Setting up my new Terrarium-Need Help

Chelsitaylor

cham2.jpg

cham1.jpg

cham3.jpg

cham4.jpg

I am setting up my new terrarium for my male panther blue bar ambilobe chameleon (3-5 months old) that is coming in tomorrow. This is it now (I know I need many more vines/plants).

I have a question about the light fixture. Does it just sit on top of the metal screen cage? Or does it need to be suspended above it? And if so, how?

Also, I need some tips and advice on how to maintain the temperature.

And as far as the drip system, how does it work?

How often do you mist? And how much?

I have a question about the light fixture. Does it just sit on top of the metal screen cage? Or does it need to be suspended above it? And if so, how?

Do you mean the basking bulb or the UV? The UV fixture can sit directly on a metal screen as it won't overheat. The basking bulb can either sit directly on metal screen, or be suspended above it slightly. Which you decide to do may depend on the resulting temperature right at the cham's basking perch. Check this temp with an accurate thermometer, ideally a non-contact infrared temp gun. If the basking temp is too high for your particular species you can raise the basking bulb up off the screen. The farther away from the cage it is the lower the temp will be.

First, what's the temp in the room? What type of basking light do you have (wattage, etc)? Chams don't need a constant stable temp everywhere in the cage. They need a range of temps so they can self regulate. They also need a drop in temp at night...down to low 60s is fine.

What do you mean? Did it come with any information or instructions? Basically you fill it with water, arrange the tube so it drips water on leaves where your cham can reach to lick the water off, adjust the rate of dripping with the valve (you want it to drip fast enough to attract your cham's attention but not so fast that the reservoir empties out too soon. Trial and error), and you also need some sort of container to collect the overflow below.

How often and how much you mist is going to depend partly on how dry or humid the room and your cage gets. So, you need some way to measure humidity accurately. Most people start off by misting thoroughly twice a day, but you may need to adjust this to work in your particular situation. Again, trial and error. Best to do this before your cham arrives!

- Yes absolutely you can do that. That is what is commonly done. Just make sure that you have the right type of UVB bulb (5 to 10) and a right basking bulb (60 watts)

- Have at least 2 thermometers one attached close to the basking spot of the cage and one outside where you can directly see around at the middle of the cage. Keep track of the appropriate temperature require by your chameleon basing on the care sheet. I usually just glance at it every now and then. It is usually recommended to have a good swing of temperature. Warm in the morning and a bit cold at night. It signals the cham its bedtime.

Timed switches are a great way to make sure that the objects that control the cage temperature (lights) are controlled. They are easily purchased from home depo or lowes also found at any reputable reptile shop (lllreptile.com they have everything you need and MORE! Seriously!)

- Just trial and error make sure that the drips falls on the leaves so it will give some time for your cham to drink the water. Also let it run for about a few secs and see where the water leads to. If the water trickles down to the base of the cage and missing a plant pot, you might wanna reposition the drips system. You can also put a small bonsai http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ8L5MY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 at the bottom to absorb the excess water or use a sponge or a small rag or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DZK0Q4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that usually works pretty well for me in terms of absorbing excess water droplets. Which ever works.

- At least twice a day but use your hygrometer to give you a basis. I recommend not letting it hit below 45 but it depends usually on the species. The care sheet comes handy. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

I myself mist at least 2x a day when I wake up and when I come home at night. Make sure to let it dry out before misting again.

The basking bulb does not necessarily have to be a 60 watt. The wattage will depend upon the ambient temperature in the house. If the house is kept cold in the winter, it may require more than a 60 watt to achieve the correct basking temp. Or it could go the other way, and in the summer you may use less wattage if the ambient temp of the house if very hot. Also, I commented on your cage in another thread, and you should move that vine away from the light. Run it horizontal instead of vertical like that. If your chameleon climbs to the top of that vine, it may get burned.

Back
Top Bottom