Plants!

New2chamz

Hey guys i was wondering if it would be alright to add some golden pothos to my inclouser but im having trouble finding organic soil this time of year were im from would it be alright to use a miracle grow potting mix with rocks on top of it? Or should i wait til i find organic also curious how people are hanging & arangments my cage is 18"18"36

You can usually get organic potting soil at one of the big box stores. I would be very careful using something like Miracle Gro as it is full of extra fertilizers and even with rocks on top chams are expert excavators and dirt eaters (one of mine). You could trying putting screening over the top of the pot as well if you have no choice on the soil. It adds another layer of protection.

For hanging plants I place wooden dowels across the top of the enclosures so the aluminum edges support the dowel I then use zip ties or heavy floral wire to hang the plants on the dowels.

You can usually get organic potting soil at one of the big box stores. I would be very careful using something like Miracle Gro as it is full of extra fertilizers and even with rocks on top chams are expert excavators and dirt eaters (one of mine). You could trying putting screening over the top of the pot as well if you have no choice on the soil. It adds another layer of protection.

For hanging plants I place wooden dowels across the top of the enclosures so the aluminum edges support the dowel I then use zip ties or heavy floral wire to hang the plants on the dowels.

Thanks il just wait then and check a few other places for organic i also added apples & carrots to my superworms & cricks as you suggested on the other post

I've used Miracle Grow for years with no issue's. It's make up is nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium which are all safe in the situations we would be using it. For some extra protection you could cover the surface with some river stone.

Carl

I wouldnt reccomend coconut fiber as they could eat it and choke or get bunged up in their digestive tracks.

IF you are worried about excess nutrients in it, do what I do. The teabag method:

Take a towel and put your soil in it and wrap it like a "tea bag"
Grab it with at the top with the towel ends so you have a "sack" of your dirt.
Take it to the tub and rinse it under warm water, massage the dirt and break it up.
The water will be red or yellow colored if there is excess salts.
Rinse until the water running out is brown or black.
You now have "organic" soil

...ahem, all soil is organic...

Like I have heard on here before. Plants need these nutrients to grow well, too much is a bad thing, and your cham eating dirt (which is ok, cham's can eat some dirt) that has high concentrations of these salts may make him sick.

I wouldnt reccomend coconut fiber as they could eat it and choke or get bunged up in their digestive tracks.

Coco fiber is very fine, even more so than soil.

But I guess I should've put "cover the top layer with river rocks". I just assumed everybody knew that already. :p

Thanks for the advice guys i have no coco fiber or organic soil but i will rinse it out expec the little white pelite or whatever it is cause ive herd storys about them eating it but it shouldnt matter cause i will cover it with rocks i was just wondering if there was somthing in the soil it would be in the plant since its growing out of it incase he eats or drinks of the plant by the way it is golden pothos im not sure the dif between that and reg pothos beside being a little brighter?

You need some serious grammar skills friend.
What do you mean by

"i was just wondering if there was somthing in the soil it would be in the plant since its growing out of it incase he eats or drinks of the plant"

Thanks for the advice guys i have no coco fiber or organic soil but i will rinse it out expec the little white pelite or whatever it is cause ive herd storys about them eating it but it shouldnt matter cause i will cover it with rocks i was just wondering if there was somthing in the soil it would be in the plant since its growing out of it incase he eats or drinks of the plant by the way it is golden pothos im not sure the dif between that and reg pothos beside being a little brighter?

Pothos are very hearty plants. They're very hard to kill.

Here's what you do.

-Take the plant out of the pot it came in.

-Brush off as much soil from the roots as you can.

-Re-pot it in coco fiber or organic soil. You can put a layer of sand or small gravel in the bottom of the pot for drainage if you want.

-Make sure you wash off the leaves really good incase there is pesticides on it.

-Put river rocks on top of soil so cham don't eat any of it. You can get a bag at a Dollar Tree for $1.
848001.jpg

And golden pothos is fine. It just has lighter leaves.

Back
Top Bottom