Plants

Belaris

Hi all

we have bought some plants for the terranium and was wondering the best way to put them in as in what kind of pot? clay to stop water leakage and if I am putting plants higher up whats the best way to do it?

thanks in advance

Gary

I am not sure what you mean by stop water leakage. The plants have to have holes in the pot to drain. If not, from all the mistings and dripping of water you will get root rot from the water saturation. The plants will start to stink and will eventually die. You can but some type saucer beneath the plant to catch the water. That is the problem with glass versus a screen cage as you can easily drill holes in the bottom of the screen cage and put a bucket or something beneath the plant to catch the water.

what I meant as well was how to place plants higher up in the terranium as in how to support it safely so it cant fall down or should I place all the plants at the bottom?

Use magnets only if you are sure they can hold the weight of the plant. Somebody uses hooks on the top of the cage screwed to a 2x2 for example. I found a "plant stand" which fits exactly in my 4' tall enclosure.

I think for large plants something like a plant stand is a great idea, like ZsaZsa just said. You can find them in the gardening section of pretty much any store for relatively little money and they come in varying heights. I used to use them to prop up my bigger plants and my chameleons used them to climb up and down the cage as well, since I had some that were 2-3' tall.

Back
Top Bottom