New to Chameleons - just some questions

Advanne28

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking for some time about adopting a chameleon. My first and only herp is a 3 y/o beardie, whom I absolutely adore! He's a big happy male and I really enjoy caring for him. Now I've found myself interested in chameleons because I think they are so beautiful and really fun to watch/admire. I avoided starting with one because I've read that they aren't always happy to be handled and their care is more difficult.

I'm just starting to research into chameleons before I decide to bring one home, and I have a few questions: are panthers a good chameleon species to start with? I don't know much about their personality. And what's the best age to adopt in order to ensure they become handle-able? (I've seen some pissed off chameleons and I don't want to deal with an animal I'm afraid will bite all the time.) Who are some good, reputable breeders? I'm thinking of either buying online or visiting the Tinley Park reptile show this coming October if I decide this type of lizard is right for me.

On that note, I'd also be interested in knowing why you decided to adopt a chameleon?

Any advice is appreciated!

I've read that they aren't always happy to be handled and their care is more difficult.

I've kept chameleons for over three decades, reptiles for over four now, and even I can still lose a chameleon despite having the experience, knowing the husbandry, spending the money and having the right vets. You need to do a lot of research on your own, not just asking others. Once you do jump into this, be prepared for stuff you never had happen with a beardie.

If your beardie is 3 and hasn't developed MBD yet it's a beginning...but OldChamKeeper is right about it being able to lose one even after years of keeping them....so study well....especially on this forum!

My panther is my first chameleon and so far I think it's a great starter chameleon. I think they are a little more docile than veiled's. As far as handling, some chameleons will open up to the idea and A LOT of chameleons will NEVER make that leap of faith. With that said, I am definitely all for building that trust and handling them a little here and there. To get my chameleon to trust me, I just started offering him his crickets in a cup far enough away from a branch that he had to step on something else to make it and I would provide my hand. I wouldn't make any sudden movements and I only did this for a few minutes at the beginning of each feeding. and then I would let him hunt his food. In just a week he was already running to my hand anytime I came to the cage hoping for a treat!

Chameleons are amazing animals and I truly recommend one. Although it is a big commitment. If you do decide to get one, I would recommend one of the sponsor breeders on here. I got mine from Kammerflage Kreations and the whole experience was AMAZING!

My panther is my first chameleon and so far I think it's a great starter chameleon. I think they are a little more docile than veiled's.

You are probably right. My veiled is very aggressive. If I walk up to his cage when he is in an exposed area or climbing on the side im close to he will puff up and if my hand gets within like 8 inches of him he will hiss and lunge. I have been bitten a few times.

You are probably right. My veiled is very aggressive. If I walk up to his cage when he is in an exposed area or climbing on the side im close to he will puff up and if my hand gets within like 8 inches of him he will hiss and lunge. I have been bitten a few times.
haha, and that is why I didn't get a veiled!

This is off topic, some might not like my info either, but when you have an animal that actually bites like that I keep a little spray bottle in the other hand. It bites me and I give it a quick squirt after. Chams are one of the only lizards in the world I credit for being smart enough to use that simple training on. Works on a parrot, works on a pissed lizard. Now don't expect to him to ever like you of course, but it might learn to just back off instead of biting.

I strongly encourage you to start with a panther. Get one 3 or 4 months old. Do not get one from a reptile show! Do not be in a hurry, wait a couple more months and learn as much as you can, set ip the cage and then take your time to pick a baby out!

This is off topic, some might not like my info either, but when you have an animal that actually bites like that I keep a little spray bottle in the other hand. It bites me and I give it a quick squirt after. Chams are one of the only lizards in the world I credit for being smart enough to use that simple training on. Works on a parrot, works on a pissed lizard. Now don't expect to him to ever like you of course, but it might learn to just back off instead of biting.
I did not know that could work. Thank you I will try that.

Just curious why you say this? :)

i think getting from a show you may get mishandled chams or ones with parasites that they dont tell you about. i got the beautiful panther in my avatar but he died a year later because he had the worst parasites a cham can get and he had subcutaneous worms. his poops were always orange and fishy smelling no matter how much water he drank and the medications were really rough on him. sad to say he died this past winter the day before thanksgiving. i say this to make people really ask questions at a show and look the chameleon over extensively and not buy it on a whim no matter how much you want it. i didnt know enough and i saw his poops were orange there but i really wanted him and bought him quickly.

i will say though that i have since gotten another panther whom is in perfect health from jabberwock reptiles here in massachusetts, hes a very good boy and i have never seen him hiss or puff up on me.

i was just at the new england reptile show on the 3rd and have bought another chameleon, a Fischer. i made sure i asked everything i could ask and made sure i really gave the place a complete look over and was not rash this time. he looks to be in perfect health and is just a baby, well see when he gets his first vet appointment in a few weeks. i almost bought a sub adult mellers that was a wild caught, they had 4 to choose from but 3 had bent horns and 1 was completely gone. their health looked great though, but they were all kept together in a 30 gallon fish tank. just choose wisely and ask a whole lot of questions at these shows, the only one who cares is going to be you and youll have to live with your purchase.

There is a lot that goes in to a healthy chameleon. It goes back to genealogy, health of the mother when the baby was conceived, what the baby have been fed since he hatched, his lighting as he grew up etc. When you buy a chameleon from someone who breeds chameleons because they love them, someone who gives them their best from long before they are a twinkle in their mothers eye, you get a chameleon with the possibility of a long healthy, happy future! How the chameleon is handled and how often it is handled since it hatch also affect how it reacts towards humans. A good breeder will also be there for you when you have questions long after your transaction is over! That is the kind of breeder I strive to be!!!

Just curious why you say this? :)

If you do some research on vendors who may be attending a particular show ahead of time you can visit websites and look for red flags as well as find what you think you want. Many breeders will announce which shows they plan to attend. If you look at their animals you could even arrange to see it in person.

Depending on how far the vendors have to go to attend a show, you could also see animals who have been travelling around in a van for days. That and the fairly stressful atmosphere at the show can really affect them. A good vendor will protect his animals from stress and gawkers.

Just be aware that not all show vendors are great. Some are flippers...taking poorly bred babies or recently imported herps that are hardly acclimated and trying to sell them cheap (before they show signs of illness or stress), so you need to know what a healthy cham looks and behaves like. Very risky buying a hatchling...there's so much that can go wrong even with OK care. Aim for one several months old. A good breeder won't sell their hatchlings. The Fauna Classifieds Board of Inquiry has decades of customer comments and conversations about many vendors so its a good place to look someone up.

If you do some research on vendors who may be attending a particular show ahead of time you can visit websites and look for red flags as well as find what you think you want. Many breeders will announce which shows they plan to attend. If you look at their animals you could even arrange to see it in person.

Depending on how far the vendors have to go to attend a show, you could also see animals who have been travelling around in a van for days. That and the fairly stressful atmosphere at the show can really affect them. A good vendor will protect his animals from stress and gawkers.

Just be aware that not all show vendors are great. Some are flippers...taking poorly bred babies or recently imported herps that are hardly acclimated and trying to sell them cheap (before they show signs of illness or stress), so you need to know what a healthy cham looks and behaves like. Very risky buying a hatchling...there's so much that can go wrong even with OK care. Aim for one several months old. A good breeder won't sell their hatchlings. The Fauna Classifieds Board of Inquiry has decades of customer comments and conversations about many vendors so its a good place to look someone up.

I agree....

I have attended reptile shows in the past. For the most part I have made previous arrangements with the breeder to bring a certain animal for me. I was into Ball Pythons for quite a few years. I would meet breeders in the forums and wait until they were coming to my local reptile expo to meet up.

As anything, research and feedback are key elements!

Thanks.
J.

Back
Top Bottom