Substrate is it an issue

I too have an 18x18x24 exo Terra. I have no substrate and soak up the bottom daily. I have yet to come up with a good drainage system. Please share if you do.

I have heard of people drilling into the glass of the exo terra for drainage, but if you get a screen cage with a pvc bottom there are many easy solutions for drainage and they are much easier to clean! They don't look too bad with the white floor and if humidity is a problem, cover 1 or 2 sides with a shower curtain. Much safer and healthier in my opinion.

Another reason is that anything on the bottom of the cage is a breeding ground for crickets. I even had crickets go into the bottom of my plants (the drainage holes) and lay eggs. I then had all these little things running all over the place. It wasn't nice. I had to remove all my plants, take them outside, remove the dirt, clean it all up - again - clean out the cage by removing the floor, clean off the counter the cage was on with some bleach water, etc, etc,; well, you get the drift. I put the plants back in and packed the drainage saucers with paper towels, but about 6 months later it happened again. This is with all the rest of the cage just having a layer of p. towels to absorb spraying water. Now, all my cages have plastic plants. Sorry all you real plant lovers. I just can't deal with the bugs from the plants. Florida has too many plant loving bugs. I don't keep any plants in my house.
I used to have them all over in Colorado. The winter was good for killing off bugs, but not here.

I have just ordered a Reptibreeze XL, If I make a tray to sit in the bottom and then put the rocks on a piece of say egg crate above this, I would be able to access the tray through the lower door and remove any debris that falls through the rocks/egg crate.

Any Ideas if this would be ok or even work? I hate naked bottoms so to speak.

Carpet

Has anyone ever actually had and problems or health issues with using substrate? Everyone always says don’t use substrate but in the wild it’s not as if the Cham’s have spotless clean floors that someone comes in and cleans every day for them.

I have substrate in the bottom of my viv and don’t find any problems with it. I clean his poop out every day so there won’t be any bacteria build-up. And it helps keep the humidity. My Cham is in a Exo Terra so can’t get any drainage in it so the substrate helps soak up any excess water. I then have a heat mat under the viv that evaporates the water in the substrate and keeps the viv nice and humid.

I use. A bearded dragon. Carpet. For. My. Chameleon.
That's. All I use. I refuse. To. Use. Anything. Else

Back
Top Bottom