So I want a Chameleon....

Chammycams

I am 14 and really want a Chameleon. I have read up lots on this website and talked to a few people who I know who have them.
The only problem is, my parents are telling me I have too many pets. I have a cat, two guinea pigs, two bettas, and a tank of fish.
My parents say if I get rid of some animal I can get one, but I'm pretty attached to the Guinea pigs and bettas and my cat, of course. What can I do?
Thanks for any info you have.

-T

I went through this. Everything is great with 6-10 pets (or lizards) till one gets alittle needy. Then everything falls apart. You spend alot of time with the sick animal, and you dont notice problems with the others and their problems gets out of hand.

I would not have a pre highschool person with no history of lizards and zero parental guidance get a chameleon for their first lizard.

Get a panther gecko or bearded dragon. Something hardy that can take some slack in husbandry.

I got my first chameleon at 16, after owning several potato sized lizards since i was 11. Things fell apart at age 19 with a cham/beardy/watery/2 frillies/ and a tank of anoles-geckos-tree frogs, while starting college. I think by the end of the year i had $1200 in vet bills from mouth/tail/toe rot and respiratory infections.

Hello and Welcome! This is a valid question that comes up a lot. I always wanted a chameleon as a young man but my parents would never let me. To this day I dont know why that is because we kept saltwater tanks, sugar gliders and tons of herps. To get to your point, Chameleons are a lot of work and you do have a lot of pets already. I think it is wonderful that you are researching and asking these questions in advance. My opinion is that you should keep the pets you have, and keep researching. Once some space opens up in your zoo, you will know what to do. Hope that helps, I understand your predicament

I understand your predicament as I'm also 14. Currently my mom and I both take care of two rats and I keep myself an archer fish, cresyed gecko, and a pygmy chameleon. I'm assuming you want a chameleon you can hold so you can't get a pygmy which are fragile but not as expensive. Unless you are willing to put forth maybe $1000 to get a cage, lighting, misting, the animal itself, etc then go ahead. You should also beware that you will need about $250-$500 saved for an emergency vet and then quite a it more money for feeders as juveniles eat a LOT, not to mention you need a variety of feeders. I think the best bet for you would be a crested gecko or gargoyle gecko. Mine is my second reptile and they are great for beginners, cute, fun, and tolerate a lot of handling. I forgot to mention this but do you have the space for a chameleon? You need about 4.5' x 4.5' x 6' of space for the case and a chae stand. I'm not saying your not up for the task but it's a huge commitment and you'll have to deal with during high school and maybe early college which can be rough when combined with homework and extracurriculars. What kind of chameleon are you looking into.

Back
Top Bottom