Quick question!

Pascal45

Hey guys i have had my baby chameleon for about 4 days and i think he is like 2 months, im not really sure, but my questions are,how do i know he is drinking enough, when i mist him he trys to get away, why does he ocasionaly open his mouth, and i found i guess his droppings but the color looks kinda funny and i want to see if its suppose to look like this- http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=t83cxt&s=6

let me know please:)

If he's sufficiently hydrated it should be all white. If it's slightly tinged with yellow it's not too bad but just keep an eye on him/and make sure he drinks.

Do you have a dripper & how often do you mist?

If he's sufficiently hydrated it should be all white. If it's slightly tinged with yellow it's not too bad but just keep an eye on him/and make sure he drinks.

Do you have a dripper & how often do you mist?

yes i have the little dripper and i mist him like every 2 1/2 hours because when i mist the water gets absorbed really quick, idk why it gets absorbed so quick, i have all fake greenery stuff and i have a big vine/branch running throughout the cage and would getting a misting system help?

If it's not an aggression response or respiratory infection, he's probably opening his mouth to cool off. It's called gaping. What are your temps and how are you measuring them?

You know he's drinking enough based on the color of the urates in his feces. All white means he's well-hydrated.

I love having a misting system but you have to be ready to deal with the drainage and additional expense of distilled (or purified) water. Even though purified water is purified, it can still contain minerals which will clog up the nozzles/motor on a misting system. It will probably just take a very long time. If your humidity is below 60% you should consider getting some live plants to help keep the humidity up. The fake plants have a tendency to dry out quickly and don't really provide a whole lot of help keeping his cage humid. What kind of enclosure do you have? screen or glass?

You should not directly mist your chameleon as they can inhale the water and cause a respiratory infection. Mist the plants around the chameleon. Also consider the temperature of the water -- should be room temperature or a little higher.

Hey I read through the thread and what I did for my Velied, although she is about 5 months old, I recommend letting the dripper drip onto a leaf of some sort, I have a system where my dripper drips on fake leaves that I indented on and so it goes from the first leaf to the second and drips on those two the entire time so there is a consistent area of where water is so she knows exactly where to get it from. By the look of the picture though his urate does look a bit yellow/orangish. You are misting correctly but try not to mist directly on him especially with cold water, I am very sure you would hate being sprayed with cold water :D lol but other than that my recommendation is to also make sure you are gutloading the crickets so that they get enough water also. It will help a lot. Hope this helps!

If it's not an aggression response or respiratory infection, he's probably opening his mouth to cool off. It's called gaping. What are your temps and how are you measuring them?

You know he's drinking enough based on the color of the urates in his feces. All white means he's well-hydrated.

I love having a misting system but you have to be ready to deal with the drainage and additional expense of distilled (or purified) water. Even though purified water is purified, it can still contain minerals which will clog up the nozzles/motor on a misting system. It will probably just take a very long time. If your humidity is below 60% you should consider getting some live plants to help keep the humidity up. The fake plants have a tendency to dry out quickly and don't really provide a whole lot of help keeping his cage humid. What kind of enclosure do you have? screen or glass?

You should not directly mist your chameleon as they can inhale the water and cause a respiratory infection. Mist the plants around the chameleon. Also consider the temperature of the water -- should be room temperature or a little higher.

it is screen and to cut to conclusions, what should i be doing to make sure he is getting the right amount of water?

Hey I read through the thread and what I did for my Velied, although she is about 5 months old, I recommend letting the dripper drip onto a leaf of some sort, I have a system where my dripper drips on fake leaves that I indented on and so it goes from the first leaf to the second and drips on those two the entire time so there is a consistent area of where water is so she knows exactly where to get it from. By the look of the picture though his urate does look a bit yellow/orangish. You are misting correctly but try not to mist directly on him especially with cold water, I am very sure you would hate being sprayed with cold water :D lol but other than that my recommendation is to also make sure you are gutloading the crickets so that they get enough water also. It will help a lot. Hope this helps!

he is also making a weird noise with his mouth and it sounds like he is blowing bubbles or something lol, do you know what that means?

Ah man, if you can hear him breathing it means your cham needs to go to the vet and get checked for a respiratory infection / antibiotics. If it's an infection it will not go away on its own.

There is not a specific duration you should be misting, exactly... but there is a checklist:

*urates should be white
*humidity should be 60-80% (check your care sheet for your specific species)
*cage should dry between mistings
*5 minutes HAND misting is probably a good place to start, every 2-3 hours
*there should be no standing water at the bottom of the cage

Please take your cham to the vet.

Ah man, if you can hear him breathing it means your cham needs to go to the vet and get checked for a respiratory infection / antibiotics. If it's an infection it will not go away on its own.

There is not a specific duration you should be misting, exactly... but there is a checklist:

*urates should be white
*humidity should be 60-80% (check your care sheet for your specific species)
*cage should dry between mistings
*5 minutes HAND misting is probably a good place to start, every 2-3 hours
*there should be no standing water at the bottom of the cage

Please take your cham to the vet.

i cant hear him breathing? i have only seen him do it once.

he is also making a weird noise with his mouth and it sounds like he is blowing bubbles or something lol, do you know what that means?

You said you can hear him blowing bubbles? I would say that's him breathing with an infected chest but only a vet can tell you for sure.

I think its just gaping you are hearing lol Which if it is wouldnt worry about it. I am no vet but if he has only done it once and does not do it consistently don't worry about it. If it comes up again and he is doing it quite a bit I would take him. To me it just sounds like he is gaping, which my female veiled will do every now and then and I am pretty sure she even burps sometimes lol :D

and dont let laysnordah scare you, I am sure he/she is just trying to guide you in the correct direction as well, not trying to bash you or anything

Not intending to bash at all. Just concerned =)

I don't think anyone would intentionally do something to harm their pet, especially if they're asking for help!

The bubbles thing (to me) is a red flag. I'm not an expert, just mentioning what I've read after spending at least 400 hours reading this forum.

Not intending to bash at all. Just concerned =)

I don't think anyone would intentionally do something to harm their pet, especially if they're asking for help!

The bubbles thing (to me) is a red flag. I'm not an expert, just mentioning what I've read after spending at least 400 hours reading this forum.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the bubbles but i mean like I said if it isnt consistent and just a one time thing I wouldn't think it to be a problem. And by no means was I bashing you at all so please dont think that :D and ha tell me about it jeesh I spend so much time on here lol

Blowing bubbles

That sounds like the beginning of a respiratory infection (RI). I just went through a very traumatic week with my girl, who just passed on yesterday and she definitely had an RI at the end. My advice, get her to the vet ASAP and get some baytril (antibiotics). It is spendy but your little Cham is worth it! Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom