New solar meter arrived!! And readings

Whatcamo

Ok so I received the new solar meter from Todd today lightyourreptiles.com thanks also received the Arcadia 12% 46" t5 I will be doing test on all the UVB bulbs I have so here we go All allowed to warm up for 5 minutes

Fluker's sun spot MV 100w 3 months old (his favorite bulb I have his set at 7" away and the temp is 92f)
@ 6" 70 @ 12" 55 @24" 18
3 month old exoterra reptiglo 5.0 compact
@ 2" 30 @6" 22 @12" 10
Brand new reptiglo 5.0 Compact
@2" 50 @6" 28 @12" 11
Reptisun 5.0 24" tube 3 months old
@2" 48 @6" 36 @12" 29

will edit this post with the Arcadia bulb as soon as I get it set up!!!! Thanks again Todd!

Ok so I received the new solar meter from Todd today lightyourreptiles.com thanks also received the Arcadia 12% 46" t5 I will be doing test on all the UVB bulbs I have so here we go All allowed to warm up for 5 minutes

Fluker's sun spot MV 100w 3 months old (his favorite bulb I have his set at 7" away and the temp is 92f)
@ 6" 70 @ 12" 55 @24" 18
@ 2" 30 @6" 22 @12" 10
@2" 50 @6" 28 @12" 11
@2" 48 @6" 36 @12" 29

will edit this post with the Arcadia bulb as soon as I get it set up!!!! Thanks again Todd!

Nice I just received mine today from Todd as well. I'm curious to your readings and will share mine as well.

Fun stuff

@ 6" 70 @ 12" 55 @24" 18
@ 2" 30 @6" 22 @12" 10
@2" 50 @6" 28 @12" 11
@2" 48 @6" 36 @12" 29

any particular reason you went with the 12% over the 6% i beleive the 6% is the equivilant to a 5.0.

any particular reason you went with the 12% over the 6% i beleive the 6% is the equivilant to a 5.0.

I went with the 12% because of the size of my free range than will be quickly growing also I saw the readings Todd did on the 12% and noticed it was in the hundreds so from other readings that I've read UVB reading in the shade can approach the 200+ so my thinking behind it is I can raise the bulb higher above the cage to lower the amount of UVB the Cham is getting and as the bulb deteriorates over time I'll be able to lower it to keep the same UVB reading, this is a common practice in the reef aquaria keeping hobby start the lights up higher as they are newer and put off more light as they are new and as they age their intensity dwindles off so lowering the lights keep the intensity close to the same
HTH

Well so I got the Arcadia and one Phillips brand 46" t5 HO 54w bulb guess what the Philips puts out UVB as well and here's the proof this was about 6" away ;)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332795643.440401.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332795643.440401.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 214

@ 6" 70 @ 12" 55 @24" 18
@ 2" 30 @6" 22 @12" 10
@2" 50 @6" 28 @12" 11
@2" 48 @6" 36 @12" 29

Thank you for posting!
It is good to get this information out there.

Folks need to know this.

It does hold true that you get what you pay for when buying UV B Bulbs.

:)

I went with the 12% because of the size of my free range than will be quickly growing also I saw the readings Todd did on the 12% and noticed it was in the hundreds so from other readings that I've read UVB reading in the shade can approach the 200+ so my thinking behind it is I can raise the bulb higher above the cage to lower the amount of UVB the Cham is getting and as the bulb deteriorates over time I'll be able to lower it to keep the same UVB reading, this is a common practice in the reef aquaria keeping hobby start the lights up higher as they are newer and put off more light as they are new and as they age their intensity dwindles off so lowering the lights keep the intensity close to the same
HTH

"I can raise the bulb higher above the cage to lower the amount of UVB the Cham is getting and as the bulb deteriorates over time I'll be able to lower it to keep the same UVB reading"

This is great thinking.... and can save money!

But I always have to point out I will not knowingly sell a 12% Arcadia t5 for a Chameleon unless the owner has a Solarmeter to test the set-up.

(I knew Whatcamo knew what they were doing. :) )

The Arcadia 12% T5's are fantastic.... but they would be too much for a shade loving lizard if placed too close.

However, At the correct distance as tested with a Solarmeter... they will OUTLAST any other UV bulb set up available and save money.

The Arcadia 12% T5 would have to be put FAR away at first.
And then tested every month or two.
And moved in closer as the UV B out-put decays over time.
Thus keeping fairly constant UV levels at the area where the animal inhabits.
The bulb will last a LONG TIME in a set up like that.
I have heard folks telling me they have got 2 years or more out of a bulb.
And the animals were still receiving more than ample amounts of UV B.

If you compare the cost to using something like an Exo Teara that must be replaced every 6 mo..... you can compute what one is truly the real deal. ;)

Thank you !
Todd

great anwsers... i was thinking of using the 12% and now i belive i will,
and Todd im waitin.................;):)

Ive been using the 12 in my new hood and cage. Ernie has 2 favorite hang out spots.... 1 reads 108 & the other reads 65:)

@ 6" 70 @ 12" 55 @24" 18
@ 2" 30 @6" 22 @12" 10
@2" 50 @6" 28 @12" 11
@2" 48 @6" 36 @12" 29

Thanks for posting these :)

I am somewhat confused by your numbers though....I was under the impression that a tube light should generally give off smaller numbers than a spot light due to the distribution of light in the bulb (same lumens put out, but in a much wider area) but your 3 month old tube light is putting out way more light at distance than your brand new compact spot light is? How is this possible?

Also, which solarmeter do you have? The units on the numbers are quite important :p EDIT: NM saw the picture....units are in mW/cm^2

Todd brings up a great point about too much light as well. We have to remember that more does not necessarily mean better.

I am a bit at odds with your reading on the generic tube light, can you give more specs on the bulb you are reading? 54W T5HO ...full spectrum? Actinic? etc. It is very surprising to be getting a reading that high off that "plain" bulb...I knew they generated some UVB but 33 mW is on par with your 5.0 readings!

Not to be cynical, but you did calibrate it and test it thoroughly right? :) I gotta get one of these soon

Last edited:
Awesome! I love my solarmeter and my arcadias! I'll be placing another order soon for some more fixtures and bulbs:D
The 12% is a great idea to use how you are doing so, like Todd said you will save a lot of money doing it that way. Thanks for supplying those readings, are those measurements through screen? Also, your measurement of the phillips bulb, was the arcadia in the same fixture at the time of measurement? Or were there other UVb bulbs on/near at the time of measurement?

Thanks for posting these :)

I am somewhat confused by your numbers though....I was under the impression that a tube light should generally give off smaller numbers than a spot light due to the distribution of light in the bulb (same lumens put out, but in a much wider area) but your 3 month old tube light is putting out way more light at distance than your brand new compact spot light is? How is this possible?

Also, which solarmeter do you have? The units on the numbers are quite important :p EDIT: NM saw the picture....units are in mW/cm^2

Todd brings up a great point about too much light as well. We have to remember that more does not necessarily mean better.

I am a bit at odds with your reading on the generic tube light, can you give more specs on the bulb you are reading? 54W T5HO ...full spectrum? Actinic? etc. It is very surprising to be getting a reading that high off that "plain" bulb...I knew they generated some UVB but 33 mW is on par with your 5.0 readings!

Not to be cynical, but you did calibrate it and test it thoroughly right? :) I gotta get one of these soon

To answer your question its the Phillips t5 ho full spectrum that home depot sells ;)

Awesome! I love my solarmeter and my arcadias! I'll be placing another order soon for some more fixtures and bulbs:D
The 12% is a great idea to use how you are doing so, like Todd said you will save a lot of money doing it that way. Thanks for supplying those readings, are those measurements through screen? Also, your measurement of the phillips bulb, was the arcadia in the same fixture at the time of measurement? Or were there other UVb bulbs on/near at the time of measurement?

No they are in completely different reflectors about 18"-20" apart and no it's on my free range so there is no screen

Hey everyone I forgot to do the reptiglo 10.0 compact 26w
@2" 220 @6" 45 @12" 34
Also should note that all my compact fixtures were lined with crumpled aluminum foil to help with spread and reflection so I haven personally tried the reptisun compacts, but just from what I have I'd go with the reptiglo 10.0 based on those readings if I was going compact hope that helps anyone out!

@ 6" 70 @ 12" 55 @24" 18
@ 2" 30 @6" 22 @12" 10
@2" 50 @6" 28 @12" 11
@2" 48 @6" 36 @12" 29

So, with my new meter and a new arcadia 34" 12% bulb with the bulb placed 1.5" above the screen and all measurements taken from the screen top, I get the following readings.

2" 113
4" 75
6" 56
8" 45
10" 35
12" 25

I'm a little disappointed with the results according to my meter. I was hoping for about double the output with the new Arcadia 12% bulb. My outdoor readings at 11:00 A.M. with a Seattle cold wet overcast day is at 50. The UVB here in Seattle is probably only a fraction of what it is near the equator in cameroon so I'm thinking I need a considerable increase in UVB output if I even want to come close to equatorial shade conditions in my terrarium. Unless your chameleons perch within 2" of the bulb itself I don't think the 12% bulb is enough for my desire to mimic UVB conditions close to the equator in the shade. The basking area in my enclosure top out at 70 and average 40-50. However comparing the Arcadia bulb to the exo terra Cfl 10.0 that I was using, it was a huge improvement .

I also took readings of my 125watt mercury vapor UVB bulb and realized that exo terra lighting products are just plain inferior to their competitors. The readings were abysmally low, almost useless.

IMHO the Arcadia bulbs are better than others but still just don't pack enough punch at distances more than 6" with screen top enclosures.

So, with my new meter and a new arcadia 34" 12% bulb with the bulb placed 1.5" above the screen and all measurements taken from the screen top, I get the following readings.

2" 113
4" 75
6" 56
8" 45
10" 35
12" 25

I'm a little disappointed with the results according to my meter. I was hoping for about double the output with the new Arcadia 12% bulb. My outdoor readings at 11:00 A.M. with a Seattle cold wet overcast day is at 50. The UVB here in Seattle is probably only a fraction of what it is near the equator in cameroon so I'm thinking I need a considerable increase in UVB output if I even want to come close to equatorial shade conditions in my terrarium. Unless your chameleons perch within 2" of the bulb itself I don't think the 12% bulb is enough for my desire to mimic UVB conditions close to the equator in the shade. The basking area in my enclosure top out at 70 and average 40-50. However comparing the Arcadia bulb to the exo terra Cfl 10.0 that I was using, it was a huge improvement .

I also took readings of my 125watt mercury vapor UVB bulb and realized that exo terra lighting products are just plain inferior to their competitors. The readings were abysmally low, almost useless.

IMHO the Arcadia bulbs are better than others but still just don't pack enough punch at distances more than 6" with screen top enclosures.

The reflector behind the bulbs are where it is at. I bought one reptisun 10.0 48 inch bulb and got a shiny aluminum/plastic holder for the bulb from home depot for pretty cheap and my readings are over 60 from a foot and a half away.

"I can raise the bulb higher above the cage to lower the amount of UVB the Cham is getting and as the bulb deteriorates over time I'll be able to lower it to keep the same UVB reading"

This is great thinking.... and can save money!

But I always have to point out I will not knowingly sell a 12% Arcadia t5 for a Chameleon unless the owner has a Solarmeter to test the set-up.

(I knew Whatcamo knew what they were doing. :) )

The Arcadia 12% T5's are fantastic.... but they would be too much for a shade loving lizard if placed too close.

However, At the correct distance as tested with a Solarmeter... they will OUTLAST any other UV bulb set up available and save money.

The Arcadia 12% T5 would have to be put FAR away at first.
And then tested every month or two.
And moved in closer as the UV B out-put decays over time.
Thus keeping fairly constant UV levels at the area where the animal inhabits.
The bulb will last a LONG TIME in a set up like that.
I have heard folks telling me they have got 2 years or more out of a bulb.
And the animals were still receiving more than ample amounts of UV B.

If you compare the cost to using something like an Exo Teara that must be replaced every 6 mo..... you can compute what one is truly the real deal. ;)

Thank you !
Todd

Todd your service, with a new customer envolved excellent communication and great bulb protection when packaged for mail transport, so I need to place another order!

Also, may I ask about your post? What is "too much for a shade loving lizards" what is "too close" (4"? 10"?18"?) and what does "ample amounts" equate to?

Can one be too specific in a technical forum?

Attempting to scrub the generalist, non specific answers about habitats and replacing them with best practices that ultimately educate the chameleon aficionado.

Back
Top Bottom