Regular Eye Cleaning or Something Else?

BakedGoodies

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Nosy Faly Panther Chameleon (name Barney). Male. 4.5 months old (born 4/10/11). Owned him with my boyfriend since May 2011, about 6 weeks old.
Handling - Take him out daily and he seems to enjoy it. Will bring him out in the sunlight for short periods of time or let him sit with us while doing computer stuff.
Feeding - Approximately 10 medium (4 week old) crickets daily. If he runs out, I put more in since he's a growing boy. We hand feed him just for fun sometimes. In the morning, I put the crickets in a "milk jug" holder. It's a Fiji bottle with a portion cut out and a screen on the back for crickets to climb up, attached to the upper side of the cage.
Supplements - Calcium w/o D3 daily. Calcium w/ D3 first Sunday of every month. Herptivite Multivitamin last Sunday of every month.
Watering - We have a home-made misting system that drips into two cages. It runs every hour for one minute. Once daily we also mist with a hand sprayer warm water for a few minutes for extra humidity.
Fecal Description - A little on the thick side. Brown with white and some orange. Never had feces checked.
History - Came from a breeder in Florida. A child of Iceman from Chameleon Company. Was housed with an unrelated female until a month ago.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 3.5 feet tall, 2 feet deep, 1.5 feet across. Wood frame but all screen.
Lighting - Repti Glo 5.0 tube. 60 Watt household basking light (will up it in a month or two as he grows). The UVB tube is in a reflective ballast that sits on top of cage. Timer turns on the light and misting system at 8AM and turns off at 8PM.
Temperature - Basking Spot:85F
Floor temp: 74F
Humidity - The average humidity level is 60%.
Plants - Hanging pothos plant with the vines intertwining with those bendable fake vines around the cage.
Placement - Our room. It is a second story studio apartment that was once an attic. Keeps in humidity. The cage is near a window so we keep one of the windows open to allow extra humidity and sunlight onto the cage. Use a blanket to cover cages when the lights go out to keep a tight light cycle.
Location - Rancho Cucamonga, CA. It's West San Bernardino County in the Inland Empire, about an hour outside of LA.

Issue: I know when they clean their eyes, they get the bulging thing going on. He shed about two weeks ago and I noticed he did it a lot about then to clean the skin off. Now his eye is doing the bulging thing daily and he keeps trying to clean it. I use a warm mister for about five minutes and he sits there and basks in it. I've also taken him in the shower to see if the extra humidity will help him clean it.

It just looks different than what I've seen before on him. Sometimes he'll close the eye and then do the "rolling bulge" movement and I'll see something red in the slit, and then his eye will return to normal size and it'll all look normal. He's just been doing it a lot. He'll close his eye from time to time too for short periods of time (about a minute), with the left eye (unaffected one) open.

We also have a female in the same setup and I never see her doing this.

I haven't been able to get a picture of the eye doing this. As soon as we take him out, the eye returns to normal. Is it possibly an infection? Or does he need Vit A?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Nosy Faly Panther Chameleon (name Barney). Male. 4.5 months old (born 4/10/11). Owned him with my boyfriend since May 2011, about 6 weeks old.
Handling - Take him out daily and he seems to enjoy it. Will bring him out in the sunlight for short periods of time or let him sit with us while doing computer stuff.
Feeding - Approximately 10 medium (4 week old) crickets daily. If he runs out, I put more in since he's a growing boy. We hand feed him just for fun sometimes. In the morning, I put the crickets in a "milk jug" holder. It's a Fiji bottle with a portion cut out and a screen on the back for crickets to climb up, attached to the upper side of the cage.
Supplements - Calcium w/o D3 daily. Calcium w/ D3 first Sunday of every month. Herptivite Multivitamin last Sunday of every month.
Watering - We have a home-made misting system that drips into two cages. It runs every hour for one minute. Once daily we also mist with a hand sprayer warm water for a few minutes for extra humidity.
Fecal Description - A little on the thick side. Brown with white and some orange. Never had feces checked.
History - Came from a breeder in Florida. A child of Iceman from Chameleon Company. Was housed with an unrelated female until a month ago.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 3.5 feet tall, 2 feet deep, 1.5 feet across. Wood frame but all screen.
Lighting - Repti Glo 5.0 tube. 60 Watt household basking light (will up it in a month or two as he grows). The UVB tube is in a reflective ballast that sits on top of cage. Timer turns on the light and misting system at 8AM and turns off at 8PM.
Temperature - Basking Spot:85F
Floor temp: 74F
Humidity - The average humidity level is 60%.
Plants - Hanging pothos plant with the vines intertwining with those bendable fake vines around the cage.
Placement - Our room. It is a second story studio apartment that was once an attic. Keeps in humidity. The cage is near a window so we keep one of the windows open to allow extra humidity and sunlight onto the cage. Use a blanket to cover cages when the lights go out to keep a tight light cycle.
Location - Rancho Cucamonga, CA. It's West San Bernardino County in the Inland Empire, about an hour outside of LA.

Issue: I know when they clean their eyes, they get the bulging thing going on. He shed about two weeks ago and I noticed he did it a lot about then to clean the skin off. Now his eye is doing the bulging thing daily and he keeps trying to clean it. I use a warm mister for about five minutes and he sits there and basks in it. I've also taken him in the shower to see if the extra humidity will help him clean it.

It just looks different than what I've seen before on him. Sometimes he'll close the eye and then do the "rolling bulge" movement and I'll see something red in the slit, and then his eye will return to normal size and it'll all look normal. He's just been doing it a lot. He'll close his eye from time to time too for short periods of time (about a minute), with the left eye (unaffected one) open.

We also have a female in the same setup and I never see her doing this.

I haven't been able to get a picture of the eye doing this. As soon as we take him out, the eye returns to normal. Is it possibly an infection? Or does he need Vit A?

Is the female in with him, or just has the same cage setup?
as for the eye, its possbile something is in it, try getting some plain saline solution and puttinga drop in the affected eye.

The female is in a separate cage. They lived together until about a month ago (from what I researched, they needed to be moved around 3-4 months), and now their cages are side by side. I don't think they're stressing each other out with the visibility of each other, but I can put something between the cages if necessary.

Regular human saline solution, or does it need to be a pet-brand?

And here are some pics of the guy. They aren't the best quality but it's from my phone. It shows a few of the stages of him cleaning it, plus a shot of the cage.

Attachments

• IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 186
agree with the saline, i use plain old no name saline, nothing added ( like the different visene formulas )

Thanks, guys! We used saline solution twice yesterday, about six hours apart. Haven't seen any eye problems today, either :) He's such a trooper. He didn't freak out or anything when we put the drops in.

Just curious: does Vit A have anything to do with this type of issue? I was going to pick some up if the problem persisted, but I never saw the other eye have any problems. Should I get some anyway? I've heard some people on the forum do a weekly or monthly dose of Vit A. Is this a smart idea?

Back
Top Bottom