New to Chams, is he healthy?

Progress! Feeling good about the structure, but would love any feedback. Going to be starting to reintroduce plants here soon.
View attachment 355847View attachment 355848
If you are using a T5HO UVB with a 5.0 or 6% bulb you want a measured Distance of 8-9 inches to the branches right below the fixture for the correct uvb. I would cross latch main branches to support poles. This makes them stronger. You can see examples of this in my album https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

Hey gang! I decided to pick up some 24”x36” sheets of coroplast (corrugated plastic) with the thought of lining two interior walls with it or, alternatively, cutting and bending them to adhere to the corners to prevent our branches/twigs from piercing the mesh.

Does anyone have experience with specifically lining the inside with this material?
I know many keepers line the outside with this for humidity. You’re using the same method I did with my enclosure. The four sticks in the corners and building a frame like that. I’ve had no issues with the sticks piercing the mesh on mine.

Alright folks! Neelix’s enclosure has plants and his lights in place. Temps are 82-83 on thé highest point/basking Branch.

What do think? I’d like more plants of course, but think this is definitely better than his current tank

Attachments

• IMG_1943.jpeg
    IMG_1943.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1948.jpeg
    IMG_1948.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 21
Alright folks! Neelix’s enclosure has plants and his lights in place. Temps are 82-83 on thé highest point/basking Branch.

What do think? I’d like more plants of course, but think this is definitely better than his current tank
That looks great! IT won't take long for that pothos to try and take over everything, and Neelix will have tons of places to explore and hide!

IF you're anything like me and can't keep plants alive, I had to add a grow light to keep things alive.... lol. This is what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if it's been said, but you want to wash all the plants you have with water and if possible, repot them with organic only soil - even better if you can put big stones (too big for your cham to eat) over the soil in the pots so that he's not tempted to munch on the dirt.

The general consensus here is to NOT feed your cham plants/salads of any kind. While it doesn't necessarily hurt them (see: eating the plants in the cage), it gives them zero benefit nutritionally, and fills their tummy with useless matter instead of nutritious insects. THey're insectivores after all, not omnivores. So to encourage your dude to eat his healthy bugs (dubias, crickets, locusts, silkworms, hornworms, black soldier fly larva (my cham's favorite!), I'd not bother with extra greens for munching. :)
I must disagree. My first Cham was a rescue. He wouldn’t eat. After watching carefully I realized that this veiled Cham couldn’t target. He was off about two inches to the right. After two to three tries he would give up. So I read that only veiled charms will eat greens in the wild. So I went to work. I researched every green plant and herb sold at the grocery store. I found that collard greens provide 1000 percent of vitamin A and vitamin K per cup for humans. In addition to that, it provides much needed fluids plus you can dust with calcium. He loved his greens and eventually got strong enough to eat and hunt live feeders. I feel that animals like humans get cravings for what the body requires. This little guy went into my herb garden and ate every little tiny oregano leaf off each plant and didn’t touch any of the other herbs. It was amazing to watch how delicate he was at doing this. So I feel it depends on the animal. It’s an easy meal that they don’t have to hunt.

That looks great! IT won't take long for that pothos to try and take over everything, and Neelix will have tons of places to explore and hide!

IF you're anything like me and can't keep plants alive, I had to add a grow light to keep things alive.... lol. This is what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sansi I had the exact same one. When you get it I want you to plug it in the bathroom and leave it for 30 minutes then go in and put your hand near the light so you can feel how hot it is. It will give you an idea of how far up it needs to be above the cage. Great job on the new digs!

I know many keepers line the outside with this for humidity. You’re using the same method I did with my enclosure. The four sticks in the corners and building a frame like that. I’ve had no issues with the sticks piercing the mesh on mine.
Thank you for weighing in on this! We’ll see how our setup does with typical misting. Happy to say he’s having his first night in a proper enclosure, looking forward to sharing more of his journey in a non-clinic thread! 💚

Thank you for weighing in on this! We’ll see how our setup does with typical misting. Happy to say he’s having his first night in a proper enclosure, looking forward to sharing more of his journey in a non-clinic thread! 💚
Haha feel free to keep sharing here too! We love updates. :)

Haha feel free to keep sharing here too! We love updates. :)
Here’s an exciting update: Neelix is fully moved in and already seems to be adjusting well to his new digs! Loving his basking branch and wandering his new space.

I have a Wyze camera looking through the top of his screen, I’ve deactivated the spot light and IR sensors in case he has any sensitivity to those. His first day’s highlights are a big yawn and leaf eating 🥰

Aaaand we have our first bowel movement since arriving home! 😅 looks good to me? But long as we’re here figured I’d post what I could see for anyone with sharper eyes.

Quite moist, mostly light brown, and just some urates that appear mostly white (he seems to have rubbed some of the urates off on a branch).
IMG_5286.jpeg
IMG_5287.jpeg
IMG_5289.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom