REpost:need help, running from flood with 3 young chameleons

jackschamnewbie

I was evacuated from my house today, as a river appeared in my backyard and has now consumed my house. seriously...

I took my babies and their smallest enclosures and as many supplies as I could fit in my small car and am now trying my very best to care for them the way I just was at home, only now in a hotel room.

If there is anyone that has ever traveled with chameleons for maybe a reptile expo or for any reason really, I really need some advice and any important "do's and dont's" you might have

Idk what to do and this is not a topic i have the time now to research.

sorry about the repost, I just really need advice asap. Please, if you can, let this stay in the wrong place for a few hours. It sort of does sort of pertain to enclosures right?

I was evacuated from my house today, as a river appeared in my backyard and has now consumed my house. seriously...

I took my babies and their smallest enclosures and as many supplies as I could fit in my small car and am now trying my very best to care for them the way I just was at home, only now in a hotel room.

If there is anyone that has ever traveled with chameleons for maybe a reptile expo or for any reason really, I really need some advice and any important "do's and dont's" you might have

Idk what to do and this is not a topic i have the time now to research.

sorry about the repost, I just really need advice asap. Please, if you can, let this stay in the wrong place for a few hours. It sort of does sort of pertain to enclosures right?

small dark box w/ something for them to grab onto works the best, the dark keeps them calm and having a stick to grab does the same thing

you in CO? sorry to hear about the evac

Here is how I handled the move from southern California to Montana. We were on the road for 3 days.

During the day in the car they were in travel boxes. Just regular boxes with a small branch stuck into the sides so they didn't slide every time we braked. At night when we stopped for the night, they were in the bathtub. After hubby & I had taken showers, it was really humid, so the pop up butterfly cages went into the tub and it became daytime. I know that was backward but it was the best I could do. I left the light on all night, along with a sink full of water to help with humidity. After they were awake about an hour or so I went in and hand sprayed with a minter bottle I had brought along. Then I fed them and I went to bed. For those few days they did not have UVB.

I just did what I could and that is all you can do. I hope all is well with the chams, but Mose of all you be safe. If you have any questions shoot me a pm and I will be here for you.

You must be in Colorado? Here's what I did when I had to move over a few days with chams: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ferretinmyshoes/733-traveling-chameleons.html
I hope everything is okay with your house and everything! If you need to just keep them somewhere separate and safe I'd be happy to set them up at my vet clinic until you get things figured out. Just let me know if you'd like to do that. Or even at my house, which fortunately is not near any rivers.

My offer stands for anyone affected by flooding in Colorado btw!

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the help and advice, the babies have settled in and are eating and basking like normal. For being so young they handled the trip very well. I am trying to feed them lightly as I forgot the basking lamps but the mesh hampers and travel boxes have been a huge help.

This is a really great community of some seriously good people. I am lucky and very happy to be a part of this. Really, thank you.

Anyone else affected by the flooding in Colorado, I wish you the best and if anyone needs help, please send me a pm. I will be on here for most of the day.

Where are you evactuated to? Are you is a big shelter, hotel, home or what? If you need supplies, we can get them to you if you are such that they would get to you. I am happy & thankful you any your chams are ok.

Last edited:
I live in Colorado as well, thankfully my home was barley affected by all the floods. I hope you and your chams are ok. As ferrit said if you need a safe place for your chams to go until your recovered your more than welcome to have them stay with me. Good luck hope everything turns out ok

Back
Top Bottom