panther chameleon not eating :O

slamwise

OK..

I just got my first chameleon yesterday morning via LLLReptile. It's a 3-4 month old Sambava Panther in a 30" Wide, 48" High, 16.5" Deep cage. Is this too large??

Because he hasn't touched his food. So far I've tried meal worms (supers in the mail). Can't do crickets.. they keep me up at night.

you can't use mealworms or superworms as your main feeder insect. try using small/younger crickets that haven't grown their wings yet. your best bet is silkworms or roaches. remember to dust all food with calcium w/o d3 everyday, calcium with d3 once a week, and a herptivite once a week, to keep your cham healthy. as well as feeding your insects fresh fruits and vegetables. you can find which foods are safe to feed your insects on this forum.

I had this same issue with both of my chameleons when I first got them. I have found that it can take a couple days for the chameleon to become adjusted and ready to eat. I also had huge success using worms as their first feeder, they definitely excite the appetite of chameleons. If you want to use worms I suggest you purchase silkworms and butterworms, they are a much healthier feeder option for your chameleon. I do not use mealworms (as well as many other chameleon keepers), because their rough bodies can offer problems to the insides of your chameleon, superworms can also do the same if not feed sparingly. Based of my past experiences with this, I would say it is too soon to worry. Give it a couple more days and use some different feeders.

Anyone chime in at any time but for a 3-4 month old panther that cage is MUCH too big. There really is no way to monitor eating behavior on a little baby in comething that big..... Also I would think for a baby you run the risk of possible injury from something that tall.

If you can't do crickets maybe you should try roaches or reconsider owning a cham. Some just don't like supers/meals. Mine will not touch a super, but loves crickets and dubias. Cup feed what you think is necessary for him to consume, then store the remaining few somewhere outside of your bedroom or have your cham outside of your bedroom. Crickets are a usual in when it comes to hunger strikes.

Pretty sure superworms can't cause impaction. But yes, mealworms can.

Are you using supers or mealworms? I know they look the same but there is a difference.

Is the food too large? This could also cause him to avoid food.

It could be a husbandry issue as well. If you suspect it is, I would fill out:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
It helps people provide some more informed answers.
The cage already seems too big, I would see about getting a smaller cage for him, until he grows.

If all else fails, see about ordering some flies. I've had many a keeper tell me that flies are the fastest way to stimulate the chameleon's appetite.

Also if you got it from lll then it is only used to free feeding with crickets. You will need to cup train this cham it will not naturally eat from a cup. A 3-4 month old panther is only going to eat 2-3 week old crickets so those will not keep you up at night. Also As an adult you can get 4 week old crickets which are pretty much the same size as a adult just have not developed wings yet, so they will not keep you up.

One more thing and I swear that's it. lol. Chams can not live on supers alone. Supers are really high in fat you would be better off with silk worms as a staple if you want to use worms.

To back up my claims on the negatives of superworms read through this thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/superworms-consensus-24250/. The problem with superworms is their high fat content and although they do have "softer" bodies then mealworms, they still are rather tough. In fact I have seen my chameleon pass a full exterior shell of a superworm :eek:, which leads me to assume that there must be some risk with superworms and impaction. Also, if your really concerned about your cage size, read through this thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/baby-cages-24961/, it has some convincing arguments for both sides.

Yeah, i had this problem with my Veiled chameleon for the first day or so but after she settled she was fine eating. This should be the same with yours :D

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I believe the chameleon has been eating now, as the food is gone by the time I get back from work. He seems to respond to opaque containers. Today I am trying out baby crickets.

However, I have never actually seen him hunt/feed when I am in the room. Do they not like being watched during feeding time?

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I believe the chameleon has been eating now, as the food is gone by the time I get back from work. He seems to respond to opaque containers. Today I am trying out baby crickets.

However, I have never actually seen him hunt/feed when I am in the room. Do they not like being watched during feeding time?

Some don't. Mine wouldn't eat in front of me for a few weeks. Try not making eye contact and sitting on the floor like 6 feet away.

After a week or so of doing this I finally got mine to eat in front of me. He is now handfeeding, and misting directly from my hand mister. Warmed up.

Some say that others just never warm up to it though, it happens.

Back
Top Bottom