South African dwarf chameleon

Tygerr

Avid Member
A friend sent me a photo of a cham they spotted in their garden. The pic was taken in Kenton, South Africa, near Port Elizabeth.
As far as I can tell, it looks like Bradypodion Ventrale- the Eastern Cape Dwarf Chameleon (also known as Southern Dwarf Chameleon). That is the most common cham in that area.

Can you spot him:
chameleon_kenton.jpg

These guys really blend into their surroundings well:
chameleon_kenton_close_up.jpg

They grow to about 14cm (total length).

Always a pleasure to see chameleons in their natural habitat. For it to be a rarely seen (for me here in Canada anyways) Bradypodion makes it extra cool.

I won't complain if you post more pics of the South African species. :D

Cheers,
t

Awww i wish i could walk out in my yard and see little Chams running around in the wild! So sweet.... My friend Andre's mom is always telling me how they had green little chams in there yard in South Africa. She also loved my silkworms cause she said she would hatch them out and let them crawl on her face.... lol

Do you have pictures of what she might be talking about when it comes to just green south african chams, she is from Johannesburg?

Last edited:
Glittergloomgirl, although there are a few species of Bradypodion found in the inland areas of South Africa, the most common species in the Johannesburg region, and by far the most likely candidate to fit your friend's 'green South African chams' would probably be Chameleo Dilepsis - the common flap-neck chameleon.

They used to be quite abundant on golf-courses and in gardens here when I was growing up, but due to the continued expansion of housing estates and shoppping malls, I haven't seen a wild one in a very long time.

That is very sad to hear :( I hope that they keep some large nature preserves so that the poor little guys dont completely vanish.... That would be terrible.

They also import that particular type (Chameleo Dilepsis) to the UK loads, quite common over here. That's what my baby is!

Just FYI, the South African Chamaeleo dilepis are actually from the subspecies Chamaeleo dilepis quilensis which is now regarded as its own species, Chamaeleo quilensis. It is a widespread species and even though populations in Johannesburg may have dropped, there is plenty of protected land that this species inhabits across its range.

Always love seeing Bradypodion sp. photos!

Chris

They also import that particular type (Chameleo Dilepsis) to the UK loads, quite common over here. That's what my baby is!
As Chris pointed out, the Dilepsis going to the UK aren't South African ones - more likely to come from places north of our borders. The export and trade restrictions on South African reptiles are very severe.

If you're interested in South African chameleons, particularly Bradypodions, I suggest you read "Chameleons of Southern Africa" by Krystal Tolley and Marius Burger. It has some really gorgeous photos of chams in the wild and it's only about $13 on Amazon.

If you're interested in South African chameleons, particularly Bradypodions, I suggest you read "Chameleons of Southern Africa" by Krystal Tolley and Marius Burger. It has some really gorgeous photos of chams in the wild and it's only about $13 on Amazon.

Ditto that! It's a great book. The Bradypodion is one genus that for various reasons (maybe because of the export restrictions?) I don't know much about. There was a few species in there that I had no idea existed. :cool: And some that have striking similarities to the bitaeniatus that I work with. There's some interesting evolution going on there.

Cheers,
t

A friend sent me a photo of a cham they spotted in their garden. The pic was taken in Kenton, South Africa, near Port Elizabeth.
As far as I can tell, it looks like Bradypodion Ventrale- the Eastern Cape Dwarf Chameleon (also known as Southern Dwarf Chameleon). That is the most common cham in that area.

Can you spot him:
chameleon_kenton.jpg

These guys really blend into their surroundings well:
chameleon_kenton_close_up.jpg

They grow to about 14cm (total length).

yes thats a Southern Dwarf!!!!!!!!!!!

South African Chameleons

Hey there guys
I live in Pretoria South Africa, and as Tygerr says there was a time where chameleons could be found in the gardens of the Gueteng homes, roaming freely.
Unfortunately those days have long passed..
But all is not lost in the areas where there is no urban development they can still be found in every second tree...

AND IN THE SUB TROPICAL REGION OF KWAZULU NATAL ( SOUTH AFRICA)
yOU CAN STILL FIND CHAMS IN THE GARDENS OF HOMES ROAMING FREELY,AND THE SIGHT IS ABSOLUTELY BREATH TAKING...

There are 14 Chameleons comonly found in south africa

Bradypodion caffer - Transkei Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion damaranum - Knysna Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion dracomontanum - Drakensberg Chameleon

Bradypodion gutturale - Robertson's Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion karroicum - Karoo Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion melanocephalum - Black-headed Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion nemorale - Zululand Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion pumilum - Cape Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion setaroi - Setaro's Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion taeniabronchum - Smith's Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion thamnobates - Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion transvaalense - Transvaal Dwarf Chameleon

Bradypodion ventrale - Southern Dwarf Chameleon

Chamaeleo dilepis - Flap-necked Chameleon

That list of 14 species found in South Africa is actually not correct. There are more species then that in South Africa. Here is the current list:

Bradypodion atromontanum
Bradypodion caeruleogula
Bradypodion caffer
Bradypodion damaranum
Bradypodion dracomontanum
Bradypodion gutturale
Bradypodion kentanicum
Bradypodion melanocephalum
Bradypodion nemorale
Bradypodion nkandlae
Bradypodion occidentale
Bradypodion pumilum
Bradypodion setaroi
Bradypodion taeniabronchum
Bradypodion thamnobates
Bradypodion transvaalense
Bradypodion ventrale
Chamaeleo dilepis/quilensis
Chamaeleo namaquensis

There are also a number of as yet undescribed species that can be found as well. You should note that B. karrooicum is an invalid species now. It was found to be indestinguishable from B. ventrale.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom