Question about uv and shade

Georgieabc123

Hi I have a 4ft repti breeze and it's very heaverly planted he spends most his time in the middle and top of the Inclosure but I'm thinking if he spends alotnof time in the shade is it possible he's not getting enough uv he has a 5% 250 w basking bulb and a 12% UVB tube I hear about uv being filtered out by mesh so I went for a higher percentage Hes eating. And drinking brilliantly he has a mixture of pure calcium and super pig and then he's food is gut loaded with repashy gut load and potato for moisture please let me know if things need to be altered thank you

Hi I have a 4ft repti breeze and it's very heaverly planted he spends most his time in the middle and top of the Inclosure but I'm thinking if he spends alotnof time in the shade is it possible he's not getting enough uv he has a 5% 250 w basking bulb and a 12% UVB tube I hear about uv being filtered out by mesh so I went for a higher percentage Hes eating. And drinking brilliantly he has a mixture of pure calcium and super pig and then he's food is gut loaded with repashy gut load and potato for moisture please let me know if things need to be altered thank you

It sounds like a wonderful set-up.
But between the screen, the shade, height, and the lower out-put tube...
you are right... you might be on the low side as far as UV B goes.

You don't happen to have a Solrmeter 6.2.. or are able to borrow or rent one?
That way you could tell for sure how much that particular screen mesh is dropping the UV.

My "gut" feeling is that you will need to "up it" to a 10% or 12% tube to compensate for the loss.
(Maybe even a T5 tube / fixture for added lumen & UV output.)

But my advice is to first check the readings on the set as it is now to see what you are getting...and them go from there.:)

Otherwise, its like flying blind. :eek:

Cheers!
Todd
www.lightyourreptiles.com
PS. I have been doing testing lately & it is surprising how different screening, (ie: mesh size & color) filter out UV differently.
I will be making the findings know down the road.:D

I had a question about this too. Almost exact same set. 4 ft reptibreeze lots of plants and vines. I havent put my cham in it yet but i was going to use a reptisun 5.0. are you suggesting going to a 10.0?

I have not got a meter to read the uv it's is a 12% tuBe and a 5. %uv basking bulb already I'll have to get one those meters from work just don't want him to be without

OK, but why dim a 250w lamp? Why not just use a more reasonable wattage lamp that produces the correct temp? Thats like using a fire hose to fill a glass of water :eek:

How about this
IMAG0120.jpg

I just wanted to point out ferguson wrote that in his laboratory, panther chameleons would actively regulate their uvb exposure for vit d production. In other words- if they needed more, they would seek it out and bask near the tubes for longer periods.

I think that unless there is a heat problem near your uvb source, your chameleon will probably move out of the shade and near the uvb source if it needs more uvb than it is getting...

That's good to know he is mostly at the top and then goes into the middle for bit sounds like he could be regulating his temperature and uv just making sure because other lizards I've kept would not do this but they have all been terrestrial so glad to hear that its ok :D

Back
Top Bottom