Red bulb at night?whats normal?

guessmegg

Hello!
I am new to this thread.
Recently I had gotten a veiled chameleon about two weeks ago.
I'm nof sure how old she really is but my brother assumed 5 months since she is not that big either.
He normal daylight baskin spot is usually at 85..
I had bought the "chameleon kit" which came with the screen cage which i believe the size is :
Item Dimensions
Item Height 30 IN
Item Length 16 IN
Item Width 16 IN
I have a humidifier but I am not sure how humid it gets since its an all screen cage..
But i do have a digital therm for the Light/UVB..
I wanted to ask if for the night,Do i leave a heat light on?
Is it okay?
I recently bought a Red Light Bulb
Incadescenf Bulb (75W)
For the night..
I bought it because I know winter is coming really soon and well in the new apartment I moved in last winter.
It was pretty much freezing day/night.
Right now the weather outside hits low 60's and its already pretty chilly in my room. And i feel like it can get lower later on,and I dont want my chameleon to "freeze" so
I did keep the red bulb on at night but she will go towards it but by the end of night (midnight) she will move away from if like more towards a shade place
I'm not really to sure what to do
Because I read that turning off the lights is Okay? And keeping the regular bulb&Uvb on during the day (12hours) is okay?
After 12 hours ,I turned on the red bulb and I don't want my chameleon to be so tired if the bulb wont let her sleep or if its not good for her,because I do see her move throughout the night to find a good place to sleep? And eventually she does but what kind of sleepin is normal? like do they wake up randomly ?Like before we would wake up the same time at 7am and thats when i turn the light&uvb on and turn it off at 7pm but proceed with the red bulb..
I dont think she has mind it alot but it wasnt until yesterday and today like shes' been tryin to hide more into shade.. and sleeps alittle longer and I was worried so
Yesterday as she "slept in", she often woke up when I did but this time she didnt and I tried to gently poke her tail and she changed colors like spots of dark ,but still green and then she did not open her eyes for a while then I was really worried.
So i tried to mist her a bit but still nothing,she wouldnt move either.
Then i turned on the humodifier alittle higher and luckely this worked and slowly she opened her eyes and started moving (she was all green,normal color) and started eating and drinking water and I even fed her by hand .
I just dont want to have to worry alot on whats normal and what not.
If you guys can please help me ,I would appreciate it
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 94
To answer your main question: Lights Off at night
Chameleons (and a lot of other lizards) have a 3rd eye on top of their heads (looks like a scale) called a parietal eye.
The parietal eye mainly detects lights and dark and it serves as a
defense against predators that strike from above.
If you leave the lights on at night, even if it's just a small light or not disturbing to you, it will disturb the rest of your chameleon.

If temperatures drop to far (<50F) use a ceramic lamp (it just gives heat, not light).

To answer your main question: Lights Off at night
Chameleons (and a lot of other lizards) have a 3rd eye on top of their heads (looks like a scale) called a parietal eye.
The parietal eye mainly detects lights and dark and it serves as a
defense against predators that strike from above.
If you leave the lights on at night, even if it's just a small light or not disturbing to you, it will disturb the rest of your chameleon.

If temperatures drop to far (<50F) use a ceramic lamp (it just gives heat, not light).

Thank you!:)
So a ceramic light emmiter? Or lamp?
Should i get a black one or white?
How many Watts?
I'm still new to this
Sorry

Thank you!:)
So a ceramic light emmiter? Or lamp?
Should i get a black one or white?
How many Watts?
I'm still new to this
Sorry
That's ok we're here to learn too and to share experiences...

Black or white doesn't matter, they don't give light so it's just color...
Watts will depend on how low the temperature drops, on size of the enclosure, type of the enclosure etc... It will be lower watts than your basking bulb for sure.

You only need it if room temperature falls below 50F at night!

That's ok we're here to learn too and to share experiences...

Black or white doesn't matter, they don't give light so it's just color...
Watts will depend on how low the temperature drops, on size of the enclosure, type of the enclosure etc... It will be lower watts than your basking bulb for sure.

You only need it if room temperature falls below 50F at night!
It's a open cage screen and well im not to sure how low the temperature drops yet since winter is bearly coming but I just checked ths chameleons thermo which is at 75 ,i just turned off his red bulb and its time for his day ones,is it okay to turn them on now?since its time for the "12 hours",but will he be mad?
And i only had the size in dimesions not gallons
Its a medium one
Item Dimensions
Item Height 30 IN
Item Length 16 IN
Item Width 16 IN

I would just switch off the red and remove it and switch on the day lights when it's time for those...
Most houses don't drop to 50F at night, I have to open my balcony door (Even in winter) to help lower the temperatures in my chameleon room.

Just take a peek on his thermometer at night every once and a while to check the temps and if they go near 50F you can either switch on the heater or get that ceramic lamp.

I would just switch off the red and remove it and switch on the day lights when it's time for those...
Most houses don't drop to 50F at night, I have to open my balcony door (Even in winter) to help lower the temperatures in my chameleon room.

Just take a peek on his thermometer at night every once and a while to check the temps and if they go near 50F you can either switch on the heater or get that ceramic lamp.
Thanks!!:)

Back
Top Bottom