Problems with shedding.

Oldman_crumpets

I have a female Veiled chameleon and it’s been three days and she has made no new progress on her shed. She shed all of the skin on her head and most of her legs with no problem, but she hasn’t shed the skin on her body yet.

Attachments

• 5540A8AE-AD3C-4832-A661-A079C692AE13.jpeg
    5540A8AE-AD3C-4832-A661-A079C692AE13.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 140
I tried making her a dripper but she doesn’t drink from it she really hasn’t been drinking lately so s that because if the shedding?
no. they should at least drink. not eating is normal, but they should always be drinking. mist very frequently and leave her alone after you mist. A lot of chams won't drink in front of their staff.

What are your current humidity levels? What do her urates look like?

I would refrain from increasing misting until you post a pic of her urates or give a detailed description of what they look like since increased misting in counter-intuitive for a chameleon shedding.

What are your current humidity levels? What do her urates look like?

I would refrain from increasing misting until you post a pic of her urates or give a detailed description of what they look like since increased misting in counter-intuitive for a chameleon shedding.
I keep her humidity around 50 60%. I’ve been looking constantly for her waste but I can never found it I only found it once about a week ago.

Yup those are her urates! They look fine to me. A little yellow is not out of the norm. Okay so since your humidity seems fine and she seems hydrated from her urates, we need to dive a little deeper. Can you post pics of her entire enclosure and answer these questions in as much detail as possible?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and how often are you using them?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

She is a female veiled chameleon she’s been in my care for about 3 weeks. I handle her about twice a week. I feed her about 6 crickets a day(some times she doesn’t eat them all) I gut load them with carrots, cucumbers, apples, Romain lettuce, and collard greens. This is wear I think the problem is I’ve been using repti calcium supplement with D3 once every 3 days because I got sold the wrong type. I ordered some with out D3 it’s supposed to get here on Friday then I’ll do Calcium for 6 days then D3 on the 7th. I leave my mister open over night then spray her cage 4 times a day for about a minute. I don’t always see her drink I tried making a dripper, but she doesn’t drink from it. Her poop is dark brown and urate is white with a bit of yellow/ orange.she manly stays in the right half of her cage and she doesn’t move around a lot maybe every couple hours. Her cage is a repti breeze screen cage 2 feet wide2 feet long and 4 feet tall. I use a 60 watt basking bulb, and a zoomed T8 5.0 UVB bulb. The ambient temperatures in the cage is around 75 and in her basking spot it’s about 90. To maintain her humidity I missed about four times a day and have coconut soil, moss and live plants in her cage. The cage is near a ceiling fan a fish tank and The table it sits on is about a foot off the ground I live in ohio which has dry cold winters rainy springs and hot humid summers.

Yup those are her urates! They look fine to me. A little yellow is not out of the norm. Okay so since your humidity seems fine and she seems hydrated from her urates, we need to dive a little deeper. Can you post pics of her entire enclosure and answer these questions in as much detail as possible?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and how often are you using them?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
She is a female veiled chameleon she’s been in my care for about 3 weeks. I handle her about twice a week. I feed her about 6 crickets a day(some times she doesn’t eat them all) I gut load them with carrots, cucumbers, apples, Romain lettuce, and collard greens. This is wear I think the problem is I’ve been using repti calcium supplement with D3 once every 3 days because I got sold the wrong type. I ordered some with out D3 it’s supposed to get here on Friday then I’ll do Calcium for 6 days then D3 on the 7th. I leave my mister open over night then spray her cage 4 times a day for about a minute. I don’t always see her drink I tried making a dripper, but she doesn’t drink from it. Her poop is dark brown and urate is white with a bit of yellow/ orange.she manly stays in the right half of her cage and she doesn’t move around a lot maybe every couple hours. Her cage is a repti breeze screen cage 2 feet wide2 feet long and 4 feet tall. I use a 60 watt basking bulb, and a zoomed T8 5.0 UVB bulb. The ambient temperatures in the cage is around 75 and in her basking spot it’s about 90. To maintain her humidity I missed about four times a day and have coconut soil, moss and live plants in her cage. The cage is near a ceiling fan a fish tank and The table it sits on is about a foot off the ground I live in ohio which has dry cold winters rainy springs and hot humid summers.

Attachments

• 49C3DC56-D5F3-4F23-977B-1A3AE5ACFC5A.jpeg
    49C3DC56-D5F3-4F23-977B-1A3AE5ACFC5A.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 95
I knew this sounded familiar... I helped you on your older thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-chameleon-getting-ready-to-shed.174208/#post-1555693

Glad to see you are making changes. You'll also want to order a multivitamin (I use Reptivite without D3). And stop using the calcium with D3 in the meantime. Can you clarify what you mean by "leave my mister open overnight"? Also you'll want to lower that basking temp and get her a new UVB bulb. The one I mentioned in your other thread, T5 linear.

I knew this sounded familiar... I helped you on your older thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-chameleon-getting-ready-to-shed.174208/#post-1555693

Glad to see you are making changes. You'll also want to order a multivitamin (I use Reptivite without D3). And stop using the calcium with D3 in the meantime. Can you clarify what you mean by "leave my mister open overnight"? Also you'll want to lower that basking temp and get her a new UVB bulb. The one I mentioned in your other thread, T5 linear.
I fill up her misting bottle at night and leave the cap off to let some of the water evaporate. I’m currently working to fix the problems. When she basks she turns dark even at the high temperature is that just instinct?

Back
Top Bottom