Resource questions

I came to the same conclusion! ;) The fact that the fixture is labeled PRO T5 and that’s the fixture for the 6% HO bulb… the previous owner putting the wrong bulb in it is irrelevant… the fixture is compatible with the PROT5 6% HO bulb I need to get…

So it seems it has enough wattage for the 24 watt but can also support the shade dwellers reduced wattage needs similar to putting a 35 watt bulb into a fixture that can support a 60 watt bulb.

Phew! I need a drink! ;) as if chameleon care wasn’t complicated enough!!! ;) thanks to all for the feedback and info ❤️
I feel you! When I first got my veiled it was like drinking water from a fire hose trying to get everything right for her and learning as much as you need to to ensure you are caring for them correctly. To say that its a LOT is an understatement. Just hang out here and ask all the questions you need, we are all more than happy to help you in any way we can.

I feel you! When I first got my veiled it was like drinking water from a fire hose trying to get everything right for her and learning as much as you need to to ensure you are caring for them correctly. To say that its a LOT is an understatement. Just hang out here and ask all the questions you need, we are all more than happy to help you in any way we can.
It’s very much appreciated!!!

So while I’m waiting for the ordered bulb and set up (went with a larger unit for the future larger set up) is it ok to use:

1) the small 6% bulb that doesn’t penetrate as deeply into the enclosure but is close to a basking spot

2) The T5 fixture with the shade dweller 7% bulb for now just until we get the new set up. I know it’s not correct nor ideal but wondering if it’s close enough to 6% that it would be better than having no penetrating T5 light at all?

Also…

Do you condition all the tap water? (Drip, mist, fog)

Is the water conditioner comparable to fish water conditioner that they could be used interchangeably?

Thank you so much! ❤️

Ok. So it seems whomever you obtained your uvb from, they had put a 7% uvb bulb in a standard ProT5 fixture. That is what has been mucking us up.
The shadedweller is a proT5 fixture and says it is on the side of it... It is the ballast in it that does not support the higher wattage bulbs..... This more then likely is a shadedweller kit.

It’s very much appreciated!!!

So while I’m waiting for the ordered bulb and set up (went with a larger unit for the future larger set up) is it ok to use:

1) the small 6% bulb that doesn’t penetrate as deeply into the enclosure but is close to a basking spot

2) The T5 fixture with the shade dweller 7% bulb for now just until we get the new set up. I know it’s not correct nor ideal but wondering if it’s close enough to 6% that it would be better than having no penetrating T5 light at all?

Also…

Do you condition all the tap water? (Drip, mist, fog)

Is the water conditioner comparable to fish water conditioner that they could be used interchangeably?

Thank you so much! ❤️
You are most welcome! To answer your questions:

1. Which 6% UVB are you referring to? A linear light or a screw in bulb?
2. I think some UVB is better than no UVB. the 7% is confusing because you would think it would be slightly stronger than the 6% but its not. I have never used one myself so I am not sure what kind of UVB the 7% will give your chameleon for the time being. You can also take the cham outside for some highly supervised sunshine time to get some UVB as well while you are waiting for the right lights.
3. I use RO water, I know others use distilled water too. Tap water will have lots of minerals and other gunk in there and it will clog up your misting and fog system really fast. Unfortunately I have never used the water conditioner so I can't really answer that question for you.

The shadedweller is a proT5 fixture and says it is on the side of it... It is the ballast in it that does not support the higher wattage bulbs..... This more then likely is a shadedweller kit.
Oh so it won't work with the 6% UVB lights? Interesting...

Oh…so is it written somewhere on the fixture what the wattage is? I would think it has to be.

Oh…so is it written somewhere on the fixture what the wattage is? I would think it has to be.
I do not know if they include the wattage on the fixture somewhere. I just know they look the same and both are called a ProT5 so if the fixture had the shadedweller in it then it was a shadedweller proT5 Kit for the 14 watt bulb.
But I am gonna go ahead and leave this thread... I just wanted to make sure you knew that. It is pretty miss leading for those that may get one without buying the original.

I’m not sure what is misleading? Other than the confusion in how things are or aren’t marked? I’m just asking questions and sharing what I see in the attempt to get clarification.

UPDATE: in response to the recent comments, I did some more research…

There is nothing on the fixture anywhere that says shade dweller, see pic of print on fixture

BUT!

The other pic shows writing on the cord that says AC 250 V 2.5 a… which is an indication of LOW POWER OUTPUT

SO…

You are correct. This is a low output system but it is very poorly marked for most people to be able to clearly confirm that it’s low output…

So…now you know whatever unit you have, if you look at the cord and it is marked AC 250V 2.5A … you can confirm that it is in fact a low output FIXTURE ;)

Mystery solved! Thanks to all for assisting in the investigation. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7136.jpeg
    IMG_7136.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7137.jpeg
    IMG_7137.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 15
UPDATE: in response to the recent comments, I did some more research…

There is nothing on the fixture anywhere that says shade dweller, see pic of print on fixture

BUT!

The other pic shows writing on the cord that says AC 250 V 2.5 a… which is an indication of LOW POWER OUTPUT

SO…

You are correct. This is a low output system but it is very poorly marked for most people to be able to clearly confirm that it’s low output…

So…now you know whatever unit you have, if you look at the cord and it is marked AC 250V 2.5A … you can confirm that it is in fact a low output FIXTURE ;)

Mystery solved! Thanks to all for assisting in the investigation. ;)
I also realized I missed this fine print this whole time until just now!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7141.png
    IMG_7141.png
    664.8 KB · Views: 13
Newbie question du jour… I have a veiled chameleon that is about 8 inches long (age is unknown)… what size does he need to be to be able to have occasional Superworm treats and what size super worms can he have? Any special preparation of the Superworm other than calcium dusting?

Back
Top Bottom