Sleeping too much!

Jenna96

I have a 6 month old female veiled chameleon, and she eats just fine, has enough water, and heat that I do believe.
She sleeps, a lot! And she hisses at me, and her green looks.. more dead. Less life to it. And that is just as of this morning. I would not mind filling out the forum, if someone could send the questions to me, so I can. I am new to this.

Cham Info

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled, female, 6 months, about 4 days

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Every day for a few minutes

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Meal worms and crickets, and around 3-5 meal worms, and 3-5 crickets a day, I gut load them with potatoes, cereal, carrots, and other veggies

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Zoo Meds Reptilevite, and just when I give the crickets new food

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I mist her 3 times a day with a bottle of water , and swish a cup of around and she dunks in and drinks it

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Her fecal waste the last time I saw was dark brown, and she has no parasites that I know of

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Nothing vital that I know of

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Just screen, and 16 sideways and 18 up and down 16x18

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I don’t know the brands, but I am getting new ones in a day, and it’s from 9am-9pm.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
80-85 degrees, she has lower and higher branches away from the heat lamps, probably 75 degrees overnight, or 70. I measure them by the weather outside, and a small thermometer

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I block heat in my room, no ventilation aside from an open door

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Just fake plants, but we intend to get a ficus

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
By the door, its near an open door that provides cold air, which I probably the biggest problem

Location - Where are you geographically located?
US, Oregon

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Her sleeping too much, hissing, and changing color... and possible dehydration

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled, female, 6 months, about 4 days

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Every day for a few minutes

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Meal worms and crickets, and around 3-5 meal worms, and 3-5 crickets a day, I gut load them with potatoes, cereal, carrots, and other veggies
Mealworms are not very nutritous, they have a hard exo skeleton that can make it hard to digest.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Zoo Meds Reptilevite, and just when I give the crickets new food
you should be giving a calcium without d3 dusted on every feeding, a calcium with d3 twice a month, and the multivitamin twice amonth.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I mist her 3 times a day with a bottle of water , and swish a cup of around and she dunks in and drinks it
i would mist more often, and they dont normlaly drink standing water.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Her fecal waste the last time I saw was dark brown, and she has no parasites that I know of

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Nothing vital that I know of

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Just screen, and 16 sideways and 18 up and down 16x18

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I don’t know the brands, but I am getting new ones in a day, and it’s from 9am-9pm.
do yo uhave a UVB bulb?

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
80-85 degrees, she has lower and higher branches away from the heat lamps, probably 75 degrees overnight, or 70. I measure them by the weather outside, and a small thermometer
i think you should get a digitial thermeter and recheck these temps. also, her basking temp should be down around 83, as this can help her reduce or stop egg production.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I block heat in my room, no ventilation aside from an open door

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Just fake plants, but we intend to get a ficus

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
By the door, its near an open door that provides cold air, which I probably the biggest problem

Location - Where are you geographically located?
US, Oregon

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Her sleeping too much, hissing, and changing color... and possible dehydration

hissing is normal behavior, its a warning to you. shes dehydrated because you need to mist more.

the sleeping isnt a good sign, can you take pics of her and her cage please?

she may not be sleeping, there may be something wrong with your lighting, which is why we need to know the brands of them.

also, she is nearing sexual maturity, so you need to provide a laying bin for her. females can lay eggs even if they never see a male.

you need a bucket filled with sand or soil, that is at least 12 inches deep, that is damp enough to dig a tunnel but not so damp it collapses.

Hi!

You should be dusting with calcium that does not have D3 daily. You dust the feeders right before you put them in the cage.

Your chameleon drinks from a cup in your hand? I've never heard of such a thing. Just don't leave a cup of water in the cage with her. If she falls into the cup she could drown. I would recommend you establish a dripper so that there is water dripping onto leaves for several hours every day (or all day, even better!). You can buy a commercially made dripper or make one yourself out of a plastic container with a pin hole in the bottom. I would also up the amount of water you use in misting her for the time being. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and just when you think you can't keep going, hydrate some more! I think you want to use a full quart of water at every misting right now. Once she's doing better you should be able to cut back on that some.

Is your house 70 degrees at night? Or are you keeping a heat lamp on the cage?

How breezy is the doorway? Good ventilation is vital so unless it's really blowing or the air is really cold (under 60 degrees) I doubt the proximity to the door is a problem. If you are concerned about it you might want to move the cage anyway.

As you've only had the animal 4 days chances are the sleeping during the day is the result of something that happened before.

Back
Top Bottom