Shedding

SilverWolf

Yesterday, Tricky (10 months old jackson chameleon) started scratching his head with his right hind leg, and when I went to look at him, I noticed dead skin, or flakes over his eye, peeling or falling off. Looked normal for shedding, and should be about the right time for shedding as he last did in September. I know most chameleons tend to shed a little here one day, a lot hear this day, but I don't think he did AT ALL today. Most I can do is try to raise humidity.

Anyway, does this seem okay, any similar situations that you may have to share?

Jackson's don't shed as often as panthers and veileds - and it's usually a slower process with mine at least - they also don't shed as much as they get older - I did notice that they all had a growth spurt where they shed a lot (for which ever species) the panther was at about 4 or 5 months and he was ever week or two for a little while - the flapneck was at closer to 6 and the jackson was closer to 7 or 8 months - she only did one or two quick sheds and then slowed down to where she'll shed more in patches now.

Yah my Jackson's only sheds in patches. If she seams to be having a hard time getting some off I will hand spray her gently with warm water. Now with the really tricky spots like on the horns of the male sometimes it may be necessary to use a Q-tip and lightly try to finesse it off. Good luck :)

IMHO i disagree , let him shed, let him be, do not "finesse" any skin off for him, as per our setup's and adhearance to the best possible husbandry we can provide, let nature take its course. he will be fine and the shedding will be completed in due time i promise.

sometimes, we do have to help get shed skin off.

If it cuts off circulation got toes and tails, it can be an issue.

however, that's a fairly easily spotted thing.

otherwise, yes it is best to leave them alone and they will shed the skin when they are ready to.

sometimes, we do have to help get shed skin off.

If it cuts off circulation got toes and tails, it can be an issue.

however, that's a fairly easily spotted thing.

otherwise, yes it is best to leave them alone and they will shed the skin when they are ready to.

Well I had the idea of the q-tip with his last shed as it took a while and some skin stayed stuck on his face and around his horns. That never really went off. Thankfully most did but there's still like one or two little patches there, one right under his left horn and another right above his right horn. He's pretty mellow and I could probably get it off if I was gentle and patient enough but I think it'd be best to just leave it be. He sometimes will scratch his head against a branch anyway. Especially when he's shedding. But it's been a few days, and I still don't notice anymore shedding.

Well I had the idea of the q-tip with his last shed as it took a while and some skin stayed stuck on his face and around his horns. That never really went off. Thankfully most did but there's still like one or two little patches there, one right under his left horn and another right above his right horn. He's pretty mellow and I could probably get it off if I was gentle and patient enough but I think it'd be best to just leave it be. He sometimes will scratch his head against a branch anyway. Especially when he's shedding. But it's been a few days, and I still don't notice anymore shedding.

What is the temp and humidity like in your cage?

ANd what do you supplement with?

these factors can influence shedding.

FOr the most part, if the skin isn't cutting off circulation to important areas, then just let it be.

What is the temp and humidity like in your cage?

ANd what do you supplement with?

these factors can influence shedding.

FOr the most part, if the skin isn't cutting off circulation to important areas, then just let it be.

I only supplement with calcium, twice a week. I stopped with multivitamins after several discussions on here.

THe temperatures is around 80- 85F (just changed bulb this morning because I thought it was too cold) at the basking spot. The temperature in my room, which is where his enclosure is, should be about room temperature. Although with winter the temperatures have been dropping to high 60s in my room in the day unfortunately. He's basking right now. I do feel it's important to note though, he has been rather comfortable with temperature the past few days, and hasn't basked except for mornings mostly. He's basking now, but it is morning.

The humidity is as best as I can do with spraying the enclosure often all day. I try to keep the humidity at 50% minimum but whenever it gets that low I usually spray and bring it up to 70 - 80%.

I only supplement with calcium, twice a week. I stopped with multivitamins after several discussions on here.

THe temperatures is around 80- 85F (just changed bulb this morning because I thought it was too cold) at the basking spot. The temperature in my room, which is where his enclosure is, should be about room temperature. Although with winter the temperatures have been dropping to high 60s in my room in the day unfortunately. He's basking right now. I do feel it's important to note though, he has been rather comfortable with temperature the past few days, and hasn't basked except for mornings mostly. He's basking now, but it is morning.

The humidity is as best as I can do with spraying the enclosure often all day. I try to keep the humidity at 50% minimum but whenever it gets that low I usually spray and bring it up to 70 - 80%.

then im sure everything is fine.

hell get rid of the skin when he feels like it.

IMHO i disagree , let him shed, let him be, do not "finesse" any skin off for him, as per our setup's and adhearance to the best possible husbandry we can provide, let nature take its course. he will be fine and the shedding will be completed in due time i promise.

I totally agree. However there are rare times when shed just won't come off. and on my Jackson's it's usually the tail, feet, or the horns. I didn't mean to say you should go in and "torture" you cham every time it sheds, but only if it is absolutely necessary. Which is what I understood was the issue with this cham hence the confusion. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

Back
Top Bottom