Supplement question (based in UK)

KatCham

Established Member
Just wanted to check as read mixed opinions.

I currently use Komodo calcium only cricket dust at every feed and Repashy Calcium Plus with D3 and Vit A twice a month (Well I did when Simba was eating regularly!)

Simba isn't eating regularly now since he had eye probs. 2 weeks of not eating then he ate 4 morios with the repashy Calcium plus on.

I think he might have eaten the 2 silks I put in there but I can't be sure.

First question is, has anyone else had their cham only eat once a week/2weeks?
Second is, if Simba will only eat every week/2 weeks, am I better just using the Repashy Calcium Plus alone??

Any advice/experiences greatly appreciated :)

My cham didnt eat for a few weeks but if yours is eating every week or so I would just use calcium + as it contains everything they needs:D

hi Kat. if you could fill this out please it would help us figure out what youre dealing with.

"Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about."

what sort of eye problems where you dealing with btw? swollen? discharge? stuck shut? sunken? and is he over them?

as as far as your initial question goes if youre not gutloading you may want to add a multivitamin (not just + vit a), especially if you arent gutloading.

and when did he eat last just recently? thats a good sign.

and if he eats only once every 2 weeks you may as well add some of the repashy plus....but if the crickets are getting a lot of vit a in their diet. plus the vitamin a from the supplement that unto itself can cause issues namely edema and/or kidney problems... hence why you should fill that out cause i cant give you any clear answers with just that

Thanks tiff ;)

Filled out answers below anyway. Within quoted section. If it helps, it helps. I am just asking about the brands of supplements mainly, but also wondered if other chams are showing a reduced appetite?

hi Kat. if you could fill this out please it would help us figure out what youre dealing with.

"Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Bb ambilobe x nosey be male. 14 months old. Had him 11 months.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely. To move to plant for clean out or to go outside. Every day when he needed eye drops put in.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Locusts, morios, silks, occasional wax. Offering 6 to 8 feeders every other day as he stopped eating daily around 9 to 10 months. Gut load silks with chow, locusts with a mix of collards, carrot, orange, broccoli, parsley(just a little) all blended, cubed and frozen and defrosted as needed. Morios with carrot. Locusts and morios have bug grub too.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? As advised above.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mist 3 times a day and a little dripper. Mist till everything soaked. Yes he drinks.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown mass, urates white.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Yes, negative.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Had swollen eyes a few weeks back. As per vet advice sterilised whole set up and changed plants to yuccas. Removed exo terra vines and replaced with lucky reptile vines. Vet gave steroid/antibiotic drops. Eyes now back to normal. This was about a month ago now.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze mesh 16 x 16 x 30
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0 uv tube. 60w bulb for basking. 12 hours light
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
Basking is 90. Bottom is 70 to 75. Night is 65 to 70.
Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Digital thermometer
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 65% plus. Misting and yucca plants. Humidity analog dial
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes as above
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Spare room. No vents. I am the only traffic when I mist and feed. Cage top about 5 feet from floor
Location - Where are you geographically located? Houghton le spring, north east England. Uk

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about." not eating regularly. Am I using the correct supplement?

what sort of eye problems where you dealing with btw? swollen? discharge? stuck shut? sunken? and is he over them? Swollen like balloons! Over it now.

as as far as your initial question goes if youre not gutloading you may want to add a multivitamin (not just + vit a), especially if you arent gutloading. I am gut loading and is the calcium plus not a multi vit? I'm trying to be sure of brands in the uk. Thinking of changing to the zoo med ones.

and when did he eat last just recently? thats a good sign. 4 dusted morios 11 days ago. 2 silks put in yesterday but not convinced he ate them. Although I can't see them anywhere in the enclosure.

and if he eats only once every 2 weeks you may as well add some of the repashy plus....but if the crickets are getting a lot of vit a in their diet. plus the vitamin a from the supplement that unto itself can cause issues namely edema and/or kidney problems... hence why you should fill that out cause i cant give you any clear answers with just that
don't use crix.

That's why I asked about the brands as I don't want to overload with vit a but if he only eats once a fortnight do I use calcium only or the repashy calcium plus which has d3and vit a??

Thanks in advance for feedback x

My vet told me today that you would have to use an awful lot of supplement powder to overdose them with anything. I am going to get some of that Calcium Plus stuff too.

Oh that's reassuring tiff, thanks hun

So I'll be ok using that alone. Unless he feels the need to eat more often then I'll dust with calcium only too x

calcium plus is a good product for daily dusting, although just to be safe with vitamin A, i would get some repashy vitamin a only supplement, and give it to them 1 time a month or every 3 weeks. If you dotn wana get that you can just take a vitamin A supplement for humans and get a little drop and put on one cricket every 3 weeks

Reactions: Hoj
Simba's eye issue has been resolved. Kat is now just asking about supplementation. Details of Simba's problem can be seen here - I don't think there's a need to fill out the 'how to ask for help' form again just for supplement advice. https://www.chameleonforums.com/help-eye-problem-simba-75689/

lol MY FAULT i didnt realize this was an extension on a previous thread

Thanks. Just worried I'd be overloading on vit a.

i agree you should be fine with that amount of vitamin a.

"Feeding - Locusts(staple) wax worms, morio worms, butter worms, silk worms. 6 feeders mon wed and fri, now daily as he seems a bit thin although he puffs himself out and sucks himself in all of the time?? Locusts gut loaded with cabbage, carrot, peppers, watercress, romaine etc and Bug grub and bug gel...Supplements - Komodo cricket dust calcium only no d3every feed (mon and fri, now every day except for multi vit day) T rex chameleon calcium plus which is a calcium, multi vitamin(inc vit a) with d3 powder used once a week"

if youre still using the locusts id just make sure the carrots youre feeding arent a staple in their diet.

I currently use Komodo calcium only cricket dust at every feed and Repashy Calcium Plus with D3 and Vit A twice a month

does that mean you cut the "T rex chameleon calcium plus which is a calcium, multi vitamin" and replaced it with the repashy since your eye problem thread?

im really not familiar with these brands of supplement but if youve removed the multivitamin completely and are not able to provide (or if he wont accept) gutloadable feeders in his current condition id add one.

Thanks.

No I haven't cut the calcium plus.

When he ate the 4 morios 2 weeks after his eye prob clearing up, they were dusted with the calcium plus with d3 and vit a (think it is a multi vit??)

Because he isn't eating through the week, he isn't get the calcium only supplement.

So if he only eats every 2 weeks, do i stop using calcium only, and just use the calcium plus with d3 and vit a? (i think it is a multi vitamin supplement)

I'm not offering him anything until Sunday, when I will try silks.
I figure it best to get the best feeder into him when he does eat!!
(I will dust these with calcium plus)

If he eats, I then won't offer anything until Wednesday. Which I will dust with calcium only.

Then the following Sunday, feeders with calcium plus.

I'll carry this pattern on and hope he eats!! LOL

Then he'll hopefully be getting all the supplements he needs.
All feeders are gutloaded so he'll get nutrients from them too.

Not a lot of carrot used, just a little bit :)

i have a problem getting some of the makes of things you all say as i am also from the uk and have to find the closest thing to it :)

If he only eats once every few weeks I would use the multi vitamins so that you know he is getting them at least once a month. Plus you really want to gutload everything REALLY REALLY well so that he gets some natural minerals and vitamins with the insects.

Back
Top Bottom