Seeking Quads for a PHAT Breeding Op!

Ilike4hornedchams

Established Member
Hey everyone, I am super excited that I am almost done with my Huge Chameleon enclosure that I've been building for a few weeks now should be 100% done next weekend with plant and everything ready to go, which brings me to the last and most important thing I need. The chameleons! I once stumbled upon the quadricornis breed like 2 years ago an at the time I was living somewhere way too arid so I sadly had to pass, but I have moved and live in an amazingly humid area (75-95%) that is also very cool usually 55- 75 degrees F. So I am not just getting me a cham, I am starting a dope ass breeding operation. The enclosure, from what I have seen on here and youtube, will be one of the largest in the country so I will post videos of the construction I am working on editing some of them now.

But this post is not about that.

This post is to see if anyone can sell me Quadriconis quads or Triceros Quads for anything less that $150 each, I am looking unrelated quads too and 1 male 2 females. I currently can get a deal for these 3 for about $400 (Shipping included) for the three but I think someone out there can may be willing to beat the deal. if you can contact me, we will make this happen in the next week or so. If not let me know if that is a good deal for buying in such a large order. Thanks for reading!

No trying to be a jerk, but Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis is just one species. There are Trioceros quadricornis gracilior(which are available) and Trioceros quadricornis eisentrauti which you won't find.

You have potentially the largest enclosure in the U.S., and you are going to put three quads inside it...???

Quads are very territorial, and like most chameleons better off separate even if it's a large enclosure. They are also no longer imported as of last year.

No trying to be a jerk, but Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis is just one species. There are Trioceros quadricornis gracilior(which are available) and Trioceros quadricornis eisentrauti which you won't find.

You have potentially the largest enclosure in the U.S., and you are going to put three quads inside it...???

Thanks for the clarification, from all the posts I've read I had convinced myself they were two slightly difference species (Much like the slight differences between the Chameleo Jacksonii Xantholophus & Chameleo Jacksonii Jacksonii or their dwarf cousin).

Again this post is not about the enclosure or how it is separated, but I have been researching the Quads living requirements and preferences for nearly two years so I am aware, no worries. Each of these lucky three will end up having three or four times the room 99% of captive chameleons get :) (Which is 2x2x4ft if they're lucky. Note that is the bare minimum we should be offering for these amazing creatures)

The price you mentioned is a good deal, cheaper than I've seen them available recently. Just a note when I said they are territorial I meant if they can see each other they will go at it, I tried leaving mine on separate outdoor free ranges with the trees about 10ft apart, my big male quad quad was caught twice on his over to claim the smaller ones free range, if they can see a female they will harass her even if she doesn't want to mate. While a giant enclosure sounds great and all the individuals will be less stressed in separate smaller visually isolated set ups. Compared to the other species I keep they are by far the most aggressive towards each other and least tolerant of human interaction. This is a sentiment I have heard from other quad keepers as well.

Also how is your hybrid chameleon/ salamander enclosure doing?

The price you mentioned is a good deal, cheaper than I've seen them available recently. Just a note when I said they are territorial I meant if they can see each other they will go at it, I tried leaving mine on separate outdoor free ranges with the trees about 10ft apart, my big male quad quad was caught twice on his over to claim the smaller ones free range, if they can see a female they will harass her even if she doesn't want to mate. While a giant enclosure sounds great and all the individuals will be less stressed in separate smaller visually isolated set ups. Compared to the other species I keep they are by far the most aggressive towards each other and least tolerant of human interaction. This is a sentiment I have heard from other quad keepers as well.

Also how is your hybrid chameleon/ salamander enclosure doing?

Thanks for asking about Scrapy the Mabled Salamander lol. He just came out of hibernation last week so I haven't seen him in like 3 months before that lol, though I knew where he was. He is good. The Jackson there I just sold to make room for growing Panthers I have though. I use him as a Garbage man for the Crickets that hide too well from the chams on the bottom of this enclosure and he's done it well. Marbled salamanders are mole salamanders so you don't have to worry about the chams and salamanders ever seeing each other, and if they do chams seem to understand they are not food(Most all frogs, newts and salamanders are slightly poisonous as various degrees of severity). I have introduced them to see if they would mind seeing each other and I have never gotten much of a reaction at all. So I maintain that this enclosure is my one substrate study where I try to maintain that the plants soak up all the excess water, and the worms each the cham feces, and the salamander eats the worms and crickets, and the crickets eat the plants and some food I put in there for them and the cham eats the crickets.
I may just make a video about this soon, because no one does this either that I have seen, but I have seen 0 illness in my chams as a result. So that has been kinda fun to observe.

unnamed.jpg

To answer the first comment though I would add that the idea behind the enclosure would be that I would indeed have movable walls (Layers of black&green plastic mesh fencing that would also have numerous plants and vines growing in them to make them more substantial barriers, though I have already constructed an additional 2x2x6 foot enclosure that I considered using as a separation enclosure to keep either the male out to de-stress the 2 females or put a glavid female in there as she prepares to lay eggs so I have a back up kind of in place, what are your thoughts on that? I basically want a well thought out breeding op that is ready to go before getting the chams so we all have like 2 to 3 weeks to critique my madness lol.

Lastly the videos on the enclosure project is coming soon, it's not done because I only work on it on the weekends. (Might upload part 1 tonight actually!)

I don't understand people's need to expose their herps to unnecessary risks by cohabitation.

Well I personally don't think Chameleons like living in captivity and they enjoy a more natural environment much more, it saddens me when I see small crammed enclosure that can only fit a single umbrella plant or something. I literally oppose that on an almost moral level which is why taking my chams outside for short amounts of time and giving them the most natural type of enclosure set up possible is my goal. (I have 3 different vines growing in there atm)

Well I personally don't think Chameleons like living in captivity and they enjoy a more natural environment much more, it saddens me when I see small crammed enclosure that can only fit a single umbrella plant or something. I literally oppose that on an almost moral level which is why taking my chams outside for short amounts of time and giving them the most natural type of enclosure set up possible is my goal. (I have 3 different vines growing in there atm)

Cool. I don't stuff my animals into as small a space as possible either. I have a single Veiled in 36"x24"x62" roughly. So come off your high horse a bit, and remember that you've posted pictures of a cham in one of those morally unacceptable enclosures, while also stuffing a salamander in a bin at the bottom. When I had my Tiger Salamander I kept him in a 75g with acces to running water, and about 16"-20" of soil depending on the area.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleons-and-salamanders.134028/

Cool. I don't stuff my animals into as small a space as possible either. I have a single Veiled in 36"x24"x62" roughly. So come off your high horse a bit, and remember that you've posted pictures of a cham in one of those morally unacceptable enclosures, while also stuffing a salamander in a bin at the bottom. When I had my Tiger Salamander I kept him in a 75g with acces to running water, and about 16"-20" of soil depending on the area.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleons-and-salamanders.134028/

Not to sound like I'm on a high horse lol, but that is a 2x2x4ft enclosure. So accept for keeping my lil baby chams in 12"x12"x18" glass enclosures I'm not sure what you mean. I want this to be a nice discussion, didn't mean to offend. As for the salamander, hes got two options the front bin (16"x24") has about 3 to 8 inchs of soil while the back planter bin in the back (6"x24") has about 10 inches of soil, so for a mole salamnder hes got room to burrow and explore. I read that mabled salamanders don' move a ton unless its breeding time so idk, I think hes betting on ok, though I have a (15 gal glass aquarium I could use for him. Maybe I'll give him a pool vacation spot. How long was your Tiger? My Scrapy is only like 5 inches or so.

Back
Top Bottom