Prego?

sunflower316

We bought a mating pair of chameleons about three and a half to four weeks ago and we were told that they had already mated.
Does she look pregnant to yall? Is it likely they will be fertilized?

Attachments

• 20240902_214704.jpg
    20240902_214704.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 6
She does. Do you have a lay bin in her cage?
She’s not in the cage with the male or anywhere she can see him now, is she?

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons. You’re starting off a little fast if you have no reptile experience…but hopefully you and the chameleons will get through it all well.

You need to put her in a separate cage right away. It’s very stressful for her to be there…especially when she’s gravid.

What substrate is in the lay in?

Over all we have 4 chameleons, 2 giant day geckos, 2 leopard geckos, 1 yellow head dwarf gecko, 2 dart frogs, 1 iguana, and 1 tortoise. Also to include 1 hedgehog, 3 parakeets, 3 conures, 2 cats, 3 dogs, 1 pig, and over 400 gallons of freshwater fish (just got started on our saltwater set ups) 😅😅

I have only had a male of chameleon though so this laying is new to me 😬😬

I don't believe dividing would work out I'm happy to get her into a different enclosure All advice , welcome on creating the best environment

Hi. That will not work for a chameleon. Each one needs their own enclosure of at least 2x2x4’ and no substrate…especially calcium sand! If they accidentally eat some (and a laying girl will), it compacts in their bellies and causes a bowel obstruction. If you don’t identify it and get it treated quickly, it will be fatal. I honestly don’t know of any animal that calci sand is safe for. Use just regular play sand, like what is used in children’s sand boxes. You can find it at Lowe’s, Home Depot and others near the concrete. I strongly suggest for you to read this. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/
It’s absolutely essential that all of your husbandry is correct in order for your girl to not have any egg laying issues. If you would like to do a full husbandry review, just ask. You can also find a ton of info at https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Will this work for a temp enclosure?
Unfortunately not, and it will within no time negatively affect their health. Each chameleon will needs its own enclosure, with at least 2x2x4 dimensions. I’m seeing red lights, is that correct? Are you using UVB lights?

Why buying a breeding/mating pair? Do you have all the equipment to incubate the eggs probably? Enclosures for the young ones? Potential keepers once they’re old enough to go to their new home? Is the couple non related to each other, to rule out inbreed and reduce changes of deformation or abnormalities?
These are things to think about and get setup before starting to breed.

Unfortunately not, and it will within no time negatively affect their health. Each chameleon will needs its own enclosure, with at least 2x2x4 dimensions. I’m seeing red lights, is that correct? Are you using UVB lights?

Why buying a breeding/mating pair? Do you have all the equipment to incubate the eggs probably? Enclosures for the young ones? Potential keepers once they’re old enough to go to their new home? Is the couple non related to each other, to rule out inbreed and reduce changes of deformation or abnormalities?
These are things to think about and get setup before starting to breed.
I quickly realized it was way to small so I have posted pictures of another one.
It just kind of happened honestly and now I am doing my best to get ready.
They are not related to each other.
Yes we use uvb light as well.
Yes we have an incubator on the way.
I have not worked on enclosures for the Little ones yet since we are looking at 6 to 9 months of incubation.
Also talking to some more local shops to potentially get the juveniles homes when the time comes.

That pic shows she is gravid and angry. I highly recommend reading everything in this husbandry program.... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Just the set up she was in was not correct. Red lights can harm their eyes and being housed with the male I am honestly shocked they have not killed each other by now. But you need to make sure your husbandry is 100% on point. From removing all the fake plants and ensuring UVB lighting is correct (must be a T5HO with a 5.0 or 6% linear bulb not a compact screw in) along with proper placement for branches. Also need to make sure the supplementation is on point. This is going to be extremely important not only while she is developing/holding eggs but after. IF she is holding a large clutch egg binding is high risk for her. Get her enclosure set up properly asap because the more stress she has the harder it will be for her. She should not be able to see any other chameleon at all this will increase her stress.

Depending on how many eggs she lays you could end up with a ton of babies. This means a ton of individual set ups. This is by no means cheap or easy but it is what is best for the chameleons. It is not easy finding homes for babies especially when you are not a reputable breeder. I would start researching everything you can on caring for hatchlings and getting everything you need for their set ups. You should not sell any of the babies until they are at minimum 3-4 months old. Younger than this and they can die very easily. So look into places like rainbow mealworms to get your insects/pinhead crickets and fruitfly cultures from. You will need a lot for a clutch of babies.

I quickly realized it was way to small so I have posted pictures of another one.
It just kind of happened honestly and now I am doing my best to get ready.
They are not related to each other.
Yes we use uvb light as well.
Yes we have an incubator on the way.
I have not worked on enclosures for the Little ones yet since we are looking at 6 to 9 months of incubation.
Also talking to some more local shops to potentially get the juveniles homes when the time comes.
Alright, just double checking. Chameleons keeping and especially breeding can be though and expensive hobby and obligation 👍🏻✌🏻We only wish the best for everyone, the animals and yourself.

Back
Top Bottom