Second batch of eggs and size Oh My!

Yes I do know they grow, I should have mentioned that for others. They are still way smaller. So I did end up keeping 5, one dented already. However I did not plan on keeping so I was not careful at all.
I am still curious of it. Nobody seems to have seen it. Which makes me think the cutback in food had something to do with it. We shall see what comes of it.

See what you did, now I kept 5. I am curious. If they go past a month I may thin to one or two.

I was kind of hoping you knew more.

So you have never seen tiny eggs? I mean they are all tiny.

@PetNcs have you seen this?

A general experience:

there are like three typical statuses of clutches:
1. fully fertile
2. fully infertile
3. hybrid

ad 1. all eggs perfect, big, perfectly shaped, well developped membranes (keep fungus free during incubation)
Ad 2. all eggs dudes, usually smaller, underdevelopped membranes, soft, yellowish, waxy (usually quickly attacked by fungi, collapsing and molding)
Ad 3. all eggs with well developped membranes, some significantly smaller bit nased on shell looking good

a depict rhe general tendency, tbere sre al shader of grey inbetween.

experienced breeders will agree with me that for the wuality of eggs, you need to properly care for the female, so anz nitritional and health and hisbandry issues xan heavilyninfluence the quality of eggs

the level of fertilization of the eggs is dependent from tje female, from. Tje male and from whether amphigonia retardata is applied

now it seems that the females can diagnose whether they develop dudes or fertile eggs and accordingly invest or not
But if part is fertile, tjey go for fertile regime of producing the membrane for all includinh dufes, as they can not treat them in the oviducts individualy.
I u humbly assume, that this is exactly why my experience with significantly smaller eggs in the clitch of many good ones were all dudes

A general experience:

there are like three typical statuses of clutches:
1. fully fertile
2. fully infertile
3. hybrid

ad 1. all eggs perfect, big, perfectly shaped, well developped membranes (keep fungus free during incubation)
Ad 2. all eggs dudes, usually smaller, underdevelopped membranes, soft, yellowish, waxy (usually quickly attacked by fungi, collapsing and molding)
Ad 3. all eggs with well developped membranes, some significantly smaller bit nased on shell looking good

a depict rhe general tendency, tbere sre al shader of grey inbetween.

experienced breeders will agree with me that for the wuality of eggs, you need to properly care for the female, so anz nitritional and health and hisbandry issues xan heavilyninfluence the quality of eggs

the level of fertilization of the eggs is dependent from tje female, from. Tje male and from whether amphigonia retardata is applied

now it seems that the females can diagnose whether they develop dudes or fertile eggs and accordingly invest or not
But if part is fertile, tjey go for fertile regime of producing the membrane for all includinh dufes, as they can not treat them in the oviducts individualy.
I u humbly assume, that this is exactly why my experience with significantly smaller eggs in the clitch of many good ones were all dudes

Thank you Petr,

I had no intention of incubating this clutch, so the fertility part didn't matter. I was more concerned in the science behind it, and if it was "normal" She is doing great. It was just something I had never seen, and wanted to make sure it wasn't related to a health issue.

The diet started about a week after first clutch, so it would make sense that she would adjust.

It seems that follicular atresia can occur when times are tough...the female doesn't have enough nutrients to support so many eggs, etc....which is why I think the diet works...when it's done at the right time. I think once the female has committed to a certain number of eggs after the follicles/eggs ovulate then she can't go back.

So IMHO, if you start the diet too late...after the time has passed that the follicles can become atresic (sp ?), you're depriving the female and eggs of nutrients needed to produce proper eggs...just my opinion...so far I have no studies to prove it completely.

It seems that follicular atresia can occur when times are tough...the female doesn't have enough nutrients to support so many eggs, etc....which is why I think the diet works...when it's done at the right time. I think once the female has committed to a certain number of eggs after the follicles/eggs ovulate then she can't go back.

So IMHO, if you start the diet too late...after the time has passed that the follicles can become atresic (sp ?), you're depriving the female and eggs of nutrients needed to produce proper eggs...just my opinion...so far I have no studies to prove it completely.

Yes that was my concern. I went to the decreased feeding, to a normal amount, right after first clutch. She had been getting a large 1 - 1 1/2 inch dubia (as a volume ref.) per day on average. She is now down to a 1/2 in dubia per day average.
I was concerned that the small eggs indicated that she too was missing something.

Can you show me a Dubai roach next to a full grown cricket please...we can't keep roaches here so I have no point of reference. :(

Can you show me a Dubai roach next to a full grown cricket please...we can't keep roaches here so I have no point of reference. :(

I don't have crickets right now , but I hope this helps. I tries to find a Canadian coin, but did not have one. What she was getting and what she is getting, daily average . may be other insects
IMG_0524.jpg

Back
Top Bottom