Spotting a Happy vs. Stressed Chameleon - reading the signs

Mtnlaurel

Ok so for a total newbie,where no indicator seems too simple, what are the signs that your chameleon is happy?
What are the signs that you chameleon is stressed?

Basically, how can someone without prior chameleon experience determine if things are going well?

I am just thinking that there have to be signs of a happy, well adjusted chameleon, besides eating and drinking, that we could watch for to know we are doing it right.

Just seems like from reading that by the time they are exhibiting signs of stress, they are already in really deep trouble.

Well their colors are major, within the first week or so you should know the difference between resting/relaxed colors to nervous colors which can either be display/bright colors or hiding/dark colors. Both are signs of a stressed chameleon. Closed eyes when outside a cage is highly indicative of a large amount of stress. Eating and drinking of course is helpful but even stressed chameleons will do this. Leaf walking, an over-exaggerated amount of it so that it gets in the way of actual movement, can be signs of stress. In the beginning of being in a new environment or being outside the cage this is acceptable, but within a few minutes this should settle in my opinion and curiosity should take over.

That's going to be a hard question to answer. Obvious signs of stress or illness in most animals is poor appetite and/or nervous behavior. Chams get stressed from environmental factors like feeling crowded in their territory. My friend had one who would hide when anything moved in the room. Unfortunately they also freeze when they are afraid. One I saw was kept in a cage that had high ambient temperatures and it would pace and dig at the cage every afternoon. You will have to be very observant to learn the norms of your animal/s. Hope someone else can offer you more help.

Yes I agree, chams are very much individuals, especially depending on if your cham is wild caught or captive bred will depend on how it reacts to stress greatly. But individually chams can react very differently to stress. Most wild caught chams are less likely to outwardly show signs of stress that recognizable to us as a whole unless you as a person who keeps this cham knows them personably and what is the norm. You have to be extremely observant. I can honestly say, a change in their normal environment (such as cage or free range) can cause stress reactions in a cham which are usually not really as bad as they sometimes seem to be, because chams do not react well in general to change. (some chams take up to two weeks+ to get used to cage changes) However some stress is not a huge problem with chams (it depends on how long the stress is there for and how much stress they feel/display). If it is constant stress and large amounts of stress for several days etc. this is something you want to change. Small amounts of stress for a short period of time is generally healthy in my opinion. It makes their lives in captivity more similar to the one they would live out in the wilderness. However I do not think we should strive to stress our little ones out. But I do think we should regularly change their cage foliage (in small amounts with nothing that is generally "weird" or dangerous) to make it seem more like their scenery is changing.

Very often members post about their cham's bright "happy colors". Brighter colors don't mean the chams are happy, they mean the chams are stimulated by something...either good or bad stressors. If I were to describe a contented "happy" cham it would be one whose colors are moderately quiet, even dull. It means the cham doesn't need anything to change, that it's at peace in its little world. The stress hormones are hardly firing. The color goes along with posture...quietly perched someplace in the cage for much of the day maybe with a coiled tail, where it feels secure. Maybe dangling a foot or two. Eyes are roaming around but not rapidly. Chams are creatures of habit too. They tend to have their own little routines for the day as well. After warming up in the morning, maybe eating, getting a drink, doing a patrol of their territory, then settling down in a good vantage point until they need to search for a cooler or warmer spot, another drink, or a meal. If you are observant you'll soon learn the pattern. A cham who isn't contented or needs something is restless and doesn't seem to have a place to settle down in at any time.

I agree, and what Carlton means by duller is usually... veileds go a calmer green usually and panthers all have their relative resting colors depending on their locales, jacksons usually have some version of green. Fired up versions are usually often thought to be happy but they are usually upset and like if a male was trying to chase off another male. Dark and unhappy colors can range from darker brown to black. (sorry Carlton just thought I would expand, hope I didn't offend ^^)

I agree, and what Carlton means by duller is usually... veileds go a calmer green usually and panthers all have their relative resting colors depending on their locales, jacksons usually have some version of green. Fired up versions are usually often thought to be happy but they are usually upset and like if a male was trying to chase off another male. Dark and unhappy colors can range from darker brown to black. (sorry Carlton just thought I would expand, hope I didn't offend ^^)
Not a bit! Its sort of a hard thing to describe in words. There is good stress (hunting, watching future meals, enjoying a drink, scouting their turf) and bad stress (fear, anger, sickness, pain). No stress at all means the animal might not even be conscious ;)

Ok, how about body shape? Orientation?

I understand that they tend to make their bodies look "taller" when they feel a lytl threatened. I've also seen him rock once or twice, but mostly belly resting along the branch, cylindrical body shape, tail slightly curled around the branches. What does the happy resting posture look like?

It's good to know that drab doesn't necessarily mean dark. Because my guy actually looks brighter during stressful events, like looming over his cage or moving his lights, getting sprayed directly with water, and fiddling with the scenery in his cage.....

Tails really depend in my opinion, curled tails on a regular basis when a chameleon is awake I don't see regularly except on my jackson... a lot of them use it to anchor themselves when moving around. But I do get curled tails when the are just sitting there sometimes. Signs of heavy stress can sometimes be a completely straight tail, and a whipping tail, though this isn't always definite. Body shape is like puffed up, or trying to hide behind a branch by rotating. Most chams when comfortable just kind of sit there when you come in and watch.

Well their colors are major, within the first week or so you should know the difference between resting/relaxed colors to nervous colors which can either be display/bright colors or hiding/dark colors. Both are signs of a stressed chameleon. Closed eyes when outside a cage is highly indicative of a large amount of stress. Eating and drinking of course is helpful but even stressed chameleons will do this. Leaf walking, an over-exaggerated amount of it so that it gets in the way of actual movement, can be signs of stress. In the beginning of being in a new environment or being outside the cage this is acceptable, but within a few minutes this should settle in my opinion and curiosity should take over.
Leaf walking being that rocking, shaking movement thy do for a few moments wen something is scary?

Yes, and usually they do it if they are severely stressed so much that they can't put their initial foot down for minutes. I have had this happen with some of my rescues when I first switch them to a new cage that is larger.

Mine leaf walks when he hunts. It is a stop start motion they use to disguise themselves as they move. They try to resemble a leaf rocking in the breeze.

What is see is a slightly curled tail, just at the tip, or a resting tail lightly draped over branches.

It's interesting that you mention leaning. He leans half of his body away from the basking lamp quite often, almost like he is presenting the broad side of his body toward the lamp.

So yoo would consider intermittent leaf walking o be normal in response to stressors, but prolonged leaf walking to indicate extreme stress, as in more than, let's say, 10-15 seconds, providing the stress is backed off? Where would you draw the line, between normal and I'm worried?

I can't give you a definitive answer. Mine will leaf walk when I put him in his outdoor cage until he has whipped out all the feeders he can eat. Then he just settles down and suns. When I'm moving around his cage he freezes then resumes whatever he was upto if I bug him too much he will retreat undercover.

10-15 second I wouldn't worry about as a stress response so much, at least not a response to the bad stress mentioned, this a normal thing chameleons do when exploring territory or looking at something new/hunting prey and want to disguise themselves. In my opinion it's worrisome if it persists for a couple minutes or more.

Back
Top Bottom