Prices????

here in florida i can get a 2 foot hibiscus for 5 bucks at walmart and i just got 2 3 foot ficuses for $4.44 they were 50% off normally 9 something at walmart as well. But the only problem with walmart is they don't label well and the employee, most at least, know nothing about plants. home depot folks can help a ton though, most of them know their stuff and can point you in the right direction

You guys are so lucky to live in Florida. I grew up there until i was 16 and hibiscus grew like a weed in my old yard, its everywhere out there. :D

Last week I was looking for Ficus trees and couldn't find any at lowes or walmart.

I would check again later. Ficus is very very common, at least everywhere I have lived.

I just picked up a Hibiscus today from Home Depot for about $5.50. I was not very excited about any of the ones they had but finally settled on a cultivar called "Santana". I figured any Hibiscus named after one of the best guitarists of all time has got to be good! (Now, if I ever name a Hibiscus cultivar, its gonna be named "Slash").

By the way, down the road, if anyone wants to trade cuttings (or buy some if you do not want to trade) I plan to get a nice collection going pretty soon here. Swapping might be fun. I have a few really nice plants that are on the safe lists that would look awesome in a cham cage! I am propagating them now.

So, moral of the story- try home depot! They had some for $5, some for $10, and a few for $19. Osh, if you have one locally, has some very nice colored ones too!

Oh yeah, also picked up a 3 foot tall ficus from Lowes. Made an outdoor area for him with the ficus and a few banana trees (for support- it was windy today).

Anyone know if bananas trees are safe?

You may have to either opt for fakes or start with small plants and grow them up yourself. I've seen some partial real plants at Hobby Lobby or MJ Designs for about the same cost.

You may have to either opt for fakes or start with small plants and grow them up yourself. I've seen some partial real plants at Hobby Lobby or MJ Designs for about the same cost.

What is a "partial real" plant? Is that like the plant analogue of a cyborg or something?

I got 2 ficus and a schellefra for £10 from dobbies. There only a foot high tho. They had larger ones for around £20 or £30. And I found a hibiscus in poundstrecher of all places for £2.99. In had no buds yet but a month in front of my window lt doubled in size. :)

I'm not sure what kind of chameleon you are housing, but in my Cham cage I house baby quads (temp in the mid 70's and humidity 70-100%).

I go out side to a ficus tree growing in the neighbor hood or even lowes or home depot and cut off a tip from one of the ficus trees. I took pieces as large as 7-8 inches before. I take that cutting home and cut off almost all the leaves. Leaving only a few leaves on the tips of the branches. I stick the branch in soil/sand or even just a well drained soil and put it in the cage. Provided heat and most importantly humidity, over time it will grow roots and start its life as a tree. It's called cloning and I saved a lot of money cloning various plant just with this method alone. There are other methods out there, but this seems to work for me. I use my clones to furnish my baby cages. I actually have about 6 ficus trees growing right now in my baby cage. When the chams get bigger, the plant will have roots and will be able to support the larger chams.
Total cost for a ficus - $0

Hope this helps!
Mikey

3ft ficus from Dobbies comes with a gaurantee. Not sure if it guarantees against chams and locusts ha ha. £20

Great that was no help at all considering I dont know what lowes is and Walmart is non existing in the uk :) cheers anyway though!

Back
Top Bottom