Supplementing

Ryanjohnson

I have had a baby chameleon for about a week now and I haven't got him to eat one cricket with calcium. He stays In a corner so it is hard to get him to eat regular crickets in the first place but I'm afraid he might get bone disease. Any help would be appreciated

Well you can try to feed the crickets a high calcium gut load a few days before. Calcium kills crickets so you only gut load enough to feed off in a few days. Other than that you cham might just not like the taste of your brand. I use stickytonguefarms, and they say its berry flavored. So far i havent had anything not eat it.

In other news the bearded dragons oral medicine from the vet was bubble gum flavored...

I will definitely look into different calcium flavors. Any suggestions on how to feed. He is still afraid of my hand so I'm basically just putting crickets on the side of the screen cage and hoping they go near him. This does not work very well

If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum we can see if you are doing things right. Also post a photo of the chameleon and its setup

My chameleon is a three week old veiled Male Cham. I have not handled him yet but my brother handled him one time for a few seconds. I am feeding him small crickets but he doesn't eat any that have calcium on them ( when I try I use repti calcium ) I don't have a schedule for feeding him because he is very unpredictable he eats like 3-5 crickets a day and I am feeding the crickets flukers cricket calcium and water. My chameleon enclosure is sprayed about 5 times a day. I got him from the pet store. I'm looking to get him to eat a regular diet and that's what I need help with. He has a screen cage that is usually kept around 75 and the humidity level is 55. He basks for most of the day under a zoo med mini combo deep dome lamp fixture with a 5.0 uvb 13 watt bulb and a 60 watt daylight blue reptile bulb. His cage is 16" 16" by 30" and about three feet off the ground. I have two live scheffleras but the rest fake plants. I live in Maryland. He is currently shedding. I need help getting him to eat a steady diet with the right supplements. I currently have no schedule

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom