Rare locales?

Nicodemayo

Avid Member
Just wondering how the commonly seen panther locales have become more mainstream than other locales that are more rare in the pet trade. Is it because they are much more rare in the wild or what? I was looking at http://www.pardalis.be/Eng/ENGindex.htm and saw the Masoala locale and it looks absolutely incredible. Why havnt locales like that and some of the other listed locales made it way into the market yet?

Wow, great pic! I saw a few males that looked exactly like that, imported by Sticky Tongue Farms in the 90's. Their collector told them they were from Nosy Boraha although most animals I've seen from there aren't quite the same. Also, the animals I've seen in wild pictures from the Masoala Peninsula looked more drab, similar to Tamataves. One way or another, great looking animal. I've been wanting to see more like them for a long time!

As to why more locales don't come in, I'd be interested in hearing the answer to that too. There are definitely more very distinct locality-types such as Nosy Komba, Nosy Tanikely, and Joffreville/Montagne d' Ambre, etc. Many of the importers say they can get whatever locality-types they request, why not something new?

oooooooooooooooooooooh I want one! :)

Meeeee too. When I saw them before, the white is just incredibly vivid. For some stupid reason I bought one of the more standard looking males from that same locale and have always kicked myself for not getting one of the white ones.

Just wondering how the commonly seen panther locales have become more mainstream than other locales that are more rare in the pet trade. Is it because they are much more rare in the wild or what? I was looking at http://www.pardalis.be/Eng/ENGindex.htm and saw the Masoala locale and it looks absolutely incredible. Why havnt locales like that and some of the other listed locales made it way into the market yet?

:eek:
I have been looking all over to buy one.
Nosy Boraha is not rare at all.
It is not imported to US because they are the "less" colorful Panther.
Therefore, it is not that profitable to sell one..
sigh.. I have always want one..

dodlah, rare in the US- yes they definetly are rare. It's rare because it's not imported.

This panther locality also resempbles individuals from Fenerive doesn't it.

See Kent! This is why I must get over there!

Its like everything else supply and demand. No market for a certain chameleon because of its signal color. If I had a chance I could not pass on a remarkable example of a species. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

How does an importer know if its not in demand if they never try selling some! I know if an adult cham or its offspring like the one above were listed in kingsnake or on here they'd be gone QUICK.

:eek:
I have been looking all over to buy one.
Nosy Boraha is not rare at all.
It is not imported to US because they are the "less" colorful Panther.
Therefore, it is not that profitable to sell one..
sigh.. I have always want one..

Less colorful or not, that is still one the most awesome Cham's I've ever seen. I wouldn't pass up the chance to own one of those at all. I think Nico has a good point. Put a few of those up on the market and they would definitely be gone quick. We have proof right here of interest.

He's like a beautiful peppermint! Just don't try to lick him! Someone, talk to an importer! I want one! No, I want 4!

Oh yeah, I saw that... but that's a ridiculous amount of money for a bland-colored chameleon, even if the locale is rare. I think it's pretty outrageous that a panther chameleon would get so close to a parsonii in price, especially since the locale will probably become common place in a year. I might pay as much as $600 for a juvenile Masoala, but I think that's even overpriced for a panther. But it's awesome.

I'll bet! Some people just want to be the first... probably the same ones who bought translucent veileds as well for 2G's. LOL

He's like a beautiful peppermint! Just don't try to lick him! Someone, talk to an importer! I want one! No, I want 4!

lol... that's a great picture..
I saw homer licking frogs.. but a chameleon. "hmmmmm peppermint.."
I'll start the drawing :)

Back
Top Bottom