Photo background?

caietaro

I'm working on an upgraded cage for my male panther and I'm thinking of using a vinyl print of a Madagascar forest for the background. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a photo where I won't be violating any copyrights? I'm happy to pay for a license if its affordable. The cage will be 36"w x 48"h so I think I'll need to have a custom vinyl banner printed.

Hi caietaro,welcome to this forum.As far as the copyright,I dont see any violation if you are not using it for selling purpose.Good luck finding what you need,have a great day.

I would agree with alphakenc if you're not going to sell it for profit don't see why there would be an issue.

The issue might be finding a place that will print the image on the vinyl if they have concerns about copyright. Also finding a free image that is high enough resolution might be tough. I have seen some very nice photo backgrounds though - I do like the depth they give the enclosure.

Several people here on the forum have been to Madagascar - maybe one has a photo they would be willing to let you use? I've gone through my Peru pictures - wrong continent, but we went through a ton of forest. Lots of pictures of ruins, but nothing suitably "junglelike".

The issue might be finding a place that will print the image on the vinyl if they have concerns about copyright. Also finding a free image that is high enough resolution might be tough. I have seen some very nice photo backgrounds though - I do like the depth they give the enclosure.

Several people here on the forum have been to Madagascar - maybe one has a photo they would be willing to let you use? I've gone through my Peru pictures - wrong continent, but we went through a ton of forest. Lots of pictures of ruins, but nothing suitably "junglelike".
I hear you. I remember one time I couldn't even get them to print my own pictures of my family because they said the people who made the film had to develop it.

These guys print nifty 3d background. Look under the 3d backgrounds tab. It's nifty.

http://www.aqua-maniac.com/

There is also always carving it out of some foam. That's always a pleasurable experience.

Those are nice. Some people on the forums have made very nice foam backgrounds that look like bark or stone. It's a lot of work, but I don't think it's that difficult.

These guys print nifty 3d background. Look under the 3d backgrounds tab. It's nifty.

http://www.aqua-maniac.com/

There is also always carving it out of some foam. That's always a pleasurable experience.
Those are cool, but it looks like they have a different site for US customers, and the cheapest option they have is still $290...quite a bit more than I had in mind! I thought about making my own background out of Great Stuff foam, etc., but I prefer the look of a rain forest/jungle photo instead, not to mention the other benefits like easier to clean, easier to install, etc.

Finding a high resolution photo seems to be the first hurdle. Even the computer wallpapers that are free to use from National Geographic aren't that big.

Several people here on the forum have been to Madagascar - maybe one has a photo they would be willing to let you use? I've gone through my Peru pictures - wrong continent, but we went through a ton of forest. Lots of pictures of ruins, but nothing suitably "junglelike".[/QU
Those are cool, but it looks like they have a different site for US customers, and the cheapest option they have is still $290...quite a bit more than I had in mind! I thought about making my own background out of Great Stuff foam, etc., but I prefer the look of a rain forest/jungle photo instead, not to mention the other benefits like easier to clean, easier to install, etc.

Finding a high resolution photo seems to be the first hurdle. Even the computer wallpapers that are free to use from National Geographic aren't that big.

Another cost effective idea to consider...there are all sorts of "landscape wall murals" of many different types of forest scenes available online, and though they might be larger than the cage, you could find one that has enough detailed imagery that you could cut a nice tree/foliage section out of, get it laminated, and use that on your cage. When I set up my melleri free range room I put these murals on the walls. Only problem was that one of the melleri was determined to reach the trees. I'd find him far up at the tip of a branch close to the wall, reaching out over and over. Also, there are several "forest" design printed camo fabrics too. I used one to make curtains for my bird aviary to regulate the daylength in summer.

That's actually a great idea, thanks! I've seen the wall murals but didn't think to use one of those.

You're not the first person I've heard say that the realistic-looking backgrounds has caused some confusions with their chams. I wonder how common that is and whether it outweighs the benefit of the background.

Well, I don't know if it makes every cham more frustrated...for example, in that melleri free range room only one of them kept trying to get to the mural trees but the other 2 didn't seem to bother after a couple of days. I remember someone asked about a background that included some sort of stone carving of a face (in a rainforest scene) and noticed their cham's behavior changed a lot. Something like that could definitely cause some stress, like a predator that the cham couldn't escape from.

Another idea about the wall mural. Maybe you could just put the mural on the wall behind the cage rather than attach it to it.

Well, I don't know if it makes every cham more frustrated...for example, in that melleri free range room only one of them kept trying to get to the mural trees but the other 2 didn't seem to bother after a couple of days. I remember someone asked about a background that included some sort of stone carving of a face (in a rainforest scene) and noticed their cham's behavior changed a lot. Something like that could definitely cause some stress, like a predator that the cham couldn't escape from.

Another idea about the wall mural. Maybe you could just put the mural on the wall behind the cage rather than attach it to it.
Good thinking - I may try it inside the cage and see if it bothers him and if so, try it on the wall behind the cage.

Hey Caietaro,
I had my local sign shop do a vinyl copy applied on some plastic card board, cut to exact size. They had lots of nice generic backgrounds to choose from. It was very reasonable, they do a lot of car wraps for advertising.
They are Action signs 402- 731-8596 Stan, I do lots of business with him. My Chams have never had problems with my panels, definitely helps keep in the moisture .

Hey Caietaro,
I had my local sign shop do a vinyl copy applied on some plastic card board, cut to exact size. They had lots of nice generic backgrounds to choose from. It was very reasonable, they do a lot of car wraps for advertising.
They are Action signs 402- 731-8596 Stan, I do lots of business with him. My Chams have never had problems with my panels, definitely helps keep in the moisture .
Thanks Dave, that definitely sounds like another option I can look into!

Try Murals Your Way - I used them for some removable vinyl wall hangings for my office at work. They had literally 1000s of choices, some of which would suit your needs. I agree with the advice to hang it on the wall and see how the cham reacts to it. Also get one that can be removed from the wall without damaging paint, etc. Good luck and post a pic when you are done!

Try Murals Your Way - I used them for some removable vinyl wall hangings for my office at work. They had literally 1000s of choices, some of which would suit your needs. I agree with the advice to hang it on the wall and see how the cham reacts to it. Also get one that can be removed from the wall without damaging paint, etc. Good luck and post a pic when you are done!
This is great, thank you! Looks like they have some options that could work very well.

Back
Top Bottom