Spyro's new cage :D

vladdimir26

The cage finally arrived yesterday and I thought I'd take some pictures so you guys can see it :). Spyro LOVES it. He wouldn't stop exploring right after I put him in it! He felt at home right away!

Attachments

• IMG_7905.jpg
    IMG_7905.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_7906.jpg
    IMG_7906.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7907.jpg
    IMG_7907.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7908.jpg
    IMG_7908.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7909.jpg
    IMG_7909.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 171
Cage looks good but you need MORE PLANTS! Try to fill up the cage with a big plant. This is how I have plants in one of my cages:
11-7-11004-1.jpg

I agree with more plants and I also would remove the sponges. Sponges hold so much bacteria and I would not have something like that in the cage. JMO You never know if your chameleon may try to eat it also. They will chomp on things you would never think they would. If those sponges are there for purpose to catch water I would Use a shallow tupperware dish or something else shallow enough if your chameleon fell in, he could get out and not drown. Also cover the mulch in the plant with large river rocks. He may eat that also. What size cage is that? It looks kinda small.

. If those sponges are there for purpose to catch water I would Use a shallow tupperware dish or something else shallow enough if your chameleon fell in, he could get out and not drown.

Yup already put shallow dishes in there thanks for the tip. and it's a 18x14x20

Also cover the mulch in the plant with large river rocks. He may eat that also. .

I think thats gravel. Either way take that out too. Anything small enough for your Cham to eat that he should'nt be eaten should be taken out as a safety precaution.

I feel like he will be outgrowing that cage soon (in about 3-4 months)

Looks really good tho. Good job.

Also, what bulbs are in the lighting fixtures?

EDIT: nevermind about the lighting question. I saw your other thread.

Last edited:
I think thats gravel. Either way take that out too. Anything small enough for your Cham to eat that he should'nt be eaten should be taken out as a safety precaution.

I feel like he will be outgrowing that cage soon (in about 3-4 months)

Looks really good tho. Good job.

They are river rocks. It's a ficus bejamin bonsai tree. When I bought it those rocks came glued to the pot. I tried pulling one of the rocks out to see how glued they were and i gotta say, i couldn't even pull one out so they are pretty safe.

They are river rocks. It's a ficus bejamin bonsai tree. When I bought it those rocks came glued to the pot. I tried pulling one of the rocks out to see how glued they were and i gotta say, i couldn't even pull one out so they are pretty safe.

Ok, thats fine. As long as he can't eat them. Because they seem about the size of jellybeans, which is he can swallow and become impacted with.

You should have some kind of jungle mixture at the bottom instead of newspaper, and maybe instead of plant pots- get some logs, cut them and locate them all over the tank then add some fake plants around it which you can wrap around the logs.

You have do a fantastic job on the cage though!

You should have some kind of jungle mixture at the bottom instead of newspaper, and maybe instead of plant pots- get some logs, cut them and locate them all over the tank then add some fake plants around it which you can wrap around the logs.

That would be perfect for a Terrestrial Lizard. But a Cham will rearly come to the ground.

The news paper will be fine as long as he changes it daily. I just find that newspaper gets soggy when you mist/dripp, then dries and gets stuck and hard to remove or makes a mess
I use Papertowel in my glass viv, and just the PVC tray in my Mesh cages.

The jungle mixture gives the tank a more jungle feeling for the chameleon, and when it does come down to eat- they'd be walking the same thing that is in the jungle. I just think that chameleons should have the closest thing to the natural habitat as possible as they have been taken from it.

Jungle mixture? As in dirt on the floor of the cage? So it can ingest it and get impacted? The paper is fine, I just leave it blank or put paper towel on the bottom... Don't risk impaction for your ignorance and wanting it to look "natural"

The jungle mixture gives the tank a more jungle feeling for the chameleon, and when it does come down to eat- they'd be walking the same thing that is in the jungle. I just think that chameleons should have the closest thing to the natural habitat as possible as they have been taken from it.

jungle mix, as in substrait rite? If yes, then you run the risk of your Cham eating it and getting impacted.

And 90% of Chams don't come to the jungle floor to eat. If my Cham is on the floor of it's cage and it's not about to lay eggs i'd be a lil worried. Just saying!

Some of you guys need to tone it down with your replies. Just saying. :eek:

I agree with no substrate. It looks like that guy may be growing out of that cage soon. I have my adult veiled in a 2x2x4.

you shouldnt have any jungle mixture... that can be eaten causing impaction, can harvest bacteria, and hide feeders

Back
Top Bottom