Plant Help

Dumzy

Established Member
Can umbrella plants be over watered? I mist my cage every day for about 45 seconds 3 times a day, just seems super wet for the plant..

Check the plant's potting soil. You can protect it from the effects of too much water by speeding up the drainage and making sure no water stands in the pot saucer (better yet, if your cage bottom can handle the runoof, don't use a saucer). Make the soil drain faster by adding in pebbles, coarse sand, perlite (in the lower parts of the pot).

I mist wayyy motr than most people and mines doing fine. You could do what carlton said above if you see its not doing well. Mine lost alot of the bottom leaves before i had a dedicated plant bulb. I dont use a saucer either

Many potted plants will drop the leaves in their "lower" shaded parts. The plant is self-pruning...getting rid of leaves that are not contributing much because they are not exposed to enough light. Supporting these leaves does cost the plant energy, so they get rid of the "freeloaders". You can keep the plant fuller by adding light in the lower area of the cage.

Check the plant's potting soil. You can protect it from the effects of too much water by speeding up the drainage and making sure no water stands in the pot saucer (better yet, if your cage bottom can handle the runoof, don't use a saucer). Make the soil drain faster by adding in pebbles, coarse sand, perlite (in the lower parts of the pot).
Do i need a drainage pan? I have no room in the cage for one...

Check out the sticky thread on the "enclosures and supplies subforum "drainage...get creative" for ideas on how to handle cage water.

I just built 2 new stands with a shower pan liner and a bathtub drain and it was super simple. Wood cost me 30$ and liner 35 for both stands. Pretty simple if you have a saw to cut wood and a drill

I just built 2 new stands with a shower pan liner and a bathtub drain and it was super simple. Wood cost me 30$ and liner 35 for both stands. Pretty simple if you have a saw to cut wood and a drill
Check out the sticky thread on the "enclosures and supplies subforum "drainage...get creative" for ideas on how to handle cage water.
Hm, i looked through that forum, is there any way i can do something without drilling? Or spending alot of money? My cage is only 16 x 16 x 30..

Hm, i looked through that forum, is there any way i can do something without drilling? Or spending alot of money? My cage is only 16 x 16 x 30..

I have a cage that size an I use one of the wire shelving racks and just drilled holes on bottom and put a bucket under it. You can get one for around $20

Well, what's your cage bottom like? So many commercially-produced cages just don't handle all the water necessary for cham care. If there isn't a lip or sides around your cage floor the water will eventually leak through the mesh at the bottom. If you set the entire cage inside a pan or over a sweater box the water can drip into that. Kind of messy, but it would work. Raise the cage up off the pan slightly so the wetness doesn't mold or corrode the cage frame. You could run a bead of caulk around the inside of the cage bottom to hold the water on the bottom, but you'd have to sponge it up eventually. So your choices are to create a drain or soak, sponge, or mop the water up with something from inside.

Excuse the clutter and whatnot, but I have a schleffera and simply drilled holes in the PVC bottom that measure the dimensions of my water collection container. I dump the water every two days or so. The schefflera is heavy enough that majority of the water drains towards the middle. Works for me and my carpet lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20160705_195747225.jpg
    IMG_20160705_195747225.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 99
Excuse the clutter and whatnot, but I have a schleffera and simply drilled holes in the PVC bottom that measure the dimensions of my water collection container. I dump the water every two days or so. The schefflera is heavy enough that majority of the water drains towards the middle. Works for me and my carpet lol.
Yea.. Im just gonna do this, ive heard wire racks are pretty cheap and sturdy.. Does it work well?

I have a cage that size an I use one of the wire shelving racks and just drilled holes on bottom and put a bucket under it. You can get one for around $20
I cant seem to be able to find a wire shelf big enough.. Any ideas where to find a 24 x 24 shelf for under $30?

They most likely make something that would fit that but it probably is gonna cost you more than you want to spend

It serves its purpose. I've heard of people buy two 16x16x36 (or whatever the dimensions are) and placing them side by side to fit a 24x24x48 cage. That is actually my plan when I upgrade to the adult enclosure.

It serves its purpose. I've heard of people buy two 16x16x36 (or whatever the dimensions are) and placing them side by side to fit a 24x24x48 cage. That is actually my plan when I upgrade to the adult enclosure.
Hm, i think im just gonna get some eggcrate grid, put that ontop of a plastic storage bin, drill some holes in the bottom of the cage and put the cage ontop of the grid.. I was also thinking of putting large rocks in the bottom of the plants pot, but i dont know how to seperate the dirt from the rocks, any ideas?

I am so sorry, but I am a newbie. I would like to ask a few questions as I am a new Cham owner but cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a new post???

I am so sorry, but I am a newbie. I would like to ask a few questions as I am a new Cham owner but cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a new post???
Click post new thread on the top of the forum

Back
Top Bottom