Roaches

Can I leave them in the cage with my veiled chameleon over night or do I have to take them before lights out.

Depending on the roach(what kind of Roaches are you talking about?). But i would always remove all uneaten feeders from the cage overnight. For me it was fear of escapes.

Sometimes they crawl on the reptile as it sleeps. I prefer to tub feed. It keeps all insects contained, but it allows for a small area to hunt down the insects as well. I like shoe box sized or larger tubs to feed them from.

They are blaptica dubia roaches my beardie's love them, and I was just wondering if my cham's would. I've never tub fed before I just always thought that they would just escape anyway. So can I convert my 2 Veileds to tub feed after a couple of years of just catching every thing. I thought it would be more natural for them to catch everything.

B. dubia is okay to feed chameleons. I do not typically keep bugs in the cage at night. I remove anything uneaten. People fear the bugs could chew on the chameleon while sleeping. B. dubia doesn't infest all that easily, but my personal fear of leaving them overnight is them escaping.

It is more natural for them to tub feed, but with certain bugs, it's easier to tub feed. Like crickets, you don't want any in the cage at night (loose) because they may chew on the animal. By tub feeding, you can take any of the leftover crickets out easily. Tub feeding is much better than cup feeding since they can still hunt.

I use larger tubs in my free ranges and I see the animals crawl around on the branches and run every which way to hunt the bugs down.

It is more natural for them to tub feed, but with certain bugs, it's easier to tub feed. Like crickets, you don't want any in the cage at night (loose) because they may chew on the animal. By tub feeding, you can take any of the leftover crickets out easily. Tub feeding is much better than cup feeding since they can still hunt.

I use larger tubs in my free ranges and I see the animals crawl around on the branches and run every which way to hunt the bugs down.

+1 to this. Thats what I do as well...except I just leave my tub in my enclosure. The sides are high enough and I set up sticks to go "over" my tubs so my chams just sit above hunting down with very few bugs getting out of the tub, let alone the cage.

EDIT: I feed B.Dubia quite extensively myself, but I have found that they are next to impossible to cup/tub feed cause they just go in a corner and stop moving >.< Hand feeding them is remarkably easy though

Back
Top Bottom