New jackson concern

dig414

We just got our first jackson cham today and he keeps closing his eyes and sleeping since we got him. Even when being held. Could it possibly just be laziness or maybe sick?

The first pic is him now. The last one is him when we first got home just a few hours ago

Attachments

• 20160402_191613.jpg
    20160402_191613.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 20160402_220754.jpg
    20160402_220754.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 20160402_183455.jpg
    20160402_183455.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 165
I was told it could also be because he's stressed out or that he's been on a diff sleep schedule in our local pet store

Nah someone's educated guess although the lady at the pet store just thought he was tired. And he is used to bein in the dark after 630

Wonder if I should get him straight to a vet or just make sure he gets plenty of water an vitamins an see if he perks up in a few days.

I have been keeping chameleons for 10 years and have yet to have one (that wasn't sick) fall asleep/close their eyes while I was handling them. Then again, I don't handle them when I know they are ready to sleep. Put him to bed and see if he stays awake all day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well a chameleon is not like a "toy", i mean, you can keep it when he will be not to much stressfull like he is now. The only way first is to let him in his cage. Is it a xantho Jacksoni or Jacksoni Jacksoni ? I advice you the following conditions 25-30°C max at the high level of the cage. A good point to heat himself, a sick or stress animal need to be heat correctly. Second point, this species need good humidity. During the night keep it around 18°/20°C. And last vegetation, lot of natural vegetation to keep a good humidity. You have to use a good UVB/UVA lighting system, they need it. I hope it can help you. Don't hesitate to make it drink.

He is probably sick, but regardless, I would take him to a vet for a check up. Especially with wild caught chameleons that were kept in a pet store. Make sure you take a fecal sample with you as they will want to test them for parasites.

Well a chameleon is not like a "toy", i mean, you can keep it when he will be not to much stressfull like he is now. The only way first is to let him in his cage. Is it a xantho Jacksoni or Jacksoni Jacksoni ? I advice you the following conditions 25-30°C max at the high level of the cage. A good point to heat himself, a sick or stress animal need to be heat correctly. Second point, this species need good humidity. During the night keep it around 18°/20°C. And last vegetation, lot of natural vegetation to keep a good humidity. You have to use a good UVB/UVA lighting system, they need it. I hope it can help you. Don't hesitate to make it drink.
I would adjust these recommendations. Jacksons prefer cooler temps, so keep the daytime temps below 27C/80F. They do prefer a drop to cooler temps at night, but I wouldn't worry about it. Don't blast him with an AC unit or use a red light. Lights are also not as important with Jacksons. That being said, I would try and take him outside (supervised at all times) a couple days a week. Thick lives plants are a must though. Really helps them out.

well moutain chameleon needs a high level of UV Devokid. Cool temperature, yes but if the animal is sick it's better to be above. I breeded this species with reproductions etc.. and to be honest they like a high level of temperature and Uv. Clearly, outside it's the best way if you have the right weather now... not the case in France now :) again just advice to help from my side

he is closing his eyes because you are picking him up. it is a sign of stress.

now closing his eyes ingeneral means he is sick. probably mounth routh.

or it could be a lack of vitamin a

It's important to understand this species need important UV because of the high level of location, and not the same filter buy the cloud as in another location. So UV, humidity it's the key

What's the temperature where he's falling asleep? Is he still doing it?
Is he falling asleep in the cage and out of the cage?

What's the temperature where he's falling asleep? Is he still doing it?
Is he falling asleep in the cage and out of the cage?

Back
Top Bottom