soil concern?

Andrew27

A while ago, I put in a live pothos plant in my chameleon's enclosure with organic soil with no fertilizers. Lately she hasnt been pooping a lot, so I am not sure if she somehow got blocked up by that. It is at the bottom of the enclosure, d she stays at the top, and I have never actually witnessed her eating any but I am just not sure. She hasnt pooped for a few days. I dont know if I should feed her or if that will make everything worse. Please help?

Hey!

Sorry to hear about your chameleon... Dirt and any substrate for that matter are known to cause impaction (Clogged digestive track due to un-digestable matter in body) THOUGH chameleons don't poop every day... or every other day... I had this exact same problem a while ago, my veiled cham passed the substrate in a couple of days, misting with warm water, bringing him/her outside, and keeping him well hydrated can help. GET YOUR CHAM TO A VET IF IT DOES NOT PASS SOON!:)

Dirt and any substrate for that matter are known to cause impaction (Clogged digestive track due to un-digestable matter in body)

Don't agree with all of that. Organic soil e.g. from forests with all of its microorganisms inside is no cause of impaction usually. I saw bark pieces (were those in her cage?), coconut fibers or sand as impaction masses inside the gut, but never natural soil. I and hundreds of other keepers in Europe (and I'm sure there are some in the US, too) use fine forest soil without any problem for years now. Maybe you want to take a look at this nice thread, especially the last pages (same discussion).

As long as your chameleon took up natural soil accidentally without stones, pieces of bark or whatever, I'm quite sure this will pass the gut. Might be another problem if your chameleon ate soil intentionally and not by accident.

Besides the "soil thing"... A healthy chameleon does not categorically need to poop every other day. Reptile digestion can take even some days. If you're totally worried and think your chameleon is feeling worse, you can take her to the vet for an x-ray and further diagnostics.

Can you fill out the help form? Should give us a better understanding about your animal and it's husbandry.

In general: if the Cham looks healthy and hydrated, has a strong grip, receives well gut loaded food and has proper lighting, you should not worry too much. Yet it might be that it still poops once in a while only. A lot of Chams eat dirt once in a while (probably for minerals and/or digestion). Impaction is mainly caused by larger indigestible pieces such as bark or the while nitrate balls in the non organic soil.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Female Jackon's chameleon, a tad over a year old.

Handling - Almost never, only to clean the cage.

Feeding - I used to feed gutloaded crickets, but she stopped eating those very recently. I did feed like 7 waxworms friday, I know that is way to much but I wasn't sure since she wasnt eating for a while. I am going to order dubia roaches. I gutload with turnip greens, cellery greens, apple, carrot, orange, and different fruits and veggies. I will also be buying King Kricket Feast from chamalotchameleons.com.

Supplements - I use plain calcium a few times a week, and a multivitamin with D3 once a month.

Watering - I spray her a lot throughout the day, like 4+ times.

Fecal Description - Well I havent seen some in about a few days or so, but it is brown ovals with her urates being white with yellow.

History - I got her at a pet shop in June that is only in my state.

Cage Info:

Cage Type -she is an an 18x18x36 screen cage.

Lighting - I use an exo terra coil 5.0 UVB bulb. I will be buying a 5.0 tube reptisun as soon as I have the money. I use an exo terra 50 watt heat bulb.

Temperature - About 80 on basking spot and 75 ambient. Night temps are in the 60s to low 70s.

Humidity - I use a pressurized sprayer and a cool mist humidifier, it says 70% humidity.

Plants - mostly fake, 1 pothos.

Placement - In my bedroom, very quiet.

Location - Where are you geographically located? central connecticut

Current Problem - Hasnt pooped in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom