sand problem

rafael

well i ran out of my eco earth for my veiled cham, so i went to my local pet store and told me they ran out but will have more in 2 weeks but they sold me this one in the picture can i use it ? and if i can for how long ?

VitaSand_colors.jpg

Substrate in general is frowned upon for chameleons, they can ingest it and cause blockages.. As far as sand goes, I'd leave it in the bag.. Sand gets everywhere, and may end up in his eye or in the digestive tract..

Most people here will recommend using nothing on the bottom of the cage - no bark, no ecoearth, and definitely no sand.

Just a bare bottom and you can use paper towels if you need something to absorb water.

On the bearded dragon site they will tell you that stuff isn't even good for bearded dragons - for the same reason - Did they try to sell you a night light too? Pet stores are not always the best place to get information about what is good and bad - Check out the care sheet I try and use it as a check list so I don't forget (i'm really old )

I use doggy pee pads to catch droppings

If you go to the pharmacy you can usually get cheap, generic bed pads there that are used for people. I liked those better because they don't have some weird dog attractant. I wasn't sure if the chams would sense that. i found them to be much cheaper than the doggie ones too.

It is a bit embarrassing as a 50+ yr old woman to go in and buy them however... You have to stand in the aisle and mutter "I wonder if mom will like these ones....."

well i ran out of my eco earth for my veiled cham, so i went to my local pet store and told me they ran out but will have more in 2 weeks but they sold me this one in the picture can i use it ? and if i can for how long ?

View attachment 91749

If you want sand, just go to Home Depot and get a 80 lbs sack of it for $4. Sand is sand.

If you want sand, just go to Home Depot and get a 80 lbs sack of it for $4. Sand is sand.

There is actually a grading system when it comes to sand, some sand comes sterilized.. But don't, under any circumstances, use sand as a bedding for a cham.. I used to use reptile carpet in my little exo-terra enclosure since there was no drainage system and it would absorb some water.. I would have to take it out and dry the bottom of the enclosure every third day or so though. I'd have two pieces, so I'd always have a clean one while washing the other.. But now that his new enclosure has a drainage system in it I use nothing on the bottom.. Easier to maintain.. No substrate is good substrate

There is actually a grading system when it comes to sand, some sand comes sterilized.. But don't, under any circumstances, use sand as a bedding for a cham.. I used to use reptile carpet in my little exo-terra enclosure since there was no drainage system and it would absorb some water.. I would have to take it out and dry the bottom of the enclosure every third day or so though. I'd have two pieces, so I'd always have a clean one while washing the other.. But now that his new enclosure has a drainage system in it I use nothing on the bottom.. Easier to maintain.. No substrate is good substrate

I agree. Sand is a pain. I don't know why you would want to use it anyways.

If you go to the pharmacy you can usually get cheap, generic bed pads there that are used for people. I liked those better because they don't have some weird dog attractant. I wasn't sure if the chams would sense that. i found them to be much cheaper than the doggie ones too.

It is a bit embarrassing as a 50+ yr old woman to go in and buy them however... You have to stand in the aisle and mutter "I wonder if mom will like these ones....."

Hahaha I like to have fun with it. I use them for my girlfriends bed cage as well. I will say things like these ones might work better. Or I think these are the ones my girlfriend likes. Then watch the looks. Makes my day:D:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom