Regulating temperatures in the coldest of weather

IzzieC

Hi! Any tips for regulating the heat during the brutal freezing temps that have struck the southern US these last few days? I have a heater in my room, but it just can't keep up. (Temps rise to about 75 and that's it). My mom did put up a sheet blocking my door to trap the heat in my room a little better, but I thought someone might have been through this before and had a better idea....

Tonight's low is 0 :eek:

i had a few candles running all day and that heated my room up pretty well. I also had to upgrade my bulbs... i would the candles and see if it helps...

Be careful that your chameleon doesn't get burned with all the extra wattage. Keep an eye on your temps at the highest basking branch. You may need a second heat source, but keep in mind that the extra heat may further dry out your enclosure. It's tough keeping them warm and humid in the winter months. I have a humidity issue here in Chicago the winter months

I have been misting more frequently to keep the humidity up...it's a little bit of a struggle but it's usually between 60-70 except for early morning (it was below 50 this morning). So far, after we put up the sheet, I have been able to maintain right around 80-81 at the warmest part of her enclosure. We are snowed in, so I can't get higher wattage bulbs for another day or so.

You can wrap 2-3 sides of the cage with clear plastic (think shower curtain) to keep in the humidity. It might help you keep heat in the cage where you need it. Keep up the misting. You can drape a small damp towel over one side at night for extra humidity while you sleep. You could even put clear plastic over your window to prevent heat loss out your windows.

Back
Top Bottom