Please could anyone advise me with our gravid chameleon

Roche

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum. I discovered today that we have a gravid female, we found her in our garden and she stays most the time in one of our potted ficus trees outside, when the weather is bad outside we put her inside on one of the ficus trees next to the window. I dont know how old she is but she seems to be a young female, i tried doing research on them after we found her but i thought she was a male. She eats well, mainly grasshoppers, flies and crickets. She is a very friendly chameleon and doesn't mind been handled. About a week ago i noticed that she was a brownish colour most the time, i thought it was because she was getting cold but even after basking in the sun she still didn't return to her normal colour. On Friday she was so restless and she was moving all over the garden, she also didn't want to eat properly over the past few days. When i went looking for her i found her stuck in a whole that she had dug in the sand but she was all puffed up and hissing so i assumed that she was stuck so i helped her out. I now realize that this may have been a mistake because i discovered today why she has been digging which is 4 days later. I have put her back on her tree inside since Friday but she has not laid her eggs as yet and i am worried she might die, she was scratching around this afternoon in the sand but nothing as yet. I give her water and mist her regularly but sometimes she breathes with her mouth open and i am not sure why. I am worried that i do something wrong during this time and i do not want her to die, any advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom