Plant/garden people!

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
IDK if this falls under pets, but you guys know how I’m a rule breaker 🤷🏻‍♂️.

My wife and I have really been enjoying plants/yardscaping since I haven’t had reptiles lately. We have a decent amount of perennial gardens along with tropicals/succulent/carnivores/etc in pots. Most of our extra time/money goes to it these days lol.

Anyone have some cool plants, rare stuff, gardens, or anything else that they feel like showing off? Would love to have a thread for sharing pictures or talking about anything plant related.

Our variegated alocasia frydek loved being the center of our bio active enclosure.
IMG_4713.jpeg

Sick, do you have a picture of the overall enclosure? Love seeing unique plants implemented in bio enclosures.

Nice, seems happy in there. I feel like a lot of plants do well in Cham enclosures given that the Cham doesn’t destroy them and proper drainage is set up. The steady humidity, temps, etc do them well.

What a fun thread!

I am a Master Gardener for my county and love both outdoor gardening and indoor plants.

I collect hoyas, alocasias, anthurium, aroids, cacti and succulents.

What is your favorite carnivorous plant? I will have to post some photos tomorrow. ☺️

What a fun thread!

I am a Master Gardener for my county and love both outdoor gardening and indoor plants.

I collect hoyas, alocasias, anthurium, aroids, cacti and succulents.

What is your favorite carnivorous plant? I will have to post some photos tomorrow. ☺️
Wow that’s pretty cool. Would love to see pictures/hear about any tips you might have.

I’ll have to dig up some old pictures. I don’t have many carnivores ATM, sadly used to have more. Nepenthes are my favorites, probably followed by sundews. Flytraps too, but every time I try to keep a flytrap through winter dormancy I fail…feels like I do everything according to care sheets and they still end up dying.

So glad you asked this question!! Plants have practically become my life and I spend A TON of time taking care of them. We grow and sell carnivorous plants and our house is filled with hundreds of different varieties. Other than those, I love collecting citrus and fruit trees, orchids, plumerias, and other bright florals, and it's hard not to love my monsteras when they grow like weeds in my environment (they're monstersteras actually...)

Some pictures of my favorites...
1 - Pitcher from a Nepenthes Marpesa x Boschiana JB
2 - Pitcher from a Nepenthes Smilesii x (Sibuyanesis x merrilliana) with some curious ants
3/4 - A look inside of a pitcher (Smilesii x (Sibuyanesis x merrilliana))
5 - Large Nepenthes Miranda pitcher
6 - Dionaea Muscipula 'B-52' (Venus Fly Trap)
7 - Pitcher from a Nepenthes Viking x Ampullaria 'Black Miracle' - Black Form
8 - Drosera Capensis being prepped for an upcoming sale
9 - Indoor Nepenthes cabinet for intermediate/highland species

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 15
So glad you asked this question!! Plants have practically become my life and I spend A TON of time taking care of them. We grow and sell carnivorous plants and our house is filled with hundreds of different varieties. Other than those, I love collecting citrus and fruit trees, orchids, plumerias, and other bright florals, and it's hard not to love my monsteras when they grow like weeds in my environment (they're monstersteras actually...)

2 - Pitcher from a Nepenthes Smilesii x (Sibuyanesis x merrilliana) with some curious ants

Wow that’s amazing! Do you have a site or anything? Maybe sometime in the future I’ll buy something from you.

Do you keep any in your Cham enclosure? I had a nepenthes(not sure which type) thriving in mine under the misters and lights.

Wow that’s amazing! Do you have a site or anything? Maybe sometime in the future I’ll buy something from you.

Do you keep any in your Cham enclosure? I had a nepenthes(not sure which type) thriving in mine under the misters and lights.
I've set several aside to put into the cham enclosures, but I haven't actually moved any in. Our veiled girl eats plants like a lawn-mower, so I've been afraid to move any into her enclosure. The boys are still on the smaller side to add any to their enclosures but eventually they'll get some.

We do have a site -- mikescarnivores.com, though we are down at the moment as we move our inventory over into Shopify. We should be back online soon.

I am fond of the "Ylang Ylang" Tree (Cananga odorata). The Ylang Ylang Tree is a tropical agriculture plant that produces flowers that are processed to make perfume. Ambanja Panther Chameleons (Furcifer pardalis) are regularly found in Ambanja Ylang Ylang groves. I owned on for about 10 years and am considering buying another Ylang Ylang Tree. Ylang Ylang Trees produce spectacular flowers when these trees bloom.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I now know how to propagate pothos and wandering Jew...

In all seriousness I have 11 plants in my room now. Not sure how the heck this happened entirely. 3 pothos, 1 wandering jew, 1 braided umbrella, 1 spider plant, 3 orchids, and two plants that I have no clue what they are as they were gifts. Then you have Beman's cage in my room which has 2 hibiscus, Draceana, and a pothos.

Don't follow me for plant advice... I have no idea how the heck they are all living still.

I thought I was branching out though with my orchid experiment as I got 2 small orchids that were on deaths door and stripped them down to healthy roots. I am testing them in the water method rather than the weird soil stuff. My other one is still in the moss soil stuff as it seems to be thriving and I am too scared to kill it.

IDK if this falls under pets, but you guys know how I’m a rule breaker 🤷🏻‍♂️.

My wife and I have really been enjoying plants/yardscaping since I haven’t had reptiles lately. We have a decent amount of perennial gardens along with tropicals/succulent/carnivores/etc in pots. Most of our extra time/money goes to it these days lol.

Anyone have some cool plants, rare stuff, gardens, or anything else that they feel like showing off? Would love to have a thread for sharing pictures or talking about anything plant related.

Well we need to talk! Specifically some swaps. I have, well, everything. I can't bear to throw them away so I have hundreds of baby VFT, and I think about 100 different types? About the same number on butterworts. These pics are just what's currently outside. All are running about 6 months behind this year due to cool weather but starting to wake up finally (although I still have tuberous drosera in bloom and pygmy sundews just NOW making gemma!!)

Attachments

• Tables 6 24.jpg
    Tables 6 24.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Traps with guava 6 24.jpg
    Traps with guava 6 24.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Lg pitcher 6 24.jpg
    Lg pitcher 6 24.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 18
Well we need to talk! Specifically some swaps. I have, well, everything. I can't bear to throw them away so I have hundreds of baby VFT, and I think about 100 different types? About the same number on butterworts. These pics are just what's currently outside. All are running about 6 months behind this year due to cool weather but starting to wake up finally (although I still have tuberous drosera in bloom and pygmy sundews just NOW making gemma!!)

Wow!!! These are amazing! We would love to swap some plants with you! What zone are you in? We’re 9b.

We’ve been having a hard time finding butterworts in larger numbers this year. My husband is also obsessed with the sarracenia you have.

Wow!!! These are amazing! We would love to swap some plants with you! What zone are you in? We’re 9b.

We’ve been having a hard time finding butterworts in larger numbers this year. My husband is also obsessed with the sarracenia you have.
Exciting! I am in 10b. I'll PM you so we don't hijack this thread.

Back
Top Bottom