No uvb for a long time???

This is my first veiled chameleon the lady @ petstore did not give me a uvb bulb she gave me exo terra natural light im just now realizing cause i bought so much at once i didnt think to check i assumed she knew but its been over a month will he be ok ??

Get a UVB lamp ASAP

Probably the chameleon will be okay, any damage minor, if you have been providing dietary vitamin D, Depending on the brand of supplements you've been using and how often.
the various brands are all different in how much D they contain

I just got back from petsmart i they gave me a zoomed 18" 5.0 lamp & bulb im still like pretty shook up & upset that i let somthing minor like this get by me the calcium ive been giving contained d3 & i told her she gave me regular calcium powder exo terra" i have been giving him a muilti vit every 4 days i should prob cut back on that then to?

I just got back from petsmart i they gave me a zoomed 18" 5.0 lamp & bulb im still like pretty shook up & upset that i let somthing minor like this get by me the calcium ive been giving contained d3 & i told her she gave me regular calcium powder exo terra" i have been giving him a muilti vit every 4 days i should prob cut back on that then to?

please clarify, what brands of vitamin free calcium do you have?
what brand of calcium with D3?
what brand of multivitamin?
what do you gutoad with?
what feeder prey do you offer?

if you are gutloading well, you probably do not need multi vitamin more than 2-4 times a month, so once every 7-24 days not every 4 days.
now that you have a zoomed reptisun UVB tube, you will not need to provide much dietary D3, so depending on the brand, you'll not be using the calcium with D very often either.

It just says calcium exoterra it says nothing about d3 i feed him mainly crickets that i give fluckers orange cubes to them he seems to eat alot about 10-12 large ones a day & ever 3 days i give 4-5 cricks & a couple superworms & mealworms the multi vit is also exoterra he seems to be doing well i havent noticed any strange behavior i thought maybe he was eating so much do to lack of uvb but he has had the proper light for 4 days & still eating the same i also have a 100w basking bulb i keep his basking spot around 90

It just says calcium exoterra it says nothing about d3 i feed him mainly crickets that i give fluckers orange cubes to them he seems to eat alot about 10-12 large ones a day & ever 3 days i give 4-5 cricks & a couple superworms & mealworms the multi vit is also exoterra he seems to be doing well i havent noticed any strange behavior i thought maybe he was eating so much do to lack of uvb but he has had the proper light for 4 days & still eating the same i also have a 100w basking bulb i keep his basking spot around 90

I know lots have people have had input and I think you are doing great responding to it. Another thing that is really important is what you feed your feeders. The Flukers cubes are really not very nutritious. Prior to feeding you should give your crickets fresh fruits and veggies and perhaps a homemade or commercial dry gut load.

SandraChameleon has some great information on gut loading on her blog.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/

For crickets or roaches I use Repashy superfood and DinoFuel and then I also give fresh fruit and veggies. I buy the water crystals and make my own as needed.

For super worms I use organic oatmeal for bedding and I mix in the dinofuel and superfood.

I also give them carrots, squash, zucchini and a blended mash that I make that has payaya, green pepper, zucchini, carrots and apple. I run it through my magic bullet and freeze it in little deli condiment cups. I put those in with my feeders as well. My feeders eat better than me.

Your chameleon is what he eats and variety is the spice of life!

I don't feed mealworms at all. I find that they don't really eat any of the gut load veggies so I figure they are not very nutritious and they are lots of shell for their meat percentage. I rarely feed crickets either but thats more because I hate the smell and the noise. I use Dubia Roaches as my staple feeder, but add supers, butter worms, hornworms, silkworms and a few crickets just so they can hunt now and then. I will be starting on Green Banana Roaches in a few weeks too.

I really like feeding hormwoms as well as they help with hydration, they grow really fast though and I have had to give some away as they outgrew my chams.

Just like humans good nutrition is important to keep them healthy and improve their immunity to help them fight off disease.

You are on a great road to taking good care of your cham. You are in the right place, read and read and read some more!

Never be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes someone may have a snide answer but always remember that the only dumb question is the one that was never asked.

Welcome to the forums!!

He does seem to be pretty happy and content from those pics. Looks like your on the right track now.

Back
Top Bottom