simply eating less or problem?

flashjord101

My 9 mth Ambilobe male is eating less. He was a bit dehydrated with orange urate but I corrected it with an early morning misting cycle (before the lights come on) and added a dripper, which he seems to take advantage of here and there. Now he has white urate. Nonetheless, I'm lucky to see him eat 2 large crickets a day. He also skips days without eating. I've also seen him miss his target a few times and lose interest, which is frustrating because I want to see him eat more. I feed him crickets gutloaded with tiki tiki cricket crack, water crystals and I'll also drop in greens and fruit for crickets here and there. I ordered some silk worms and horned worms to add to the diet.
I dust the crickets as per Kammerflage alternating days Herptivite w/beta carotine (twice a week), Phosphorus-free Calcium with vit D (3 times a week), phosphorus free calcium NO vit D (twice a week)

he's in a DIY screen cage 48X24X24 with a big umbrella plant and plenty of fake vines. basking area at 80 degrees. He was gaping any hotter, but is fine now. Humidity seems good. Its been dry here so I mist-king every 2 hours for 6 minutes per.

He seems healthy and happy besides this. Moves around his cage confidently and strong. I handle him here and there as he's always been a willing participant.

thanks for your comments.

also find some recent pics taken last night and today photo4.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo.JPG

J

He might also be borded eating the same feeders. If anything switch it up or just wait a few days and then give him the insects. usually that works. The same thing happened to me, but Thor was just bored, so now he has a variety of insects to eat :)

Are his cage temps a little lower now that it's winter? Cooler temps tend to slow their activity down, and subsequenly feeding. Up-ing the basking area temp., might boost appetite. Also insect variety helps simulate feeding. As chameleons mature they tend to eat less. I have a few big chameleons housed outdoors that have'nt eaten in over a month.

Last edited:
Two large a day is okay - kinda depends on how much he is moving around, temperature etc. Is he still slowly gaining weight? He looks to be in good condition in the photo.

I agree you definately want to be providing a variety of feeders.

If you are only offering crickets, and if your gutload and supplement do not contain a little pre-formed vitamin A, it is possible that a muscle control / tongue issue could arise. B vitamin deficiency, magnesium deficiency etc are also possible.
Dehydration can also effect tongue control.

This blog entry may be of interest to you https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/232-tongue-troubles.html

its def cooler. but raising basking temp makes him gape. I also watched him shoot and miss about 3 times today. Seems like he's been missing more and more.

Might adding silk worms and an occasional horned worm help this problem? He's had dehydration problems in the past. I know horned worms can help hydrate. How might you suggest boosting vitamin B?

Might adding silk worms and an occasional horned worm help this problem? He's had dehydration problems in the past. I know horned worms can help hydrate. How might you suggest boosting vitamin B?

Certainly silkworms (and occassional hornworms) couldnt hurt :)

dandelion leaves are a good source of vitamins, including B, and both crickets and silkworms will eat dandelion leaves. Many pastas are fortified with Vitamin B (crickets will eat cooked pasta). Nuts, seeds, green leafy vegetables, fish, legumes, whole grains....lots of sources of B Vitamins.

whether this is helpful for the missing the target issue would depend on whether a B vitamin deficiency was at issue.

You may find the vitamin info / links within this blog entry useful: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html

Back
Top Bottom