Should I use an Exo-Terra High glass??

Ilikepie9999

I need to get a much larger terrarium for my now adult Female Veiled.
She is currently in the 18X18X24 by Exo-Terra and is now too big for it.
I love the glass terrarium and I want to buy the 36X18X36 by Exo-Terra but is that large enough.
Also I have been told to stay away from a substrate but the only way to keep the humidity high enough is the glass terrarium with a coconut substrate. Any Suggestions????

You should try to stay away from glass tanks and use screen cages because it will be beneficail for your chameleon. That would be the right cage size for a female chameleon. You shouldnt use a substrate because if they injest it can be bad for them.

First let me welcome you to the forums.

Most people manage to keep their humidity up in screen using frequent or automatic misting and a good number of live plants. The water stays on the leaves ( I am a fan of the Sheffeleras for this) and the humidity stays reasonable. The enclosure can and should dry out between mistings, particularly for a Veiled, being from Yemen they don't require the same really high humidity that some other types do. A room, or cool mist humidifier near the enclosure can also help maintain humidity if there is a problem. I know winter in the cold climates can be harder, thats when a humidifier can help.

What are your humidity readings currently running?

The screen enclosure allows for good air circulation but from what I read glass is not totally a no no. Some people in really dry climates do have success with them. You do need to let the enclosures dry out some between mistings. You may have more trouble getting the drying out period in glass, if your geographical zone is not really arid. This could result in a higher risk of upper respiratory infections for your pet.

Substrate is a great breeding ground for bacteria if it stays too wet as well, and its harder to keep clean. Feeders will hide in it as well. A bare bottom is easy to wipe up and there is no risk that your cham is going to accidentally ingest the substrate.

Do your research, look at your reasons for wanting glass before you make your decision. Decide based on what is right for your chameleon, not necessarily what you like or think looks best. It may be that glass is the best for your chameleon, but check with others in your region how they keep humidity up if they are using screen.

We have a responsibility, when we take these lovely creatures into our care to provide the absolute best for them.

When I didn't use the substrate my humidity would get down to 10% and I couldn't do anything about it. I could spray for 2 solid minutes and I couldn't get it above 30% even in a that small glass terrarium. Now that I have the coconut in there it gets up to 70% easy and is usually around 40 when I get home.
How can I not use a substrate and keep up the humidity now that i need a bigger terrarium?

What are you using for plants and how often are you misting?

The humidity does not have to stay high, it can fluctuate between mistings.

Live plants are the absolute best for keeping your humidity up.

A female veiled would do just fine in that cage. You will have to cup feed as crickets dig in the palm bark.

My issue is cost. That's an expensive solution to the humidity problem. A live plant can serve that same purpose.

I need to get a much larger terrarium for my now adult Female Veiled.
She is currently in the 18X18X24 by Exo-Terra and is now too big for it.
I love the glass terrarium and I want to buy the 36X18X36 by Exo-Terra but is that large enough.
Also I have been told to stay away from a substrate but the only way to keep the humidity high enough is the glass terrarium with a coconut substrate. Any Suggestions????

Last edited:
I mist once in the morning, when I get home and about an hour before the lights turn off
I am not currently using live plants but I plan to put a pothos plant in the new terrarium
I would use a screen terrarium if they made one with a glass base and a screen top. I need a good sealing bottom so that I Don't leak water and feces all over my dresser (only place I'm allowed to have my terrarium)
Is there such a thing???

DIY makes a drainage pan for their enclosures, it would keep your moisture in. For the cost of the Exo Terra you could buy a DIY enclosure and pan and probably a mist king or aquazamp for auto watering. A cheap shop vac can help you clean up excess water in the pan.

If you are not planning to really plant up your enclosure, then yes, you are going to have trouble with humidity. One pothos in a 36" enclosure is not enough, not just for humidity but for the cham to hide and sleep and get out of the heat and light.

Bottom line is you need to do what is going to work for you. If glass is the way you need to go then so be it, I would strongly recommend against the substrate and spend your money on more plants instead, and try to mist more often. I got Sheffeleras that are about 30" tall and bushy as all get out for $20 each at Fred Meyers, a department store here in the PNW.

I know its tough when you are not the one making the rules and you have to heed the rules of the house, that does make it a bit harder, maybe if you do some research and show your parents what the chams needs are and how you can best meet them. I know if my kids have done their research on a subject I was much more inclined to let them have what they're asking for.

Last edited:
One Pothos in a 36 inch 18 by 18 is just fine. Especially if you are like me and use a pothos pole. They get a little bigger than the hanging vine pothos BUT I have some very nice hanging vine pothos that I have on stands in the cage that provide plenty of shade. I do wrap fake vines around the tops of the cages as well tho. They help with holding water from my Aquazamp and act as drippers when the zamp goes off.

That looks perfect!
What variety of plants do you suggest to fill the X-Large DIY cage?
Do you experience an Excess amount of water getting through the screen
One reason I like the glass is that I know nothing but the inside of the terrarium is going to get soaked

I like sheffelera. When you repot any of your plants make sure they have really good drainage. Add river rocks to the bottom. Drill extra holes in the pot. Tomorrow I'll post a pic of my enclosures. My boys are sleeping. I elevate my plants and that makes cleaning the bottom easier. Pothos is good and loves water. I have never had good luck growing ficus but lots of people like

I have an Aquazamp Raindome system so it rains in my enclosure in a pretty contained area. I have one of those water resistant fabric shower curatins around. d the back and sides to help with humidity and keep stray water in the enclosure. Air can still circulate around and through it

The auto misting/ drippi g system is great you can set it to go with a timer in short burst every hour or so so you have time for some water to evaporate. This will also raise your humidity. You don't want to have too much standing water in the bottom. I have drainage so longer sessions only 4 times a day. I put about a gallon of water a day into 2 enclosures.

Here are some pics of the giant pothos. I dont have problems with water because I screwed this plastic on that I got from lowes. I screwed it directly one the cage using the same screws and screw hole that were in the cage originally. So it was a flush fit. The Giant pothos are great for 48 cage as my 14 in long (nose to tail) nosy faly fits it perfectly and it supports him well. Plenty of coverage. I also have a hanging pothos with a vine plat at the bottom for my be in a 48 cage as seen in the pics. I do use 48 in t8 tubes with dual lights the other light being from home depot is a 6500+ kelvin light that encourages plant growth. And I always have to trim my pothos back!

Attachments

• giant pothos getting ready for cage.jpg
    giant pothos getting ready for cage.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 378
  • Giant Pothos pole fills up my 48 cage.jpg
    Giant Pothos pole fills up my 48 cage.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 317
  • hanging pothos with vine plant at bottom.jpg
    hanging pothos with vine plant at bottom.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 247
  • pothos pole with fake vies at the top 18 18.jpg
    pothos pole with fake vies at the top 18 18.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 365
Thank you so much for all the help
I'm definitely going to go with the DIY cage and a raindome system.
I'll probably do what balizar did with the plastic sheets except ill use plexiglass instead

Just one note on the plexiglass. Sometimes light can shine against it just right and your cham can see himself and I found it quite expensive. So I used Panolam 1/8-in x 4-ft x 8-ft White Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel. It was about 30 dollars and covered 4 of my cages at 1/3 the cost. It east to cut without cracking unlike plexiglass. Plus it is bright white so he doesnt look so closed in. My cages are side by side so I use it for shielding from each other was well as for the backs where my rain domes are.

Here are some pics of the giant pothos. I dont have problems with water because I screwed this plastic on that I got from lowes. I screwed it directly one the cage using the same screws and screw hole that were in the cage originally.

Did you have to use longer screws or were the ones that came with the enclosure long enough? That sounds like a great idea, I need to look at my Lowes for those.

I used the original screws. I was surprised it worked but it is flush. I had to cut the Panolam with a jig saw, but I traced it out and screwed it right on. I tried to cut with really strong shears first but no way. I used the jig saw and balanced it out and made a nice smooth cut straight cut.

Here are the pics of my enclosures. The pothos are hanging in back corners. They really like to sleep in them. The enclosure on the left is not as bushy. Marshawn is very personable and spends a great deal of time watching what we do and coming out to the front of the enclosure, so I have trimmed his a bit more. Golden Tate is much more skittish and doesn't even like it when I am near so I leave his really bushy so he has more hiding places.

I am going to set up a free range next week after my move. I'm hoping that with that Golden Tate gets a bit more comfortable around me.

Please excuse any mess you see. I am moving Thursday and my apartment is in chaos.

2014-01-27 05.06.34.jpg

2014-01-27 05.08.40.jpg

2014-01-27 05.08.47.jpg

2014-01-27 05.09.37.jpg

I wish I had the room for it but my wife thinks open range would be to messy! I do need to work on my drainage, I am tired of being the bucket brigade! I want to pvc all of it into one main bucket. My chams love to sleep in the pothos I think its a lil cooler in there and gives them a great bent branch to hang on to. For me they are easier to keep alive.

I'll probably do what balizar did with the plastic sheets except ill use plexiglass instead

If you are set on using plexiglass, and are worried about your cham seeing himself. You can take a piece of sand paper and scuff the side you're going to use on the inside:D

I have an fairly unpopular opinion I'd like to share. :cool:

Glass terrarium vs. mesh....it's been debated back and forth a lot from what I read here. Both sides make valid points.

But lets face it, (this is my unpopular point) as much as we love our pets and want to do what's right by them, I also believe in aesthetics. As nice as those mesh cages can be, they do not IMO compare to a proper glass terrarium for beauty and appeal.

If I was breeding them and had a specific building or room for them then, yes I would consider this. But many of us have just one, and as in my case, the cage is between the kitchen and living room. I don't want some unsightly mesh cage with plastic wrapped around it that looks like it belongs in the garage. The glass terrarium on a nice stand is a nice center piece for discussion and adds a bit of a "forest flavor" to the otherwise contemporary space.

I've seen many pictures of rooms full of terrariums, all glass doing just fine by their reptile(s). :p

I will also say this, if I couldn't keep him safe with proper humidity and temp in a glass terrarium, then YES I would go mesh. As is though, I would only go mesh for the summer time and only when he will be outside to get some natural sun and fresh air.

My terrarium has no substrate. I use fake plants and real wood branches for Jackson to climb on and it's EASY to maintain temps and humidity. Sometime TOO easy. :rolleyes:

Here's my set up (its outdated, but you get the idea) humidifying my terrarium.
full

Maintaining a 95 degree temp and getting 70% humidity is EASY. I think the debate over mesh and glass is like Ford vs. Chevy. It's what works for you.

I'm not knocking anyone's mesh cage or hand made cage, I've read with great interest many threads about this. Some are very nice and well made. But in the end, it's not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom