Silkworms Finally

Im in the process now. I have 100 medium silks and trying not feeding off any. But so far its been ALOT of cleaning up after them. And the silk makes it a little difficult to clean and replace the old food.

this may soound like a really stupid question but what are silkworms and what do they look like

That is not a stupid question. Lots of people in remote locations like you and I would not know what a silk worn looks like. To see one take a look at a forum sponsor, Mulberry Farms or just google silk worms.

Keeping silkies is costing me a small fortune!!
Need to figure out how to breed these (crickets too for that matter).

I'm going to make my chams find jobs!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Im in the process now. I have 100 medium silks and trying not feeding off any. But so far its been ALOT of cleaning up after them. And the silk makes it a little difficult to clean and replace the old food.

Really what are you feeding them on process food or the leaves themselves

we feed are on the leaf and hang the leafs and just remove the stems bits when eaten or cut the leaves to large bits but removing the stems as you cyt and they eat the whole lot with out leaving a trace.

its there poops that are a pain

Keeping silkies is costing me a small fortune!!
Need to figure out how to breed these (crickets too for that matter).

I'm going to make my chams find jobs!! :eek: :rolleyes:

No kidding, I have told my Cham countless times that he needs to start contributing. Although he has no appreciation for all of my hard work. He is a real jerk.

Right now im just feeding them the chow. I havent been able to find a mulberry tree where I live yet so I had my mom package a big box with the leaves and ship them. Going to keep them refrigerated and use those until I can find a better source. The trouble ive been having it separating them from their old chow. Only putting enough for a day or two at a time. So I can clean the bin.

No kidding, I have told my Cham countless times that he needs to start contributing. Although he has no appreciation for all of my hard work. He is a real jerk.

Yep, no appreciation at all, you could drop dead and all he would say is; 'Who's gunna gimme my bugs now??!!"

yeah the leaf will help alot keeping them in the fridge they will last for along time well not the way silkys eat haha

Since someone brought it up, have we defined the cheapest method to maintain silk and horn worms?

For all practical purposes, we'll assume that the method does not have mulberry leaves as an option.

Where is the cut-off between producing your own, and buying ready to feed animals?

Since someone brought it up, have we defined the cheapest method to maintain silk and horn worms?

For all practical purposes, we'll assume that the method does not have mulberry leaves as an option.

Where is the cut-off between producing your own, and buying ready to feed animals?

I think there is savings in breeding and buying within the forum. One major expense is shipping. When I ship out to people I only charge what it actually cost, which is usually around $5 or so depending on what is being shipped. Breeding is a bit of money and a ton of work, but in the end you can save if you are able to figure out where to cut costs. Also when I buy feeders I try to buy them from forum members.

I just had a batch of eggs start hatching yesterday, so this evening I took a walk down the street and picked some of the softest, greenest leaves from a mulberry tree for them to make them happy. I'm really spoiled and have acces to multiple trees around the neighborhood.:D
I didn't fare to well with the chow, but will use it when I have to. When using fresh mulberry, the leave veins and remnants sorta "sift" the frass away and I didn't get those soggy die offs like I did with the chow.
Good luck with yours and to your next round.

Back
Top Bottom