Potting soil-what to use?

Rmalone90

What brand potting soil can I use that is safe for my chameleon? I’ve read organic(fertilizer free) soil is good but ran into an issue at my local Home Depot where they had organic but was not sure if that means if it was fertilizer free. Also, they had organic soil for tomato it and citrus and flower and veggies and bedding soil(which I don’t know the difference). I didn’t buy it because I was not sure and didn’t want to take the chance. Also, any one like in AZ? I would love to pick your brain on this new life I decided to take on. I have a 1yo, that is what I was told, male Veiled Chameleon name Rango. Just got him almost a week now. Thank you in advance!

You just need "something" that doesnt have fertilizer nor water beads.

But if its organic, it should not have chemical fertilizer in it period. It might have more natty sources like manure etc.

When in doubt just get compost and normal dirt and mix. But most potting soil is going to have chemicals. Might be better off with "top soil".

I read ppl using FoxFarm Ocean Forrest Soil, however I noticed there are little white pebbles while I was watching the video. Any input on that? Thank again. Back story. I went to get Dubai roaches for my tarantula and saw Rango. When I was looking at him he crawled down and onto the screen and I thought” I think he wants to go home with me. This is a destiny!” Well, I didn’t NO research besides talking to the pet store owner and he said they were easy to take care of. To find out that it is NOT an ideal choice for a beginner. I‘m doing things backwards. Everything that is now coming along. I ordered ALL the correct stuff for Rango(based off countless HOURS of YouTube videos and reading. I’m excited!!

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpeg
    IMG_0460.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 10
I read ppl using FoxFarm Ocean Forrest Soil, however I noticed there are little white pebbles while I was watching the video. Any input on that? Thank again. Back story. I went to get Dubai roaches for my tarantula and saw Rango. When I was looking at him he crawled down and onto the screen and I thought” I think he wants to go home with me. This is a destiny!” Well, I didn’t NO research besides talking to the pet store owner and he said they were easy to take care of. To find out that it is NOT an ideal choice for a beginner. I‘m doing things backwards. Everything that is now coming along. I ordered ALL the correct stuff for Rango(based off countless HOURS of YouTube videos and reading. I’m excited!!
That’s what happened to many of us. I hate that there is so much misinformation out there. If you’d like us to, we can do a full husbandry review to make sure everything is just right. Also, we’d love to see pics of him!

That would be great!! This is the day I got him. Unfortunately, every time I get close, he tends to go off and hide. Trust is not there quite yet
Hi. This may help. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/ Veileds aren’t terribly ‘friendly’ and much prefer that we just leave them alone (except for food time), but it’s still important to build and then maintain trust.
For potting soil, it is next to impossible to find any that doesn’t contain perlite (the white styrofoam-like bits). I’ll use organic garden soil and then add some things like coco coir, chopped sphagnum moss, horticultural charcoal and other organic materials to loosen it up a bit and help it maintain some moisture and nutrients.
For a full husbandry review, copy & paste the following with your answers and make sure to provide pics of your enclosure, supplements, etc. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Veild Chams are munchers. They could potentially eat things that are in the potting soil. Even with organic potting soil - I could not find soil without branch shavings, vermiculite and perlite. I covered all of my plants with fine mesh to keep the little mucher out. He frequently eats Pothos and Money Tree leaves. He would eat the stuff in the soil if he could bypass the mesh🤣

Veild Chams are munchers. They could potentially eat things that are in the potting soil. Even with organic potting soil - I could not find soil without branch shavings, vermiculite and perlite. I covered all of my plants with fine mesh to keep the little mucher out. He frequently eats Pothos and Money Tree leaves. He would eat the stuff in the soil if he could bypass the mesh🤣
Oh my gosh mine tooooo! It’s ridiculous!

I ordered large river rock. Hopefully that helps lol

They sell a brand near me locally at the Home Depot called "Near Source". I don't know how wide spread it is.....? The employee told me they only carried it because of local marijuana growth operations. I use it extensively at my house because I have a ton of plants. The blue bag is better for flowering plants. The pink bag is better for something like a chameleon cage.

It doesn't use perlite (white balls) but rather coco coir to help with soil drainage. Adding coco coir or sphagnum moss to any terrarium/vivarium soil is a good idea to help deal with water.

It doesn't have any fertilizer in it. So when you use the soil it's better to mix in some earthworm castings or a small amount of organic granules. It would need very little given the slow growing environment of most chameleon cages.

You can get a kitchen sifter and run some soil through it to get some stick free top layer.

Thank you! That’s very helpful! I guess I’ll return what I purchased yesterday?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 13
Thank you! That’s very helpful! I guess I’ll return what I purchased yesterday?
That doesnt look bad. I see no chemicals nor things like water beads or other white things noe vermiculite.

People need to realize that plants do need "food" not just scorched earth dirt. So they are going to have poop, dead plants, etc, in this case they also have meal worm husks :)

I think organic soil should be fine, just make sure you cover it with rocks when it's in the enclosure to make sure that your chameleon won't eat the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom