Reptisun Compact Fluorescent?

Have a look at this thread, which explains how to tell if the product is from the older batches that caused issues or the newer batches that hopefully are okay
it seems some of the old stock is still around even now.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/repti-sun-cfl-old-vs-new-31927/

as well, some feel the tube style lamps are better not just because of less wavelength danger, but also because the UVB is available under the length of the tube, rather than just a circle spot under the CFL dome.

Last edited:
Have a look at this thread, which explains how to tell if the product is from the older batches that caused issues or the newer batches that hopefully are okay
it seems some of the old stock is still around even now.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/repti-sun-cfl-old-vs-new-31927/

as well, some feel the tube style lamps are better not just because of less wavelength danger, but also because the UVB is available under the length of the tube, rather than just a circle spot under the CFL dome.

Wow! Thank you a bunch. I did not think they were great. I just wondered if there were some innovations on it recently because the pet stores seem to really be pushing these rather tan the long tubes.

not surprising, since they take up a lot less shelf space.

Full disclosure: I have used ReptiGLO 5.0 UVB CFLs and had no issues, though I more frequently have used tubes. I think either can work.

I have used the CFL's for my small cages when i house babies and such.

I use the TUbes for my big adult cages.

I had no issues with the CFLs.

I just dont use them with adults becuase i have bigger cages that need more light.

While many have found success with these bulbs I advise you to be cautious. The FDA does not regulate CFL bulbs, only because of the IESNA is there any warning label on the bulb. Many recent studies have found that they admit dangerous chemicals and because of their shape the phosphor coating tends to crack and allow significant levels of UVC and UVA which can damage healthy tissue and may cause melanoma. Although these studies were based on humans it may or may not be applicable. However I would have to infer that if it can cause damage on a being as large as a human that it may not be a good choice for a smaller living being. The FDA only finds it crucial to regulate the radiation from X-rays and large equipment...
I think it would be worth while to read the German study as well as the one by Stony Brook University on the matter.

Here is the current FDA CFL bulb regulation standards-

Although FDA regulates CFLs under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 21 Part 1000, there are currently no specific standards or annual reporting requirements for CFLs. Manufacturers of CFLs are subject to CFR 21 part 1002.20, which requires CFL manufacturers to report accidental radiation incidents should any occur. In addition, CFR part 1003.10 requires manufacturers to notify FDA in the event of a product defect or failure which would result in an accidental exposure incident.

http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-Emitti...es/HomeBusinessandEntertainment/ucm116400.htm

are you talking about the zoomed reptisun mini linear? like a CFL but not curly twisted? like tubes stacked next to eachother?

zoomed has a very high standard of testing for natural and un natural radiation in their uv lamps. They also have not switched manufacturers since 2008 meaning hteir recipe of gasses in the light has not changed. fancier wording and descri[ption available on google

I believe the one you are looking at has a single turn at the end, rather than a coil.

the degree to which phosphorus cracks poses a concern is not known. Most sources suggest its a non-issue if you are further than 8" from the bulb. Closer is not recommended for extended periods.

if you want to avoid the possibility of issues, go with the tried and true reptisun tube. Or reptiglo so long as you know to change the bulb more frequently than repitsun requiresd.

I believe the one you are looking at has a single turn at the end, rather than a coil.

the degree to which phosphorus cracks poses a concern is not known. Most sources suggest its a non-issue if you are further than 8" from the bulb. Closer is not recommended for extended periods.

if you want to avoid the possibility of issues, go with the tried and true reptisun tube. Or reptiglo so long as you know to change the bulb more frequently than repitsun requiresd.

Thank you Sandra- this is more or less what I was getting at.
The fact that they can pose a threat should make people not want to use them seeing as there are other trusted products on the market that the majority use and have used for years.

Back
Top Bottom