Pricing Question for nosy be pair

ilovereptar

A local breeder is currently having problems hatching his nosy be's because of the high heat here in Texas (He is a farmer and doesn't have them indoors). As a result, he offered me a pair of Nosy Be's that are 13-15 months old, a male and a female. He offered me the Male strait up as is for 250$, and if I bought the female he would sell me the pair for 400$. She has yielded two clutches, neither of which hatched. Again, he does everything out doors for some weird reason, so I'm not so worried about the casualties and the possibility of her being infertile. He said that assuming I kept her outside, she probably wouldn't be able to have eggs until around September (thats when the temperatures start to fall to the high 80s low 90s here in Austin).

Should I just buy the male, assuming 250 is a good price, or should I get the pair and take the gamble on the female? WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

the pricing sounds fair...i would just make sure that they both look alright...were the clutches she laid fertile?

I'd do what Justin said. Make sure though before you buy them you have done your research, especially in females with all their laying bins and eggs and what not. If you're buying them to breed make sure you have don your research on that too, a lot of it :) !!

He says they were, but again I have to go on what he says. He sounds like a legitimite guy. Would asking him 350$ be pushing my luck?

He says they were, but again I have to go on what he says. He sounds like a legitimite guy. Would asking him 350$ be pushing my luck?

400 is pretty good if they are both a year and a half old breeding pair...especially since it will be a local pickup (im assuming) so that will save you your extra $50 in shipping...but it never hurts to try :D

well if he kept the eggs outside all the time and in the open and not covered or in the shade that might be the reason why they didn't hatch. also from what i've been told and i have read eggs need to be a certain temp and a little cooler at night. several people do the closet method and that seems to work too. so he might be hurting them and thats why they haven't hatched also make sure if you plan on breeding they are not related he probable only let her mate once and that was it i'd let it happen a few times if you plan on doing it. but 400 is a good price for an adult pair. if you would rather have babies i know tiki just had some up recently and kammer has 2 clutches brand new they are up from two different bloodlines plus their pops are very nice blue so i'd check with them and price is 275 for both sexes!!!

First of all price shouldnt be the deal maker or the deal breaker. I'd start by asking for pics of their enclosure. Then I'd ask what are his feeders he uses. What supplements does he use and how often? Then I'd want to know as others have suggested if they are a related or unrealted pair. Where'd they come from? (what breeder etc..)

If i saw that his husbandry was correct I'd then start trying to nail down a firm price.

As far as breeding goes I wouldnt even consider that until they had a cpl of months minimum to acclimate to new suroundings. If your going to be moving them to indoor enclosures its going to take longer for them to acclimate.

As for the reasons his eggs arent hatching? There are so many factors that go into a successful incubation period. If he isnt using vermiculite or perlite and keeping the medium moist that could be the reason. Or he could be incubating at too high a temp. Or it could be many other factors.

Reactions: Hoj
I really like seeing your name buddy, because you are Texas Panther Guy, and I live in Austin. The farmer is from Georgetown area. He sounded like he just wanted to meet me at a public place and sell his chameleons to me. I asked if I could come visit his farm to see the animals, but he was quick to turn me down. He didn't have pictures of them.. I was kind of going to go and if I didnt like what I see, just not purchase them, but at the same time I'd like to see what they are accustomed to and what I am actually going to be taking care of.

Anyways--> I just had my 5 month old jackson pass away today, so i am not going to go threw with this guy offer. I'm going to get my ambilobe in a legit set up before I persue more chameleons.

I really like seeing your name buddy, because you are Texas Panther Guy, and I live in Austin. The farmer is from Georgetown area. He sounded like he just wanted to meet me at a public place and sell his chameleons to me. I asked if I could come visit his farm to see the animals, but he was quick to turn me down. He didn't have pictures of them.. I was kind of going to go and if I didnt like what I see, just not purchase them, but at the same time I'd like to see what they are accustomed to and what I am actually going to be taking care of.

Anyways--> I just had my 5 month old jackson pass away today, so i am not going to go threw with this guy offer. I'm going to get my ambilobe in a legit set up before I persue more chameleons.

smart choice any good breeder will let you and encourage you to come and want to hear you ask to check out their facilities people that don't probably are running a puppy farm. and mis treating their animals stay away and put out a notice on cl about it to let other people know. but like i said kammers got some great clutches that are up for reserve same with tiki and at good prices too. sorry to hear about your jackson and good luck with your future endevors with you next cham!!!

Is there a website I can go to for the kammers clutch, or should do I need to find it through the forums- i'm confused :(

www.chameleonsonly.com and they are one of the sponsors for this site. they will hold it and you only have to put 25 down for a male and they will let you make payments if your going to buy several and let you know when they are ready to be shipped out thats the site and they are kammerflauge kreations!!! great people to work with.

Back
Top Bottom