Space Heaters for Chameleon Room?

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Well, Autumn and Winter is just around the corner sadly, and it is going to start to get freezing here. to help keep the Chameleons warm can would a space heater help?

Well, Autumn and Winter is just around the corner sadly, and it is going to start to get freezing here. to help keep the Chameleons warm can would a space heater help?
Wait, chameleons? Are you back up to two+ again?

As far as heating goes, it depends on the species. Some space heaters I've noticed kill humidity.

If the room it is in is not too large I'm sure a space heater would work to keep the ambient temp in the room in the low 70's. In that case you won't have to worry about the cham getting too cold when the lights are off. Space heaters can get a little expensive to run if you use them a lot though

How many chams, what kind and what size room are they in? With this information we can better give you some options on what to do to best keep them warm. I am in Montana so I am no stranger to sub zero temps.

How many chams, what kind and what size room are they in? With this information we can better give you some options on what to do to best keep them warm. I am in Montana so I am no stranger to sub zero temps.

Laurie, I only have 1 Chameleon, Female Veiled. I my room is a smaller room probably 7ft. wide. and 10 ft. long. and the walls are quite thin. I am doing my winter work on my room. screwing windows shut, insulating them, and putting plastic on them, etc. So I'm hoping it will help. But just to help keep my room warmer than the rest since it gets chilly, I was thinking of using a space heater.
Zac

space heaters really dry out the air, if you wont be home for all to even extra mistings i would invest in a mistking, or just not use one. you have a veiled though, so it just may not be a problem

Hi,

if your temperatures don't go under 10°C you shouldn't have problems. Chamaeleo calyptratus lives in desert like habitats where big night-day-differences are normal. So they can handle low night temperatures very good. The only thing you should look for is a 50 till 100 Watt spot where your chameleon can warm up every morning. This is important.
People get often the wrong ideas when they think about the climate of Yemen. They always think first about the high day temperatures and not the low night temps. So don't be afraid. If your chameleon is healthy, there won't appear any problems- low night temps are most cases really good for the condition of chameleons.

Best regards
Benny

whoops mispelled Chameleon not Chameleons
If that's the case, your veiled will be fine as stated above.... However, if you do happen to have a montane species or something besides a veiled you will need to make the necessary adjustments....

Not saying you have the chameleons, but just extra info. for the future.

Yes, if the room gets so cold that extra heat is necessary.
In winter, I use a plug-in oil-filled radiator. Which does NOT reduce humidity, is safe, and efficient. At night it ensures the chameleon room doesnt go below 18C / 65F and during the day it ensures the temp of the room is 20C / 68F. Obviously the basking spot is warmer from the heat bulb, and you want a gradient, but I dont want a HUGE difference between the basking area and the ambient temp.

Those oil filled radiators are also extremely safe. They present virtually no fire or burn hazard (they are the only kind recommend for use in nurseries).

space heaters really dry out the air, if you wont be home for all to even extra mistings i would invest in a mistking, or just not use one. you have a veiled though, so it just may not be a problem

I plan on buying a mistking as soon as possible. I am in the process of selling our puppies so if i can get 100 I will definitely invest in one.

Hi,

if your temperatures don't go under 10°C you shouldn't have problems. Chamaeleo calyptratus lives in desert like habitats where big night-day-differences are normal. So they can handle low night temperatures very good. The only thing you should look for is a 50 till 100 Watt spot where your chameleon can warm up every morning. This is important.
People get often the wrong ideas when they think about the climate of Yemen. They always think first about the high day temperatures and not the low night temps. So don't be afraid. If your chameleon is healthy, there won't appear any problems- low night temps are most cases really good for the condition of chameleons.

Best regards
Benny

Thanks Benny! I will wait and see how it goes. it just dropped in temps at night to about 40-50s so I will check on my Chameleon tonight and see how she is doing it. im not sure about my room i will check the temp in there also.

If that's the case, your veiled will be fine as stated above.... However, if you do happen to have a montane species or something besides a veiled you will need to make the necessary adjustments....

Not saying you have the chameleons, but just extra info. for the future.

Oh thanks. I didn't realize that I misspelled it thanks for catching that :)

Yes, if the room gets so cold that extra heat is necessary.
In winter, I use a plug-in oil-filled radiator. Which does NOT reduce humidity, is safe, and efficient. At night it ensures the chameleon room doesnt go below 18C / 65F and during the day it ensures the temp of the room is 20C / 68F. Obviously the basking spot is warmer from the heat bulb, and you want a gradient, but I dont want a HUGE difference between the basking area and the ambient temp.

I will check more into that type of heater thanks!:)

Those oil filled radiators are also extremely safe. They present virtually no fire or burn hazard (they are the only kind recommend for use in nurseries).

do you know where i could purchase one of these? walmart, target, etc.

i got one at Homedepot, another at Rona. Ive seen them at all sorts of places.

i recommend getting one that is digital with at least two timer settings.

Back
Top Bottom