So I just got a phone call.....

RunCode3

I'm working late tonight, the girlfriend called me SCREAMING! She offered to go to my apartment and mist Tobias, and to make sure he is OK. She said there were crickets ALL over my apartment!

I have NO idea how this happened... can medium sized crickets escape from Tobiasas cage (24 X48)? I dont think they got out from their Tupperware... She said the crickets were brown (not dusted). The cage is new, and there are no large or even medium gaps! I have no idea how this might have happened, but I'm a little uneasy about crickets all over my house... I have been putting Tobia's crickets into a feeding dish attached to his cage. I haven't noticed the crickets being able to jump out of the feeding dish...

Would crickets from the outside smell the cricket food / other crickets and come in?

:confused:

Last edited:
haha i love how ferret called it a leak. instead of sleeping with the fishies your going to be sleeping with the crickies :) wrong i know but funny, what are you housing your bulk crickets in?? some might be climbing out through the top

that SUCKS you should really look hard for cracks ar any way they can get out

uhhhhhh. This sucks! She said the crickets are BIG! so the crack must be a good size, unless they have been out for a few days... Are the crickets watching me in my SLEEP! LOL. Maybe Ill host a SoCal event at my house, and everyone can let there chams go have-at-it for a few hours feasting!

You need a cat for a cricket hunter. ;) At some point it happens to us all! I had 1000 leak out of a hole in my cricket bin while I was gone one weekend. The cage looks pretty secure. What do you keep the crickets in?

haha i love how ferret called it a leak. instead of sleeping with the fishies your going to be sleeping with the crickies :) wrong i know but funny, what are you housing your bulk crickets in?? some might be climbing out through the top

not so bulk, 25 at a time in a plastic food storage container with a mesh top. Its a tight fit. I'm thinking there might be a space between the bottom of the cage and the table. The particular cage I have doesn't have an attached bottom... that's my best guess until I can find the problem.

I would think that is the bulk population as well. Maybe they chewed through the container?
Be thankful they aren't roaches.
Lol! Right!?

Are you sure it's metal on the top? I would inspect it carefully when you get home. They can chew through thin plastic when they're hungry enough.

Only 25 crickets escaped? Pshh that's nothing! ;)

hehe...we have all been there :)
We have all had the UPS guy deliver box of crickets and not noticed that one of the corners has been crushed, or accidentally left the lid of our cricket container off, or had a hole in the cage, or etc...

I remember leaving my side garage door ajar and when I can back that evening there was an opossum in my cricket bin thinking he was in an all you can eat diner!

What to do? Search for the hole in the cage to prevent it from happening again. And as for the crickets that are loose, they will eventually disperse and live out the rest of their short life in the corners of your house. Catch them when you can. If either you or your girlfriend are squeamish about crickets loose in the house then I can imagine the drama. Worse comes to worse you can buy a house gecko and let it go in your house. It will only come out at night and will happily hunt down all escapees. Although that means you need to continue to leave offerings for it so that probably doesn't help in the long run!

They will naturally hide in dark places so they will not bother you outright. The only contact you'll probably have is the males chirping at night. I hate the chirping so I arm myself with a flashlight and I go on safari until I have all the little chirpers back in my chameleons stomach where they belong.

Good luck!

PS. Fix this problem before you get into breeding roaches. Your typical girlfriend tends to be less understanding of those free range guests :)

Are you sure it's metal on the top? I would inspect it carefully when you get home. They can chew through thin plastic when they're hungry enough.

yeah\ thats\ nothing\ i\ probably\ have\ that\ many\ little\ thugs\ sneaking\ around\ in\ my\ roo6m\ each\ night.:D

Just had my GF on land line, mesh is metal. Still a lot of crickets in the plastic container, no holes. As for the cage, no visible regress points from the interior of the cage. and the floor seems to be secure.

I DID just install the bottom drawer-table you see in the photos. while I had Tobias and his trees out, I cleaned the cage and changed the cardboard I put over the plastic white floor. maybe the crickets got out then? I think I would have noticed them (did it saturday). Im young, so I'm not senile or blind. I would notice insects walking around my whiteish carpet.

hehe...we have all been there :)
We have all had the UPS guy deliver box of crickets and not noticed that one of the corners has been crushed, or accidentally left the lid of our cricket container off, or had a hole in the cage, or etc...

I remember leaving my side garage door ajar and when I can back that evening there was an opossum in my cricket bin thinking he was in an all you can eat diner!

What to do? Search for the hole in the cage to prevent it from happening again. And as for the crickets that are loose, they will eventually disperse and live out the rest of their short life in the corners of your house. Catch them when you can. If either you or your girlfriend are squeamish about crickets loose in the house then I can imagine the drama. Worse comes to worse you can buy a house gecko and let it go in your house. It will only come out at night and will happily hunt down all escapees. Although that means you need to continue to leave offerings for it so that probably doesn't help in the long run!

They will naturally hide in dark places so they will not bother you outright. The only contact you'll probably have is the males chirping at night. I hate the chirping so I arm myself with a flashlight and I go on safari until I have all the little chirpers back in my chameleons stomach where they belong.

Good luck!

PS. Fix this problem before you get into breeding roaches. Your typical girlfriend tends to be less understanding of those free range guests :)

Do you think Tobias would eat a roach? aren't their exoskeletons tough? o.0

uh-oh, GF wont be happy if those got out!

I Do like the House gecko idea!! I bet Tobias would have some Battle Royal with it at some point. Tobias tries to take me on.. and Im a cop! hahaha

Do you think Tobias would eat a roach? aren't their exoskeletons tough? o.0

uh-oh, GF wont be happy if those got out!

I Do like the House gecko idea!! I bet Tobias would have some Battle Royal with it at some point. Tobias tries to take me on.. and Im a cop! hahaha

Yes hell eat roaches! I recomend you order 500 dubia, just as soon as you find out how to properly secure them, lol:) Shouldnt be hard for a cop eh?;)
JK! Nothing against cops;)

Not the roaches you find in your home btw. My chams get a nice varied diet without ever seeing roaches. There will be NO roaches in my home!! :p

Yes hell eat roaches! I recomend you order 500 dubia, just as soon as you find out how to properly secure them, lol:) Shouldnt be hard for a cop eh?;)
JK! Nothing against cops;)

Well aparently my cages have as many holes as my reports :p

I should just adopt a cat and every night, when I open its cage....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Off topic-
At what age can they eat roaches?

Back
Top Bottom