please help!

jesilauzon

So I have had a veiled chameleon (boom) for about seven months now. Since he was three weeks old. He was very friendly in the beginning. I would hold him when he wanted to be held (he would come to me) quite often. He loved to walk around on people and sit on our heads. I used to have him out of his cage on my vine plant and he was always very happy and bright green. He always ate out of my hand. Then after about three months I couldn't find him and when I opened the door to his cage he was somewhat on the door and on the cage so he fell. I almost caught him! He fell about two and a half feet and of course he panicked. But he seemed ok. I was able to catch him and put him in his cage but he was pretty shook up. and now he won't let me touch him. He won't even eat out of my hand! I have placed a feeder in the cage and try every couple days to feed him out of a flat tray that I hold but it doesn't work. The lady I bought him from says to keep trying but it is not working! He was do friendly and now he like hates me! I know they don't like to be held often but he always did. He would come right to my hand. I can't even put him on the vine anymore cause I would have no way to get him back in his cage! I clean the cage as much add I can. Which is easy cause my plants hang and the bottom is pretty open. But he is now getting bigger and I want to up size his cage but I am worried I will never get him used to me again if he is in a large enclosure. Any tips will help. Please don't bash.

What size is the enclosure he's in now?

How long ago did that fall happen?

It could take some time before he really feels safe around you again... they're very fragile creatures.

Ender, my Veiled, fell off of my back a couple weeks after I got him and it was back to the drawing board since then. He's finally starting to come around after a few months...

Similar thing happened to me and my veiled 2 weeks ago. She was riding on my head and fell forward but luckily i caught her before she hit the ground. Now she wants nothing to do with me and will only tolerate me when I have food. I left her alone for a day after the fall because she was traumatized. She began eating three days after she fell.

I think once they trust you, then something bad happens when they are climbing on you, they make the association and you are back to square one.

He will likely come around in time, just be gentle and slow, and dont try to get him on your hand for a while, just igonre him except at feeding.

I would still offer feeders on your hand every day, but dont push it.

Let him come to you in his own time.

Back
Top Bottom