sick veiled?

TShep

My male veiled chameleon has been sluggish and a constant very pale light green..his environment hasn't changed aside from his companion laying eggs about two days ago.He hasn't been eating and will literally just lay stiff in the feeding container as dubias walk all over him.He lost one eye over 2 mnths ago after it pretty much exploded..his other eye recently(about 2 weeks ago) became sort of "saggy"..but none of this has seemed to cause any significant issues in the past.My son put him in the dubia container not long ago(thinking it would help him get food easier since he cant see all to well) and I'm so scared he may have eaten some pine bedding while catching a roach could this be the problem? or any other ideas I don't want to lose my poor Rango and our local vet doesn't know much about them(even tho he did help with his eye)

we aren't sure why he lost his eye..the vet actually wasn't even sure..it swelled then pretty much exploded a bloody mess and has healed to a small white scar like area..we put him in a separate container to eat since its much harder for him to catch anything with one eye and then put him back home when hes had his fill ..they lived together their whole lives minus one month while we were caring for his eye and never had issues..I removed the female from the enclosure today after noticing how super sluggish he was this morning..thinking that moving him could cause more stress to his already ailing health

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species-veiled sex-male, and age of your chameleon-approx 1yr How long has it been in your care10 mnths
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?- at least 2x a week
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? crickets or dubia roaches What amount? 6-10 What is the schedule?every other day How are you gut-loading your feeders?green vegs.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?exo-terra calcium every feeding
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?chameleon cantena How often and how long to you mist?1-2 daily small amounts fro humidity Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.brown& white scrambled egg like nuggets Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?no
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.lost an eye about 2 mtnhs ago ..female companion recently laid eggs

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage- Combo glas/screen top What are the dimensions?2ft tall 1ft wide
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?red 50w infared basking and 25w uvb 200 What is your daily lighting schedule?basking when necessary and uvb daily about 10-12 hrs
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?72-78F Lowest overnight temp? 74F How do you measure these temps-digital therm.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?70-80% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? misting What do you use to measure humidity?same digital therm.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants?none If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? high traffic At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 4ft
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? USA state of Tennessee

Current Problem - very pale and sluggish and not eating

does your calcium have d3 in it? have you been using a multivitamin? the schedule for a veiled should be
calcium with out d3 every feeding
calcium with d3 2 times a month
multivitamin 2 times a month
if your multivitamin has d3 you do not need calcium with d3 as too much d3 can be very bad for a cham

I've always just stuck with the exoterra calcium on most feedings and the multivitamin when changing food..which we were switching back and forth from crickets to dubias until I decided to stop crickets being a beginner owner e didn't know much and never had issues before

Attachments

• 1470697360220-1057119221.jpg
    1470697360220-1057119221.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 1470697484206-1848056300.jpg
    1470697484206-1848056300.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 132
how old is he? Is there anyway you could find out if the calcium has d3 or not? it should say it on the container

He is about 1yr old and the calcium doesn't say that it contains d3.. do the dubias and crickets not contain d3?..I was just told about the bulb needed for proper digestion and the powder vitamins ..I feel horrible because I never bothered to research anymore as it seemed everything was going so well :( he does seem a little more lively when being picked up than he has been but he just lets his little tail flop

They do need d3. The feeders do not have it in them and while having a good uvb bulb is important, it is still not enough. For a veiled it is recommended that you give them calcium with D3 twice a month. If he gets outside a lot then it is not required, about an hour a day would be good.

thank you so much..we recently moved to TN so I will have to take advantage of all this sun and hope it helps on top of ordering different vitamins....He is my baby and I feel like the worst pet owner right now

thank you very much for all your help..we will have to go sun bathing till new vits. arrive..I really appreciate your time

Back
Top Bottom