New solar meter arrived!! And readings

So, with my new meter and a new arcadia 34" 12% bulb with the bulb placed 1.5" above the screen and all measurements taken from the screen top, I get the following readings.

2" 113
4" 75
6" 56
8" 45
10" 35
12" 25

I'm a little disappointed with the results according to my meter. I was hoping for about double the output with the new Arcadia 12% bulb. My outdoor readings at 11:00 A.M. with a Seattle cold wet overcast day is at 50. The UVB here in Seattle is probably only a fraction of what it is near the equator in cameroon so I'm thinking I need a considerable increase in UVB output if I even want to come close to equatorial shade conditions in my terrarium. Unless your chameleons perch within 2" of the bulb itself I don't think the 12% bulb is enough for my desire to mimic UVB conditions close to the equator in the shade. The basking area in my enclosure top out at 70 and average 40-50. However comparing the Arcadia bulb to the exo terra Cfl 10.0 that I was using, it was a huge improvement .

I also took readings of my 125watt mercury vapor UVB bulb and realized that exo terra lighting products are just plain inferior to their competitors. The readings were abysmally low, almost useless.

IMHO the Arcadia bulbs are better than others but still just don't pack enough punch at distances more than 6" with screen top enclosures.

What kind of reflector are you using? Do yourself a favor get this reflector and I'd bet you double your readings easy !!!
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...and-parts/36in-t5-tek-ii-retro-reflector.html
Also are you using t5 or t8 bulbs?
Also what kind of screen is it?

Todd your service, with a new customer envolved excellent communication and great bulb protection when packaged for mail transport, so I need to place another order!

Also, may I ask about your post? What is "too much for a shade loving lizards" what is "too close" (4"? 10"?18"?) and what does "ample amounts" equate to?

Can one be too specific in a technical forum?

Attempting to scrub the generalist, non specific answers about habitats and replacing them with best practices that ultimately educate the chameleon aficionado.

I have mine set also I have a very top notch reflector gave you the link for ;)
But it give my free range a spread so my Cham can receive his UVB from a range of 35 being the lowest to 120 and already he seems to be liking the areas that have a 80-95 range hope that helps a little

What kind of reflector are you using? Do yourself a favor get this reflector and I'd bet you double your readings easy !!!
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...and-parts/36in-t5-tek-ii-retro-reflector.html
Also are you using t5 or t8 bulbs?
Also what kind of screen is it?

I'm using t5ho 39 watt in a six bulb fixture with a 98% reflective quality, the screen is the screen top on an exoterra glass terrarium. It shouldn't block more than 25% at most.

What's your readings on the 12% at those distances?

I'm using t5ho 39 watt in a six bulb fixture with a 98% reflective quality, the screen is the screen top on an exoterra glass terrarium. It shouldn't block more than 25% at most.

What's your readings on the 12% at those distances?

Hey Patrick...... How much ya wanna bet that screen is blocking a heck of alot more than 25%. Take the hood off the enclosure and read again;) Get rid of the screen on the cage and replace with hardware cloth! 1/4" squares;) Run some packaging tape (The real slick kind) around the edges and crix wont be able to escape. Dave

Hey Patrick...... How much ya wanna bet that screen is blocking a heck of alot more than 25%. Take the hood off the enclosure and read again;) Get rid of the screen on the cage and replace with hardware cloth! 1/4" squares;) Run some packaging tape (The real slick kind) around the edges and crix wont be able to escape. Dave

That's exactly what I was going to suggest good point Dave

After removing the screen altogether and taking the exact same measurements a net gain in uvb output was almost exactly 100%. In other words the screen DID block 50 percent of the UVB at the same distance away from the light.

I use house, blue bottle, and hydei fly's regularly so I have to keep the screen. Unfortunately.

The meter sure is a handy tool.

They make a bigger screen material that will still keep in the flies just check out around town like home depot
Lowes and walmart you'll be able to find somethin with bigger holes just not to big

Well it's confirmed that my Cham likes the 110-115 range as that's where he spends most of the time while under his new arcadia

Back
Top Bottom