Perfect Lighting Set Up for Mesh Cage in UK

Hi guys,

Some of you know that over the past week I've had major issues with my lighting due to a faulty batch of basking lamps at my local reptile store. It's been extremely stressful for both my cham and I. Basically I would really just like to be pointed in the right direction of a exactly how to set up the perfect lighting for my cham.
He is in a large mesh viv 55 x 55 x 100cm
It has been very hard on him and I don't want to get myself in this mess again.
Really appreciate all the help from this forum! Don't know what I would do without it actually!

Vicki x

Hey Vicki :)

I'm in Dubai and so I have no choice but to keep my "houses" inside where the AC is on all the time and the walls are made of concrete.. I'll send you a pic of how I have my lights set up for a panther, but keep in mind I am going to be adding another full spec light, both for the plant and additional day light as my enclosures need it, plus it adds a little extra ambient heat.

My cage is 60x60x120.. you'll see my basking lamp is elevated on one of those adjustable exoterra holder things, so I can easily monitor the temps and adjust as needed. If you have a veiled, the way I've setup the basking lamp might be really helpful.. you will reduce the chances of any burns and keep the temps just as he/she needs.

Anyway, I'll send a picture and hopefully you will find it helpful :)

Oh sorry! Should have mentioned... I use a 5.0 reptisun for UVB however most here will say a 10.0 would be better.. I'll be upgrading to a 10.0 when my lamp is due for changing.

My basking lamp is 75w and I have it tilted and on the holder thing.. it'll make sense when I send the pic!

Oh sorry! Should have mentioned... I use a 5.0 reptisun for UVB however most here will say a 10.0 would be better.. I'll be upgrading to a 10.0 when my lamp is due for changing.

My basking lamp is 75w and I have it tilted and on the holder thing.. it'll make sense when I send the pic!

I use Reptisun 5.0. And the 5.0 bulb was recommended by the breeder.

I use a 5.0 Arcadia linear uv tube fur UVB.

Basking light is a 100w exo terra daylight basking spot bulb

3d6370a39d2567c48e2ed4acc25eeee6.jpg

(100w as temps weren't high enough with lower wattage bulb, although I'll probs need a lower one during the summer depending on what temps look like, hoping for warmer weather than we're having now in the uk as u know! Lol)
Bulb is housed in an ordinary screw fitting lamp suspended from the ceiling (due to size of simbas enclosure and to make sure he can't come into contact with it and burn himself)

f0c8f2b99707d99f8069c1728037b6ec.jpg

His basking spot is about 6-8inches from the lamp. Temp is 32C or 90F

3c401d69015b13a052553f2265114257.jpg

Hope that helps :)

For the basking bulb don't waste your money on a exoterra bulb, its just a normal house hold bulb in a posh box so the triple the price. I buy packs of 20 basking bulbs of eBay for £11 a time

I use arcadia for my uvb, jungle dawn LED's for uva and ambient lighting and reg incondecant house bulbs for basking.

Who is saying use a 10.0? You've got it right with the 5.0 so don't change that

Sorry I'd read it on a few other threads where some have suggested it.. Still have a few months to go, but my 5.0 is great.

@flowerpowrgirl
Here are the pics I promised.. Sorry for the bad quality!
I have a cork tile background to keep the cold from the concrete wall coming through the cage and help a bit with humidity as well. The basking lamp is adjustable so I can make slight changes if needed.. This time of year our weather fluctuates from freezing to balmy in 2 seconds, so I need to be careful.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358791927.284567.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358791946.118604.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358791968.865771.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358791985.960982.jpg

For the basking bulb don't waste your money on a exoterra bulb, its just a normal house hold bulb in a posh box so the triple the price. I buy packs of 20 basking bulbs of eBay for £11 a time

I used normal 100w house bulbs before getting this one but they just kept blowing. Therefore I thought it worth the investment ;)

I use arcadia UV bulbs. you can use 10.0 of 4 feet high cages. they will not burn or harm the chameleon in any way. they still don't give out anywhere near as much UV as the sun so they are still fine. I personally use the 12% T5 HO on my 4 feet high cages for my panthers.

I also use household spotbulbs.

Back
Top Bottom